Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgraded to 5DII...need advice
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
The Unibomber
Hey guys, picked up a 5D for a sick deal on Black Friday. Now I need to deal with swapping my old lenses for ones that will work on the FF camera.

Right now I have:

Tamron 17-50 2.8
Canon 10-22

(and 50 1.8 and 70-200 2.8 IS but those aren't going anywhere)

I have been looking for a Canon 17-40 to replace the 10-22 but am a little stuck when it comes to what to replace the 17-50 with.

Here is what I'm considering (all prices are used):

Canon 24-70 2.8 (~$1000)
Tamron 28-75 2.8 (~$350)
Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM (~$650)

Right now I am leaning towards the Sigma because of the lower price and lighter weight compared to the canon as well as what seems to be better center sharpness.

Anyone have any insight here? (sample photos appreciated)
Martin
Isn't atleast the Tamron 28-75 for crop-sensor only?

I think you're better off saving for a 24-105 f2,8 or f4 IS.
Jacob Photo
if you previously had a 17-50 and a 70-200, but nothing in between 50mm and 70mm, why do you suddenly want to fill that gap? Why not just get a 17-40 for wide angle, use the 50mm as a 'in between' lens, and stick with the 70-200?

What do you shoot most often?
The Unibomber
QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Nov 28 2011, 12:36 AM) *
if you previously had a 17-50 and a 70-200, but nothing in between 50mm and 70mm, why do you suddenly want to fill that gap? Why not just get a 17-40 for wide angle, use the 50mm as a 'in between' lens, and stick with the 70-200?

What do you shoot most often?

well here's how I think of it.

Before I had a 10-22 which on full frame is like 16-35. I need to replace that focal range because I need it for rig shots and other UWA fun. Not quite long enough for a walk around lens. A 17-40 would cover me there.

I had the 17-50 which on a FF body is like 27-80. That focal range is my go to for walk around and as such 2.8 is usually particularly useful/fun. Tamron 28-75 would cover me there and since I'm trading my 17-50 for it (which sells for the same price used) it will hold me over until I want/can afford something else.

I'm keeping the 70-200 so that doesn't change. I quite possibly may be missing something but am I not just swapping lenses with those of the FF focal length equivalents and not actually filling any gaps?

As far as what I shoot, I mostly shoot cars. Racing once and then but not as much as I'd like. Otherwise I've been doing a lot of nightclub stuff recently. I travel a lot and I'm either moving to NYC or Saudi Arabia in 2 months so having a good middle of the road walk around lens will be important.

Martin, nope the 28-75 is totally fine on the 5D and doesnt have the same small image circle as the 17-50.
Martin
I can strongly recommend Canon 35 mm f2, my best buy for the 5D so far. Suits both cars and people perfectly.
John Potts
I have the tamron and I love it. I found it for $250 on POTN, every now and again it'll have a bit of trouble focusing but after switching from manual back to automatic it works fine. Here are some samples from it, now these have been edited but you get the picture.

^ that ones at 2.8
The Unibomber
QUOTE(John Potts @ Nov 30 2011, 10:01 AM) *
I have the tamron and I love it. I found it for $250 on POTN, every now and again it'll have a bit of trouble focusing but after switching from manual back to automatic it works fine. Here are some samples from it, now these have been edited but you get the picture.

^ that ones at 2.8

Just got mine today so havent had time to play with it but those seem sharp!
Jacob Photo
QUOTE(The Unibomber @ Nov 29 2011, 08:19 PM) *
well here's how I think of it.

Before I had a 10-22 which on full frame is like 16-35. I need to replace that focal range because I need it for rig shots and other UWA fun. Not quite long enough for a walk around lens. A 17-40 would cover me there.

I had the 17-50 which on a FF body is like 27-80. That focal range is my go to for walk around and as such 2.8 is usually particularly useful/fun. Tamron 28-75 would cover me there and since I'm trading my 17-50 for it (which sells for the same price used) it will hold me over until I want/can afford something else.

I'm keeping the 70-200 so that doesn't change. I quite possibly may be missing something but am I not just swapping lenses with those of the FF focal length equivalents and not actually filling any gaps?

As far as what I shoot, I mostly shoot cars. Racing once and then but not as much as I'd like. Otherwise I've been doing a lot of nightclub stuff recently. I travel a lot and I'm either moving to NYC or Saudi Arabia in 2 months so having a good middle of the road walk around lens will be important.

Martin, nope the 28-75 is totally fine on the 5D and doesnt have the same small image circle as the 17-50.

I understand the need for the UWA (17-40) and the 70-200 for long work, I don't see the need for a lens between 40mm and 70mm, especially if you have a 50mm.

The difference between 40mm and 50mm is literally 2 steps when you are 'walking around' as you admit. I can't think of many situations where you would be 'walking around' with a 17-40 and possibly a 50mm in your pocket and you'd 'need' a focal length between 50mm and 70mm that you couldn't either take 2 or 3 steps closer for, or the extra 20mm in focal length wouldn't make a big difference. If you're blocked by a barrier (IE fence, wall, etc), it's likely that the extra 20mm wouldn't make that much of a difference and you're better off just shooting a bit wide and cropping down later.
The Unibomber
QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Nov 30 2011, 07:32 PM) *
I understand the need for the UWA (17-40) and the 70-200 for long work, I don't see the need for a lens between 40mm and 70mm, especially if you have a 50mm.

The difference between 40mm and 50mm is literally 2 steps when you are 'walking around' as you admit. I can't think of many situations where you would be 'walking around' with a 17-40 and possibly a 50mm in your pocket and you'd 'need' a focal length between 50mm and 70mm that you couldn't either take 2 or 3 steps closer for, or the extra 20mm in focal length wouldn't make a big difference. If you're blocked by a barrier (IE fence, wall, etc), it's likely that the extra 20mm wouldn't make that much of a difference and you're better off just shooting a bit wide and cropping down later.

Im just now realizing how much you can really crop a 5DII photo. Going from 10mp to 21 has been interesting. That said, I just tried out the 28-75 yesterday and I dig it. Its cheap enough that its worth keeping for me.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.