Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost my phone in auto heaven
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
SwissWhiskey
Woke up yesterday (Saturday) at 01:00 PM. Above-ground fog, typical for autumn, didn't look like it was going anywhere. So phoned up a Friend and organized a little drive. I wanted to see the Sun. The plan was to go check out an Alpine pass I've never been on. Only problem is its Autumn and most passes are closed. I checked online and my fear was confirmed: closed. Dug a bit further and found out the west side of the pass was open almost to the top. Worth a look?

Google Maps made me drool drool3.gif A road that leads to.... well nowhere since you can't go down the other side. Place is called Susten Pass
http://g.co/maps/2cg5r

Only car around was the A(ss)-Class so I grabbed that and met up with my friend and his Mini.

After being stuck one and a half hours behind Buses and Dutch Tourists we started charging up the hill. Not a single car. An absolute perfect road with all the kind of corners you could wish for. We had an alpine pass all to ourselves. In the end we managed to go all the way to the top of the pass at 2240 meters (7350ft) above sea level.

At 2100m above sea level.

Tucking a wheel.

I was the Socker Mom.

Most Hairpins we're slightly banked. Made life in FWD car bit easier.

At the Top! Absolutely no one around.

On the way down again.

-------

I coulnd't find my phone on the way home. I thought it slipped under the passenger seat. I got home and dismantled the car and photo bag but found nothing. Also couldn't find a windbreaker which I brought with me. I left both somewhere up on the pass when I was taking pics.... set the alarm for 07:00 AM. I'm heading back up there...

Woke up, removed the back seats out of the the A-Class (weigh about 40-50Kg total), increased tire pressure by a notch and I was off. 1.5 hours later I was carving my way back up the pass. Did make a small but welcome difference. Felt a bit more nimble. A200 weighs 1270kg with back seats.

One after the other.... nomnomnomnomnom

I checked every location I stopped yesterday at. Glad I brought the camera.

I finally ran out of road. I spent a bit more than 1 hour walking/driving around but I found nothing. FML

What a place to loose an iPhone and a Jacket....

Found a video of an M3 CSL making its way up the pass in the summer. Tons of traffic.

Now share your favorite roads!
Diesel
HOLY SHIT BALLS I AM JEALOUS. wowww.. The most epic drive i ever had was down Airline Highway from Hollister down to SoCal.

http://g.co/maps/6959w
dukenukem
QUOTE(Diesel @ Oct 16 2011, 12:50 PM) *
HOLY SHIT BALLS I AM JEALOUS. wowww..

This. I can only imagine how much fun the the guy driving the Mini was having!
caster
So you "lost" your phone huh? I'd leave mine their purposely just to have an excuse to return. As stated above that looks like driving heaven and I can't help but hear Jeremy Clarkson describe it as "concrete spaghetti." Beautiful photos and thank you for sharing! smile.gif

Edit: Jesus christ some of the passes in the video are scary. Is it normal to be taking up the left lane like that on backroads? I haven't seen that here in LA when I've gone canyon running, I was passed up one time on the left by some douchebag in a G37 who almost got into a car accident after.
SwissWhiskey
QUOTE(caster @ Oct 17 2011, 06:45 AM) *
Edit: Jesus christ some of the passes in the video are scary. Is it normal to be taking up the left lane like that on backroads? I haven't seen that here in LA when I've gone canyon running, I was passed up one time on the left by some douchebag in a G37 who almost got into a car accident after.

Very normal. Though not everyone is going to pass on an mountain. Especially in underpowered cars.

2:11 I would have waited, blind high speed corner was coming up.
2:20 Acceptable. The more power the easier. I would have waited for this one in the A-Class, more because lack of power.
2:24 Perfect (look at the visibility).
2:50 Perfect, car in front of him was standing still, he had perfect visibility out of the hairpin and he nails it. Big speed difference.
6:20 Same as above. Overtaken car was basically standing still.
7:20 I would of hesitated. Then again he was in a CSL. He could of pulled over earlier.

I reminder of how not to overtake.
http://youtu.be/4st-ALVAKuE
Bjorn
Find my iPhone?
SwissWhiskey
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 17 2011, 02:42 PM) *
Find my iPhone?

Didn't have it set up. Batteries dead by now.
Synesthesia
I had a chance this summer to take a few blasts through the Swiss Alps (Furkapass is probably the most famous stretch) and it was just awesome. More respect for Golf TDIs now . biggrin.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Oct 18 2011, 11:16 AM) *
I had a chance this summer to take a few blasts through the Swiss Alps (Furkapass is probably the most famous stretch) and it was just awesome. More respect for Golf TDIs now . biggrin.gif

Further proof that there is no reason to buy a Prius. Ever.
Seethegrim
Wow. eek.gif
moe
God that looks epic. Makes me want to go out for a drive. Had the opportunity to drive out for a meeting on Sunday in Oman (where the roads are gorgeous), but decided against it, seeing as I've just resigned.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Oct 20 2011, 11:42 AM) *
God that looks epic. Makes me want to go out for a drive. Had the opportunity to drive out for a meeting on Sunday in Oman (where the roads are gorgeous), but decided against it, seeing as I've just resigned.

You're now unemployed or in a new job?
moe
Quit because I got a better offer. Completely different job in the same field, which is more of what I'd like to be doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.