Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camaro ZL1 tackles the 'Ring in 7:41.27
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Von Z
The ZL1 burned through the ring in an astonishingly fast time, beating a lot of "exotic" supercars along the way. This thing's a beast; however, it makes me think that a $55k+ pricetag is likely coming.
Razor
I was surprised, but given that it probably has a lot of technology from the ZR1 and Z06, I'm actually not surprised.
Von Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 8 2011, 08:24 PM) *
I was surprised, but given that it probably has a lot of technology from the ZR1 and Z06, I'm actually not surprised.

Heh. I know what you mean... also, you gotta consider that the car was running on "Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 summer tires," which are great tires but not on the level of a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire... Amazing feat, either way. For comparison, the ZR1 did 6 seconds better with Sport Cup tires.

I still think the ZL1 will be the best bang for buck, car, though.

36. Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 7:40.00 161 '06- 279k
37. McLaren Mercedes SLR 7:40.00 161 '03 used 2005 199k
38. Porsche 911 GT3 7:40.00 161 '09- 112k
39. Porsche 911 Carrera S 7:40.00 161 '11- 110k
2012 Camaro ZL1 7:41.27
40. Porsche 911 GT3 7:42.00 161 '06- 106k
41. Radical SR3 7:42.00 161 '02 75k
42. Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce 7:42.00 161 '09- 425k
43. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 7:42.90 160 '05- 70k
44. Porsche 911 GT3 RS 7:43.00 160 '03- 150k
45. Pagani Zonda C12 S 7:44.00 160 '02- 325k
Razor
QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 8 2011, 11:30 PM) *
Heh. I know what you mean... also, you gotta consider that the car was running on "Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 summer tires," which are great tires but not on the level of a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire... Amazing feat, either way. For comparison, the ZR1 did 6 seconds better with Sport Cup tires.

36. Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 7:40.00 161 '06- 279k
37. McLaren Mercedes SLR 7:40.00 161 '03 used 2005 199k
38. Porsche 911 GT3 7:40.00 161 '09- 112k
39. Porsche 911 Carrera S 7:40.00 161 '11- 110k
2012 Camaro ZL1 7:41.27
40. Porsche 911 GT3 7:42.00 161 '06- 106k
41. Radical SR3 7:42.00 161 '02 75k
42. Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce 7:42.00 161 '09- 425k
43. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 7:42.90 160 '05- 70k
44. Porsche 911 GT3 RS 7:43.00 160 '03- 150k
45. Pagani Zonda C12 S 7:44.00 160 '02- 325k

Well, unless 20 seconds is worth $20k to you.
DB9
I think its pretty impressive. I wonder what the Boss 302 would get.
SwissWhiskey
^ Same. I'd guess a 7:50.

Though the cars with high torque in the low rpms tend to do better at the ring than high revving cars.
Von Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 8 2011, 08:35 PM) *
Well, unless 20 seconds is worth $20k to you.

OK, maybe I worded that wrong, but there's no denying it's a FACTORY beast considering the price point and what cars it outclasses.
Razor
QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 9 2011, 09:32 PM) *
it's a FACTORY beast

So was what I was suggesting. wink.gif
shandyman5
'Ring times are startign to mean less and less to me. Their is always something manufacturers do to tweak the car to help it drop time.

QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 8 2011, 11:30 PM) *

Until the 2013 GT500 comes out. It is a great time to be a muscle car guy.
Von Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 9 2011, 07:14 PM) *
So was what I was suggesting. wink.gif

What else is running the 'Ring at this time for that price? From the factory, that is.
Razor
QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 11 2011, 01:10 AM) *
What else is running the 'Ring at this time for that price? From the factory, that is.

$55-60k + $20-25k?

GT-R, baby.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 11 2011, 02:31 AM) *
$55-60k + $20-25k?

GT-R, baby.

Not in price range, and the answer to that VonZ is a Z06. Something I would much rather have, and also a much better car.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 11 2011, 11:33 AM) *
and also a much better car.

Well isn't that just a little subjective?
DB9
I would probably take a corvette over a camaro, unless you factored in practicality.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 11 2011, 11:41 AM) *
Well isn't that just a little subjective?

Would you rather have a 427ci N/A 3200lb plastic car, that can run with the best of them or a 4200lb supercharged 377ci fat turd that is associated with some of the finest mullets in the land.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 11 2011, 03:17 PM) *
Would you rather have a 427ci N/A 3200lb plastic car, that can run with the best of them or a 4200lb supercharged 377ci fat turd that is associated with some of the finest mullets in the land.

Would you rather have a 3.8L twin-turbo, ultra high-tech, well built and well designed piece of engineering art on par with an SR71 or a primitive, plastic turd with a all-brute, no-finesse oversized, fueloholic block that's a budget supercar in hobo's clothing with an interior on par with a project car Fiero?

The door swings both ways. These views are here to illustrate a point and not at all how I feel about the Corvette. I like Corvettes but I would much rather own a GT-R.

But mullets? MULLETS? In reference to a GT-R over a Corvette? WHAT?!
Von Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 11 2011, 12:26 PM) *
Would you rather have a 3.8L twin-turbo, ultra high-tech, well built and well designed piece of engineering art on par with an SR71 or a primitive, plastic turd with a all-brute, no-finesse oversized, fueloholic block that's a budget supercar in hobo's clothing with an interior on par with a project car Fiero?

The door swings both ways. These views are here to illustrate a point and not at all how I feel about the Corvette. I like Corvettes but I would much rather own a GT-R.

But mullets? MULLETS? In reference to a GT-R over a Corvette? WHAT?!

The mullet reference goes to the Camaro, bro. (Although I own one and don't have a mullet in any way, shape, or form.)

And the reason I can see anyone taking a ZL1 over a Z06, other than the newer technology included in the ZL1, is that they need a backseat. It's as simple as that.

QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 10 2011, 11:31 PM) *
$55-60k + $20-25k?

GT-R, baby.

That's a 40% increase in price. That's definitely not in the "price range."

It is a beast, though!
skr
QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 11 2011, 10:07 PM) *
The mullet reference goes to the Camaro, bro. (Although I own one and don't have a mullet in any way, shape, or form.)

And the reason I can see anyone taking a ZL1 over a Z06, other than the newer technology included in the ZL1, is that they need a backseat. It's as simple as that.

That's a 40% increase in price. That's definitely not in the "price range."

It is a beast, though!

Maybe not in the price range, but if we're talking best bang for the buck here.....
Von Z
QUOTE(skr @ Oct 12 2011, 12:41 PM) *
Maybe not in the price range, but if we're talking best bang for the buck here.....

You don't think a ZL1 with $25k in mods can outdo a GT-R? huh.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 12 2011, 03:45 PM) *

You said "Factory." And I think it would be a close fight.
skr
QUOTE(Von Z @ Oct 12 2011, 12:45 PM) *

Do you think 25k in mods will gain 15 seconds on the 'Ring on a ZL1 without voiding warranties and maintaning the practicality that you seek?
Razor
QUOTE(skr @ Oct 12 2011, 04:01 PM) *
Do you think 25k in mods will gain 15 seconds on the 'Ring on a ZL1 without voiding warranties and maintaning the practicality that you seek?

Also this. You'd have to strip the interior, give it scary tires, and do terrible, terrible things to the drivetrain and transmission.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 12 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Also this. You'd have to strip the interior, give it scary tires, and do terrible, terrible things to the drivetrain and transmission.

You wouldn't have to do a single thing to the trans, and very little to the rear. Much there is for you to learn about GM products young padawan.

QUOTE(skr @ Oct 12 2011, 04:01 PM) *

It would take a lot more than 25K to get a Camaro anywhere near a ZR-1. That is if one isn't capable of doign there own work and sends it to a shop.
victorsaver
Would you rather have a 3.8L twin-turbo, ultra high-tech piece well constructed and well designed art engineering on a par with a SR71 or a primitive shit plastic with an all- first, without finesse oversized block fueloholic is a supercar in the budget clothing Hobo with an interior along with a Fiero project car?

QUOTE(victorsaver @ Nov 14 2011, 02:04 PM) *
Would you rather have a 3.8L twin-turbo, ultra high-tech piece well constructed and well designed art engineering on a par with a SR71 or a primitive shit plastic with an all- first, without finesse oversized block fueloholic is a supercar in the budget clothing Hobo with an interior along with a Fiero project car?

For supporting a GTR, and calling a V8 an oversized block fueloholic as earned you a ban.... buh bye.

Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 14 2011, 02:18 PM) *
For supporting a GTR, and calling a V8 an oversized block fueloholic as earned you a ban.... buh bye.

lol he copied my post... how awkward. dun ban me 2. :-(
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 14 2011, 04:14 PM) *
lol he copied my post... how awkward. dun ban me 2. :-(

I would never. dry.gif
moe
I'd rather have that new Shelby GT500 Ford just announced.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 16 2011, 01:03 AM) *

Completely agree! That car is absolutely awesome!
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 16 2011, 01:03 AM) *

Entirely agreed. The Mustang line has always seemed of much higher quality than the Camaro line, at least in recent years.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 16 2011, 10:09 AM) *
Entirely agreed. The Mustang line has always seemed of much higher quality than the Camaro line, at least in recent years.

That's because it always has been! DS_Naughty2.gif
Blue Devil
Man... this looks like fun!!!!

let me leave you guys with something, I got this as an email from a well known GM employee

This just in...Oppenheiser lays it down!

Quote:
Camaro Nation:

As you know, the blogs lit up with the announcement of the new 650-horsepower Mustang GT500, and I wanted to give you my perspective on the latest challenge from Dearborn.

The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009. Since then, Camaro has been the best-selling sports car in America, indicating that consumers know which car offers the best performance, style and safety.

It is no coincidence that Mustang has introduced three 100-horsepower increases to keep pace with Camaro: First their V-6 was bumped to 305; then their V-8 went to 412, and now the GT500.

Even with the 100-hp increase, the 2013 GT500 will still not match the technology and sophistication of the 2012 Camaro ZL1.

The days of "no replacement for displacement" are over, and it's not enough to be fast in a straight line. With the Camaro ZL1, we set out to deliver integrated performance, and be equally good at acceleration, braking, grip, and turning. As you will soon see, that's why the Camaro ZL1 will set the performance benchmark for the segment.

Our approach was to make every Camaro ZL1 fully track-capable, from the factory. As we announced today, the ZL1 Coupe will start at $54,995 with standard Magnetic Ride Control, standard Performance Traction Management, and standard track-capable equipment such as a rear-differential cooler, brake cooling ducts, and an engine and transmission cooler.

None of our customers will have to buy extra options - or modify their ZL1 - for track-day usage. That is not the case for the current GT500, or their new car.

For Mustang fans, you're welcome. Clearly the Camaro has encouraged Ford to throw everything they can at us.

For Camaro fans, trust me, we are always listening to your feedback, and working hard to keep the Camaro in the lead.

Al O.

plus.. something you guys gotta consider... Ford Marketing guys are saying... 650hp... and the engineers at Ford saying... HOLY SHIT HOW ARE WE GONNA DO THAT??. I still want to see the car put some real world #s and not just a press release from the marketing guys.
moe
^ I'll wait for the reviews to come in before I say anything about the ZL1, but I think the 'Stang has consistently shown itself to be the better car. The Camaro has been nothing but underwhelming since it's launch. Also, did they just call the Camaro a sports car? LOL.
redls1bird
Why is the camaro on the 'ring to begin with? sounds like an oxymoron.
fiber optic
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Nov 18 2011, 06:16 PM) *
Why is the camaro on the 'ring to begin with? sounds like an oxymoron.

Be that as it may it is company to and faster than some pretty serious cars with much steeper price tags.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Blue Devil @ Nov 17 2011, 02:21 PM) *
Man... this looks like fun!!!!

let me leave you guys with something, I got this as an email from a well known GM employee

plus.. something you guys gotta consider... Ford Marketing guys are saying... 650hp... and the engineers at Ford saying... HOLY SHIT HOW ARE WE GONNA DO THAT??. I still want to see the car put some real world #s and not just a press release from the marketing guys.

No offense man, but that email shows how that "GM employee" really know nothing about this whole "competition" between GM and Ford. How exactly has Ford been playing catch up with Chevy? Even before the 2011 5.0 Mustang came out the 4.6 3-valve Mustang was beating the fifth gen Camaro in every category besides 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. The Mustang pre-5.0 beat both an LS3 Camaro and a Challenger R/T in numerous magazine comparison tests.

In terms of having to not modify the Camaro for track day usage over the Mustang is purely speculative bullshit. The new Mustang has 6-piston Brembo's up front and 4-pistons in the rear, so braking is covered. The car has a reworked front end to prevent heat soak, no modification needed there. The car has a track set up suspension and Recaro seats. No modification needed there as well, so I ask where are these modifications going to be needed. Sounds like your "GM Employee" needs to actually take both cars to the track before he opens his mouth.

The Camaro has been in the lead in one thing.... sales, that is it. I also feel that is only because people are buying it because it is the new "cool, retro car to have". Not only that but the Camaro was revived after being cancelled for being an utter piece of shit that was getting outsold by the Mustang four to one.

Show me one article that shows that Ford Engineers are saying "Holy shit guys, how are we going to do that?" because last time I checked the motor is made and done. It is a 5.4l stroked to 5.8l fully forged, and uses the new TVS blower found on both the ZR-1, CTS-V, and ZL-1. In terms of the "employee" saying that it isn't a displacement war anymore, is rather ironic. All those years LS1 guys were saying oh Ford can't make a fast Mustang without a blower, and now not only is the top of the line Camaro using a blower but it also makes less power then the smaller displacement Ford 5.8l. Amazing how times have changed.....

Do us all a favor please, know the facts before you post, because your making assumptions off pure speculation and a lack of facts, as well as forwarding an email from an equally uninformed GM employee. Also, have you ever driven the new 5.0 or even aluminum 550 hp GT500?
moe
Will you guys get into a fist fight over this, Aussie style? That'd be great.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 20 2011, 01:52 AM) *
Will you guys get into a fist fight over this, Aussie style? That'd be great.

<CLARKSON> FISTS AS BIG AS PRAWNS </CLARKSON>
Razor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.