Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what monitor to buy ?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
Konrad Janicki
I'm thinking about a new screen but dont really know what to look for. I know there are difrent types like S-PVA or TFT but whoch one is the best?

In a shop the owner said that Eizo FlexScan S2100 would be good for editing shots - what do you think
GFWilliams
I'd suggest going slightly larger and make sure you go for 1920x1080 resolution. 24" and that res is what I run, although my screen isn't amazing.

Most important bit is to calibrate whatever you buy...
Konrad Janicki
ok I will look for a 24' screen but still don't know what too look for in a screen
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(Konrad Janicki @ Oct 11 2011, 01:36 AM) *
ok I will look for a 24' screen but still don't know what too look for in a screen

I got the HP 25" LED and love it.

The main thing to look for is low response times (eliminates ghosting) and resolution, 1920x1200 will give you more vertical room, but is a lesser common format. Also want to stay near a monitors native resolution, going to a huge size with still a middle of the road resolution wont bring much to the table.
Other things to consider for a monitor you will use a lot, and in bright environments is viewing angle and screen panel coating, and also the stand/mount it has in order to adjust up and down and all axis.
The other thing you'll see is contrast, which is advertised a lot cuz companies fudge the hell out of it and make wild claims (mainly about dynamic ratios, stick do static ratios if need be) which are supposed to measure true black vs true white.
Konrad Janicki
thx smile.gif any one has to say anything more ?
e30_324d
i have a 23,6" full HD TFT wide screen (resolution 1920x1080px) from MEDION and i'm very happy with this monitor. thumbs_up.gif
DB9
Probably want to stay away from glossy screens to avoid glare from lights in the house. Matte finish is generally much better. I'm not sure how many are available in matte finishes though.
bkl
i find any of the newer LCD/LED monitors are pretty decent. my friend just picked up a Dell 24" ISP blah blah top of the line 24" from dell for 450... my brother has an asus 27" led for about $310.. with the dell ultrasharps.. apparently color accuracy is pretty damn good! up there with the apple displays...

i find you should get a 24" within your price range ... led has amazing contrast ratio and power consumption. add a bit more and you can get some with usbs and tilt/height/rotation adjustments .. im somewhat in the market for one too and would pick up something pre-calibrated pretty well over something that needs to be played with. ATM im using an ACER 24" and i find the stock settings are really bright and even toned down the brightness and it still feels bright.. i swap over the pic to my ipad/iphone to compare and somewhat calibrated my monitor brightness to that, otherwise all my pics would be a tad too dark on all your screens
DonJuanMair
this may be a retarded question but im going to ask anyway. When you say get it calibrated what standards are you calibrating it to?
the ones at my work are calibrated to that print our magazines......so that makes sense.....but as for home......
Konrad Janicki
ok thx for the answers, I whanted to know what screens do you prefer becouse mine has a really small angel when the colors are ok and the looking more from the side it's starting to get mor contrasty and darker. So I have to get something better.

Calibration is a problem too, I'm not printing anything so its for home use so does it need calibration other then setting the right contrast and rgb colors in the monitors menu?
Nike SB'd
Oh man this is a discussion that I could go on and on about but to be honest I don't have the energy to dive into it right now.

What Mustang Aficionado said about response time couldn't be further from the truth for photo editing, as a matter of fact the monitors that reproduce color the most accurately (like the Eizo CG221 which is a $6000 monitor) actually have very slow response times compared to most displays. Fast response is great for movies and video games where the screen is changing very quickly, but for color critical work it's completely irrelevant.

The most important thing to look at is color gamut, if you're going to spend serious cash on a monitor you want something that can display 96-98% of AdobeRGB.

Another thing you want to consider is the uniformity of the panel - i.e. how evenly lit it is. This is where expensive monitors really stand out. You'll also want to consider what type of calibration you need to perform, for serious color-critical work you'll want a monitor which allows hardware calibration through the display's look-up-tables. This is NOT a common feature and only professional-grade monitors designed for color-critical work will offer this.

I'd recommend looking into the following (for 24"):

Eizo ColorEdge CG243W
Eizo Flexscan SX2462W (essentially the same cabinet as the CG243W minus hardware calibration capabilites)
NEC PA241W (same panel as the Eizo with a different cabinet for a fraction of the cost)

After doing a lot of research and working with a sales rep at Eizo (along with personal experience with their products) I'm convinced their products are the best available. However the cost of the NEC unit being roughly half the price of the extremely similar Eizos makes it hard to justify their price. I'm just about to buy a new display myself and it will likely be the NEC.

For more info on this stuff go over to the luminous landscape forums, there's a LOT you can learn...

Konrad Janicki
thx a lot Sean you got me going in the right direction smile.gif
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(Konrad Janicki @ Nov 26 2011, 01:16 PM) *
thx a lot Sean you got me going in the right direction smile.gif

No problem Konrad! I forgot to mention that since you're in Poland the NEC stuff will probably be very similarly priced to the Eizo, here in the state's the NEC is much cheaper. If it's only a matter of 100-200 Euros I'd probably go with the Eizo, if nothing else it has a longer warranty.
Konrad Janicki
ok thx smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.