Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru BRZ anyone?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
911xx
Is this place really that dead or has anyone NOT heard of the Subaru BRZ, the Subaru equivalent to the Scion FR-S (Toyota FT-86). Same specs, somewhat different look. What is confirmed as of now:

-4 cylinder boxer engine 2.0
-Center of gravity lower than a Porsche Cayman
-Size of a Mazda MX-5
-2+2
-RWD, 6 speed MT or 6 speed AT with paddle shifter
-Naked version 2650 lbs, fully equipped version 2775 lbs
-197 hp, 158 lbs torque
-7500 rpm redline

LA autoshow with first pics and specs for the BRZ
shandyman5
It is that dead.... I love it! Much better than the Toyota version....
skr
The official unveiling of the FT86 will be at the Tokyo Auto Show coming up. I believe what's pictured here is a concept still, but should be very close to the production models leaked in the recent Toyota catalogs and magazines.
Bjorn
I kinda like the FT86 version better . . . it's more daring.

This one is pretty though, but that front is channeling the RX-8 something fierce.

So, Hyundai, Toyota and Subaru all have small RWD coupes. I wonder what Mazda and Nissan are waiting for . . .
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 21 2011, 04:08 PM) *
I kinda like the FT86 version better . . . it's more daring.

This one is pretty though, but that front is channeling the RX-8 something fierce.

So, Hyundai, Toyota and Subaru all have small RWD coupes. I wonder what Mazda and Nissan are waiting for . . .

370Z?
Bjorn
About $15K more than these cars will probably be.

I'm talking about a revival of the small, peppy and cheap Japanese (and Korean now) coupe. That being said, if Nissan wanted to drop the 200bhp four-banger from the SE-R spec V in a 370Z chassis and cut the price by $10k, I would be satisfied by that move.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 21 2011, 04:16 PM) *
About $15K more than these cars will probably be.

I'm talking about a revival of the small, peppy and cheap Japanese (and Korean now) coupe. That being said, if Nissan wanted to drop the 200bhp four-banger from the SE-R spec V in a 370Z chassis and cut the price by $10k, I would be satisfied by that move.

You are plain delusional if you think either this BRZ or the FT-86 will start at $16k.
Bjorn
I'm thinking in CDN dollars.

Although, hasn't Toyota said that the FT-86 will start around US$20,000?

P.S. Just found out that us Canucks are asked to pay $10K more for a 370Z than our American cousins. WTF Nissan?
911xx
22 to 28k are rumors.. And also, I wouldnt say that the genesis coupe is a 'small' coupe. Geez, place it next to any car and it looks pretty big, especialy next to a miata or even a 370Z. It's mustang sized.
moe
I have it on good authority that the Toyota version will start at $23k.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 21 2011, 04:49 PM) *
I have it on good authority that the Toyota version will start at $23k.

It better, considering the equivalent Genesis Coupe starts at $22,250, and the new facelifted model is drop dead sexy.
Bjorn
^I disagree. The new Genesis is a serious step back. It looks like a bass.
350Z
Should have found a turbo lump to put in it instead, it's the one thing that put me off this and the FT-86.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 21 2011, 05:35 PM) *

Couldn't have said it better. Very disappointed with the facelift.
911xx
Are people comparing the MX-5 to the Genesis? Then why should the BRZ/FR-S be compared to it then?
MustangAficionado
teh new hotness
DB9
I don't think anyone is comparing the mx-5 to the genesis... I'm not sure why the mx-5 is being brought up, I feel like its in a different segment then the genesis and the BRZ.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(DB9 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:26 PM) *
I don't think anyone is comparing the mx-5 to the genesis... I'm not sure why the mx-5 is being brought up, I feel like its in a different segment then the genesis and the BRZ.

Small RWD high revving light weight 4cyl. I guess its not convertable and a 2 seater?
clarkma5
I'm preferring the Scion but these are both brilliant. I love how they actually went for compact, lightweight, and good balance instead of just POWAH. I love naturally aspirated response and hopefully it'll sound cool being a flat four.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 22 2011, 02:35 AM) *

Have to agree here. New Genesis coupe still looks good, but it's a step backwards from the current car. Reminds me of old Hyundai. Constantly screwing up perfectly good-looking cars with facelifts.

QUOTE(DB9 @ Nov 22 2011, 06:26 AM) *

The MX-5 is being brought up becuase, I along with many others, feel it's actually the FT-86/BRZ's closest competitor. There are no other RWD, lightweight sports cars that focus more on fun than other things. The Genesis may fall into the same price range, but I feel it's more of a competitor for the larger RWD coupes. In the same price range, the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger come to mind. For the more expensive models, I'd go with the 370Z, RX8, and G37 coupe.a

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 22 2011, 08:02 AM) *
I'm preferring the Scion but these are both brilliant. I love how they actually went for compact, lightweight, and good balance instead of just POWAH. I love naturally aspirated response and hopefully it'll sound cool being a flat four.

Agreed 100%.
Synesthesia
^+1, really looking forward to the release of these cars, next car maybe?! Looks weird in Subaru blue with STI center caps/brakes. biggrin.gif
dukenukem
NA motor with nice and strong STI BBS rims and brembo brakes. mmmmmmm
BlackJack
So I forgot to mention that I live 30 seconds from the New England Subaru headquarters in Norwood, MA. I was driving home today after work and saw this on the way.

Sorry for the bad quality but I was just so excited to see this! Definitely worthy of a long bump!
UserDrew
To answer your question: yes. Oh god, yes. I'm stuck in a perpetual midlife crisis and coupes like these are my type of cars. Great find sighting. It reminds me of a more modern looking 260z. That's a good thing.
RallyCat909
I guess Im retarded, but I don't understand the pricing of these cars. They all claim Colin Chapman ideology of less is more, less electronics, complex suspensions, and relatively spartan interiors, but then they want 28k for the same fun you could have in a small peppy economy car. It seems to me that at 25k these cars should be nicely equipped and with the turbo or supercharger or whatever shit they are going to come out with in the next year or two for another $3000.

Also the BRZ looks like a catfish. Damn.
clarkma5
$25k isn't bad. They're on a bespoke platform with a reasonably bespoke powertrain, they're going to be pretty low volume, they come quite well equipped (I mean the base BRZ has standard navi for crissakes...wish they didn't do that, but for $26k there aren't any other cars I can think of that can do that).

Also, let's not kid ourselves about car prices these days, they've changed a lot in ten years. $25k is a mid-range Focus or 3 or other compact car, you can get an Accord way past 30k. We no longer live in the days when economy cars were in the mid-teens and family sedans were loaded for the mid to high 20s. 25k is a pretty damned affordable car these days.
RallyCat909
Yeah Clark, I guess you're tight. But GPS is still a stupid option if you have a smartphone. Better to have an area where your smartphone will mount, and I'll keep my $1200.
clarkma5
I agree, the Subaru's standard navi is 90% of the reason I want the FR-S over the BRZ. I just don't want to pay for OEM navigation that is overpriced and gets outdated quickly.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 3 2012, 10:59 AM) *
I agree, the Subaru's standard navi is 90% of the reason I want the FR-S over the BRZ. I just don't want to pay for OEM navigation that is overpriced and gets outdated quickly.

Seriously. The MFD2 in the R32 feels so fucking outdated :-(

I almost wanna go all-out and replace it with a Mac Mini or an iPad or something hackish like that but I'm not sure if there will be a nice way to integrate that with the FIS... because fuck paying for a MacBook Pro to have a shitty resistive touchscreen (on the RNS-510, cheapest price for a new unit is like $1500 last I checked).
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 3 2012, 07:02 AM) *
Seriously. The MFD2 in the R32 feels so fucking outdated :-(

I almost wanna go all-out and replace it with a Mac Mini or an iPad or something hackish like that but I'm not sure if there will be a nice way to integrate that with the FIS... because fuck paying for a MacBook Pro to have a shitty resistive touchscreen (on the RNS-510, cheapest price for a new unit is like $1500 last I checked).

That's where i agree with Clark... all you need a good stereo with BT integration, and a place to mount your smart phone, because in the end of the day I rather use my smart phone for the GPS instead of built in.
clarkma5
I'm a fan of the "look it up on google maps before you go, memorize it, and if you get lost along the way then figure it out because the entire process is what's going to help you learn where shit is next time" approach. I get to practice that a lot because I'm learning my way around Seattle nowadays...
Bjorn
Maybe it's cuz I live in a smaller city (~700,000 people) but I don't understand why I see so many people using sat-nav.

When visiting another place, it's useful, no doubt. But you shouldn't need it on a daily basis. I certainly wouldn't pay thousands to have one installed in my car.
moe
I think the world would be a better place if you could get a factory-installed Garmin unit. One that would pop-out, so you could carry it with you, link to your computer, upgrade, then pop back in the car. I've got a POS PSA nav system, and Peugeot wants something like $250 just to upgrade it. The interface is dated, the controls are iffy at best...meh.
Bjorn
I'm not sure what the illegal software situation is like in your part of the world, but for my Dad's Lexus I found the Nav update online, downloaded it and bob's you're uncle.

The Lexus used a DVD to transfer the info, but you might be able to do it over USB or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.