Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche is on fire
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
SwissWhiskey
Poping out great cars by the minute. 918, 918 RSR, GT3 RS, 991 911...

... and now the new boxter. I was like mehh when I saw the back but liking it more by the minute.

Now please fix the Panamera, thanks.
Razor
The back of that thing makes me want to do it doggy. FUCK, man. FUCK.
dukenukem
This further solidifies my point that the Boxter is much better looking than the Coxter.
shandyman5
Nice....

Duke, what do you mean? The Cayman?
dukenukem
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 5 2011, 02:51 PM) *
Nice....

Duke, what do you mean? The Cayman?

Yes
shandyman5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 5 2011, 06:05 PM) *
Yes

Duke, I am not sure what you do but eventually, you have to get yourself a ride from Stuttgart. thumbs_up.gif
dukenukem
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 5 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Duke, I am not sure what you do but eventually, you have to get yourself a ride from Stuttgart. thumbs_up.gif

This is me.

BORKED

I promised myself I need a Porsche when I was 11.
moe
Everytime I walk into an interview, they always ask me, "What's your favorite ad?" This is the one I always talk about. I think it's the most powerful piece of advertising I've ever seen, and that's because I can relate to it on such a personal level.

There is no car I want more than the 911.
Bjorn
I think I like the new Boxster (988?). Gonna need to see it in person though before I make a final call.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 6 2011, 07:39 AM) *
I think I like the new Boxster (988?). Gonna need to see it in person though before I make a final call.

That was how I felt about the new 991. Then I saw it in person....heart.gif. thumbs_up.gif DS_Naughty2.gif
clarkma5
Let's not forget this is probably gonna be the first 4-cylinder Boxster. I'm hoping for a turbo 4 base engine and a 6 cylinder for the S, though I'm wondering if they're going to since the Carrera's a 3.4 now...would they really put the same engine as the Carrera into the Boxster S? Sounds as likely as them making a smaller displacement version for the S...no clue what's going to happen.

If it goes all 4 cylinders for the new Boxster I will admittedly be quite saddened...
Bjorn
^I wonder if the V6 from the Panamera and Cayenne would fit in the new Boxster. That could be a way to differentiate the S from the 911.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 6 2011, 04:27 PM) *
^I wonder if the V6 from the Panamera and Cayenne would fit in the new Boxster. That could be a way to differentiate the S from the 911.

Not like the V6 is a particularly inspiring engine...also, Boxster = Boxer + Roadster. Would be silly to take the boxer out of the boxster!
Ephdethulias
Agreed. The boxer engine is Boxster's identity. Same goes to it's rear mounted 911 sibling.
shandyman5
Porsche will NEVER put a V-type engine in the Boxster, Cayman, or 911.
Bjorn
Just like they will never make an SUV or 4 door car or give the flat six water-cooling . . . Oh, shit.

People who say "Porsche will never ______________________ " tend to be made to look silly.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 7 2011, 11:45 AM) *
Just like they will never make an SUV or 4 door car or give the flat six water-cooling . . . Oh, shit.

People who say "Porsche will never ______________________ " tend to be made to look silly.

True.

Maybe Porsche can put the Subaru EZ36 into the Boxster. After all, the rumor is the engine was co developed by Porsche and Subaru anyways.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 7 2011, 12:45 PM) *

If you have ever seen a 911, Boxter, or Cayman with the engine's out of them you would know what I'm saying..... I wasn't saying it to be a douche, and I would be willing to put money on it as well.
Bjorn
I wasn't accusing you of being a douche, but it is possible to put a V8 in a 911. Google "Small block Chevy" and "911."

Porsche is reaching the limit of what it can do with the flat 6 and still meet emissions, and while I have faith that the company will continue to impress us with insane specific power numbers they might have to go to a more versatile engine some day.

Lots of people have been speculating for years that the 911 is due for a V8. I wouldn't be happy about it, as I love horizontally opposed engines, but in the last 10 years porsche has: almost bought VW, been bought by VW, released an SUV, raced a prototype at Le Mans, released a four-door sedan, developed a baby-SUV, sold a V10 supercar, released a 911 with 600+ horsepower, developed a hybrid super car, released a diesel . . .

At this point nothing would surprise me. Porsche is a company with lots of history, but they don't seem to be letting that hold them back anymore. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, you can decide for yourself.

Furthermore, if you think about the direction Porsche is heading, flat six engines are the exception, not the rule. The majority of Porsches sold in 2010 had Vx engines (in 2010 only about 30,000 of the 81,000 Porsches sold were 911s and Boxster/Caymans).
shandyman5
^ Alrighty, Bjorn so here is the deal, you presented an awesome counter but here are some things to think about.

First, I have indeed seen the LS1 in a 911. But here is something to think about, pushrod V-type engines are the smallest designed engines made in terms of V8's. Let's face it, Porsche is not about to put a pushrod engine of any type into their cars. SOHC or DOHC engines are much larger in size and would never fit into a 911.

Here is a perfect example. Here is a larger 302 cubic inch Ford pushrod engine next to a more modern DOHC smaller 281 cubic inch engine. Pretty drastic size difference, eh? (no Canada pun intended)

The reason the 911/Cayman/Boxster only accounted for 30,000 sales is because of the practicality of the Cayenne and Panamera. Those two vehicles are for the people who always wanted a Porsche but couldn't because they needed the space of an SUV or Sedan. With the release of them, it gave people the opportunity to finally own a Porsche without having to get a 911/Cayman/Boxster and a DD.

The reason the 911 will never see a V-type engine is purely for it's history. If you think about it Porsche has stepped out of it's comfort zone or "expected" zone with exactly the things you mentioned above.... (V10 Supercar, SUV, Sedan, etc.) But the one thing that has always stayed conservative is the 911. The redesigns are the all similar and if you lined up a '72 911 with a '13 911 you could tell they were the same car even if your someone who isn't a car guy.

I do think the Boxster/Cayman base models will see turbo four cylinders, perhaps H4's but it wouldn't surprise me if you saw an I4 in one. The 911 will never see a four cylinder or a V-type engine in their car however. I believe the next technology you will see is a 5V or smaller engines with turbo's. N/A storker's (which is what the GT3 RS 4.0 is) will stick around as well. Obviously these are just my opinions but some of the above does hold some slight weight.

For what it's worth I do think this has turned into a great topic and I look forward to yours or anyone's responses. thumbs_up.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 7 2011, 06:39 PM) *
SOHC or DOHC engines are much larger in size and would never fit into a 911.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/03/geneva-...v8-porsche-911/
victorsaver
In 2005, the 911 was heavily revised and replacement of 996, the 997 was released. The 997 keeps the basic profile of the 996, so that the drag coefficient down to 0.28, but based on the 993 for details. In addition, new headlights back to the original visual design errors, drift of the tear system 996. The interior is also in the revised version, with strong links in 911, whereas previously, while a fresh and modern. The 997 shares less than one third of the output parts 996, but is still technically very similar to it.

QUOTE(victorsaver @ Nov 14 2011, 02:13 PM) *
In 2005, the 911 was heavily revised and replacement of 996, the 997 was released. The 997 keeps the basic profile of the 996, so that the drag coefficient down to 0.28, but based on the 993 for details. In addition, new headlights back to the original visual design errors, drift of the tear system 996. The interior is also in the revised version, with strong links in 911, whereas previously, while a fresh and modern. The 997 shares less than one third of the output parts 996, but is still technically very similar to it.

Because you actually had a relevant post I won't ban you. SPAM the forum again and you're out of here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.