Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seafoam?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
911xx
Hi saw on some topics people 'seafoaming' their cars for some reason. Please, explain me how that works, what it is, and how it could help my gf's Acura RSX's engine?

Thank.
fiber optic
Seafoam is a solvent. It breaks up carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber.
Altostratus
Seafoam is a pure petroleum product that you can either buy in an aerosol spray or in liquid form.

You can spray half a can it into your throttle body with the straw guide supplied(or sucked into a vac. line that is connected to the intake manifold for the liquid) and the other half into the fuel tank to clean injectors and the fuel lines and it cleans out carbon deposits and other crap like that.
It should be done before you get the oil changed, as it will turn even brand new oil to black sludge with the viscosity of water.

if the RSX is high mileage it will probably see some good out of it.....will also create one hell of a white smoke show to piss off the neighbors. canadian.gif firedevil.gif

quick edit: piss! frank beat me to it.
the after results on my buds 296km 94 regal
shandyman5
Don't do it, I really don't feel like going into a whole write up about it but it can be quite damaging.
Razor
I knew the RSX was a chick's car.
dukenukem
Some people say after you seafoam the engine, you are better off replacing the sparkplugs since they tend to get fouled as well. Not sure how true that is but that's what I was told.
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 8 2011, 12:46 AM) *
Some people say after you seafoam the engine, you are better off replacing the sparkplugs since they tend to get fouled as well. Not sure how true that is but that's what I was told.

I've seafoamed the same set of plugs twice and they looked fine when I pulled them. However, I never got the huge smoke show as seen in so many videos. It might be a good idea to check them afterwards and have a spare set ready.
DB9
What are the cons to seafoaming a car? My uncle is trying to convince me to do it before my next oil change.
Altostratus
as a rule of thumb you don't want to spray it into your MAF sensor as it will cause it to shit the bed, and you don't want to hydro-lock the engine by starving the engine. i've heard of plugs fouling as well, but i've never seen it.

but like i said, unless the RSX is over say, 175,000km, with no regular maintenance running on shitty Canadian regular for its entire life, it probably doesn't need it.
Altostratus
QUOTE(DB9 @ Sep 8 2011, 05:44 AM) *
What are the cons to seafoaming a car? My uncle is trying to convince me to do it before my next oil change.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.