Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new 3
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
DB9

What do you guys think of it?

clarkma5
Pretty predictable throughout, the headlight treatment grew on me quickly. I find that the 3 is too bland overall though, I find myself wishing for something more aggressive in the segment and there really isn't anything.
Razor
They took the conservative 3 that I did not find offensive, just somewhat bland, and they made it look high-tech and aggressive. LOVE it.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 1 2011, 01:46 AM) *
They took the conservative 3 that I did not find offensive, just somewhat bland, and they made it look high-tech and aggressive. LOVE it.

Quoting for DS record books. Raspberry.gif
350Z
Is this the M-Sport or the SE?

Edit: Nevermind I see it's the sport.
Bjorn
I like the i8 inspired front, but the rest is much much too similar to the E90.

Looks like more of a refresh of that car than a new model, which is kinda disappointing considering the variation between the E30, E36, E46 and E90.

Maybe it will be more striking in person.
b0mb3r
Dear BMW, would you put the damn window switches where the belong? On the other hand, this is not bad but I still prefer the A4/C-class looks.
Aircooled
I didn't even realize they put the window switches in the wrong spot. Exteriorly I love it
Bjorn
Where are the switches?

If they're on the centre console, I love that. My '83 RX-7 had them there too, and it was great.
moe
I'm unmoved by it. The chrome snout just pisses me off. If I was shopping in this segment, I'd take the G37 or CTS (I realize they're slightly larger cars, but whatever).
Halflifehavock13
It looks a bit annoyed.
SwissWhiskey
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Nov 1 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Dear BMW, would you put the damn window switches where the belong? On the other hand, this is not bad but I still prefer the A4/C-class looks.

QUOTE(Aircooled @ Nov 1 2011, 06:13 PM) *
I didn't even realize they put the window switches in the wrong spot. Exteriorly I love it

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 1 2011, 07:23 PM) *
Where are the switches?

If they're on the centre console, I love that. My '83 RX-7 had them there too, and it was great.

They are by the door handle, on the door armrest, like most cars.

Thought it would grow on me, but hasn't yet. Too many lines. Can't they make the designs simpler? Maybe I'll like it more in person. Saw the new 1 series in person and looks a lot better then on pictures.

BMW is loosing its modjo. Drove our E60 530i and a new F10 535i back to back (both with standard suspension) on some twisties and I was VERY disappointed with the new one. The new 5 series didn't feel as planted, and rolled more in corners. You could really feel the extra weight. Worst of all was the steering. Numb, too light, felt fake, absolutely ZERO feedback. I didn't know where the front wheels were and found myself correcting midway through corners. It didn't feel exiting and was missing the edge the old one had. The old one communicates far more info to the driver, and gives you more confidence.

I'll have to drive the new 3 to see. Hopes aren't high...
shandyman5
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Nov 5 2011, 03:12 PM) *
They are by the door handle, on the door armrest, like most cars.

Thought it would grow on me, but hasn't yet. Too many lines. Can't they make the designs simpler? Maybe I'll like it more in person. Saw the new 1 series in person and looks a lot better then on pictures.

BMW is loosing its modjo. Drove our E60 530i and a new F10 535i back to back (both with standard suspension) on some twisties and I was VERY disappointed with the new one. The new 5 series didn't feel as planted, and rolled more in corners. You could really feel the extra weight. Worst of all was the steering. Numb, too light, felt fake, absolutely ZERO feedback. I didn't know where the front wheels were and found myself correcting midway through corners. It didn't feel exiting and was missing the edge the old one had. The old one communicates far more info to the driver, and gives you more confidence.

I'll have to drive the new 3 to see. Hopes aren't high...

Welcome to the world of EPS for steering. Everyone said the same thing when rack and pinion became popular. No one likes EPS yet, but someone will make a proper system. Hopefully Porsche does it right on the new 991 911.

And yes, the window switches are normal on the doors. The e46 had them on the center console.
Aircooled
They're soo much better on the center console...
Altostratus
fuck the window switches, get them to accurately label the door unlock button and put it on the door.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 5 2011, 06:17 PM) *
Welcome to the world of EPS for steering. Everyone said the same thing when rack and pinion became popular. No one likes EPS yet, but someone will make a proper system. Hopefully Porsche does it right on the new 991 911.

The one on the Golf is not that bad, but may be BMW is held to different standards.

QUOTE(Aircooled @ Nov 6 2011, 10:32 AM) *
They're soo much better on the center console...

thumbs_up.gif

[quote name='Altostratus' date='Nov 6 2011, 01:38 PM' post='517823']
fuck the window switches, get them to accurately label the door unlock button and put it on the door.

I really liked them by the gear shift on my e28s (or the e36)...
MustangAficionado
Example why BMW is losing its edge as a drivers car: we're talking about window switches.
moe
In other news, I've read a very positive review for the F10 M5 in the newest EVO.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 9 2011, 04:50 AM) *
In other news, I've read a very positive review for the F10 M5 in the newest EVO.

I as well in the new C&D as well as R&T. They loved it! They said it rsets the benchmark.

0-60 in 3.7 ain't exactly bad either.

Also, both hinted the US will be getting a manual version!
moe
If it was anything like the manual in the outgoing model, they can keep it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.