Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E36 M3 vs S2000
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Diesel
So... both are about the same in used car pricing.. so.. which would you rather take?

Bjorn
Hard choice, but I think the S2000 would make me happier for longer.

Never driven an M Car, but I imagine an E36 M3 would kinda feel like a regular E36 till you opened up. Where I imagine the S2000 would feel a bit more special more of the time.
fiber optic
I went to high school with a bunch of spoiled rich kids and there were a couple brand new E36 M3s in the parking lot. I was particularly fond of the Dakar Yellow. So that's where my vote is.
OHirtenfelder
If I wasn't in South Africa where anything BMW is a HUGE hijack and theft target, and anything with an M badge even more so, and the fact that the E30s and the E36s (especially the Ms) are favoured by a lot of the local gangsters, I would most definitely choose the BMW.
But considering that the above mentioned criminals don't care too much for a Honda S2000, I would take that. That aside, it is undeniably a fantastic drivers car!
dukenukem
the S2000 would tend to be a lot more reliable. I would pick up the VTAK just for the screaming red line.
clarkma5
S2000 please. Now if it was S2000 vs. E46 M3 that would be a harder choice, except good Honda S2000s are cheaper than good E46 M3s tongue.gif
clarkma5
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...ar_id=305536206

Perfect. My dream car circa 2005-6 to the smallest details.
shandyman5
E36 for sure.... actually the one in the picture you posted is gorgeous.... To bad they never actually made them like that.

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 1 2011, 08:37 PM) *
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...ar_id=305536206

Perfect. My dream car circa 2005-6 to the smallest details.

Nice choice Clark, my only difference would be full Leather seats, and Interalagos Blue.
clarkma5
I too would take the Interlagos Blue, but the white with anthracite is a close second. Love the cloth-centered seats though.
Aircooled
Torque
shandyman5
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Oct 4 2011, 12:41 AM) *
Torque

Something that doesn't exist in an N/A S2K.
Mr b00st
E36 M3 sedan, 3.2L S52B32, 5-speed.

4 doors for more whores!

Also, M3's do feel different from regular E36's. I DD an E36 328i, and have driven an M3 sedan- EVERYTHING is heavier. Steering, clutch, even the gas pedal. Weirdly enough. They have sharper steering response (probably due to the offset front LCA bushings and alignment settings) and they're noticeably faster. Not as big a difference as E46 330Ci to E46 M3 though, but noticeable.

Real reason I pick the M3: I don't fit in S2000's. I'm 6'2", and the non-adjustable steering column (really, Honda?) leaves the steering wheel sitting in my lap, have no knee room or elbow room, or head room with the top up.

Having driven both (E36 3.2L coupe & sedan, AP1 and AP2 S2k's) I think the M3's more fun to drive, but it's personal preference. But being able to fit in it, put more people and stuff in it, and being familiar with the greasy bits does it for me. Not that I don't like S2k's, they're fun, but frustrating as a DD due to the lack of torque (MUCH better on AP2's) and not having any space.
Bjorn
^I drove RX-7s for four years, torque was a foreign concept to me.
dukenukem
If you are not daily driving the car, the lack of torque is hardly an issue.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 5 2011, 12:52 AM) *
^I drove RX-7s for four years, torque was a foreign concept to me.

LOL, I bet.... the RX-8 isn't much better.
moe
I'm currently driving myself around in my buddy's Z4M. He's got friends visiting, and needs the extra space/practicality of my car. There's no substitute for driving a proper sports car, and that's why I'm voting for the S2k.
Dr. Strangelove
Back from a long DS hiatus to vote for the S2000. Best drivers car for the money around for me.

I'm a bit biased though.

*Edit*
And I just found out that was post number 2,500 for me? Really I stopped posting at 2,499? Who does that?
shandyman5
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Nov 3 2011, 09:11 PM) *
Back from a long DS hiatus to vote for the S2000. Best drivers car for the money around for me.

I'm a bit biased though.

*Edit*
And I just found out that was post number 2,500 for me? Really I stopped posting at 2,499? Who does that?

You sticking around a little more Dr.?
nismo
In my completely biased opinion, S2000, please. I'm 6'0'' and 155, so I fit pretty nicely, I think. You can always get the aftermarket low seat rails, drops it two or three inches, I can't remember. Daily driving that car for more than a year and a half, and owning it for three, it taught me a lot about driving a proper sports car. Plus, that motor with pretty much any decent exhaust sounds amazing. Low maintenance, too. Only thing on that entire car that I ever had to replace were tires and fluids. Just make sure you check for Authentic Honda vin stickers on all the panels of the body (Not hard to miss), and the rear corners of the soft top for wear. Look from the inside on a sunny day with the top up, You'll know if it has the rough edges on the soft top frame. The trunk, when packed properly, isn't really all that bad. I got around 23/24mpg on average, dipped down to about 20/21 with harder driving.
moe
My best friend sold his S2k when he moved from the States to Dubai. He replaced it with a Z4M, and while he like the M, he really, really wants the Honda back. We saw a really clean one at a meet we went to, and he was all over the owner trying to get him to sell it. I'm trying to convince him to stick with the M.
The Unibomber
S2K is more fun, you can put the top down, and rev the nuts off it and it will still be reliable.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 20 2011, 03:34 AM) *
My best friend sold his S2k when he moved from the States to Dubai. He replaced it with a Z4M, and while he like the M, he really, really wants the Honda back. We saw a really clean one at a meet we went to, and he was all over the owner trying to get him to sell it. I'm trying to convince him to stick with the M.

If it is an M coupe they do nothing for me.
moe
^ It's a roadster, and I'm not sure we can be virtual friends anymore. The M Coupe (in both Z3 and Z4 forms) is one of my absolute favorite cars ever.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 21 2011, 01:08 AM) *
^ It's a roadster, and I'm not sure we can be virtual friends anymore. The M Coupe (in both Z3 and Z4 forms) is one of my absolute favorite cars ever.

Seriously. This is one of the sexiest and simultaneously most beautiful cars ever designed.

shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 21 2011, 01:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 21 2011, 02:20 AM) *
Seriously. This is one of the sexiest and simultaneously most beautiful cars ever designed.

I LOVEEEEE the roadster. The coupe unfortunately does nothing for me, I just cannot warm up to it. They are phenomenal cars to drive however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.