Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New daily driver
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Matt_L
Sold the protege, now with a '99 Civic SE. It has Yanaka coilovers, unknow wheels and cheap tires. No plans for now, will buy some stuff this winter to track this bitch next summer!

shandyman5
Car looks clean... how many mil..... errr kilometers?
Matt_L
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 6 2011, 10:31 PM) *
Car looks clean... how many mil..... errr kilometers?

hehe 160 000...KM which is about 100 000 miles

Car is very clean for the year!
shandyman5
Congrats man nice find. Get all the maintenance done on her, get a set of stickies and go have some fun! thumbs_up.gif

Also, dont make it have a "herrafrushtardithinkimabadasswhenimreallyanidiot" stance. Raspberry.gif
911xx
Civic yayyy! lol, beau ptit DD/beater!
Matt_L
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 7 2011, 09:46 AM) *
Congrats man nice find. Get all the maintenance done on her, get a set of stickies and go have some fun! thumbs_up.gif

Also, dont make it have a "herrafrushtardithinkimabadasswhenimreallyanidiot" stance. Raspberry.gif

I'm a kind of fonction > form guy, so you won't see a retarded suspension height smile.gif

I plan to buy those parts over the winter, everything in black color if possible :

-Sparco Sprint seat
-Harness and harness bar (sparco or custom made by a shop)
-OMP racing pedals
-OMP Corsica Superleggero
-Traqmate Shift-I shift light (there is no tach on the car)
-Stiffer rear sway bar/subframe brace plate (so the subframe don't tear)
-Enkei RPF1 15" (if the budget is good)
-Falken RT615R
-HAWK HP Plus pads/Brembo plain rotor/SS brake lines

That's pretty much it, don't want to ruin myself but don't wan't to buy cheap part that won't last or put my life in danger.
Razor
QUOTE(Matt_L @ Sep 7 2011, 06:00 PM) *
I'm a kind of fonction > form guy, so you won't see a retarded suspension height smile.gif

You win. Everything.
dukenukem
Clean looking civic.

By tracking you mean road racing or autocross ?
Matt_L
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 8 2011, 01:35 AM) *
Clean looking civic.

By tracking you mean road racing or autocross ?

Lapping/solo/time attack then the following year I'd defenately would like to go road racing, turning the car in a full blown race car and getting a new daily driver (hopefully an E36 or E46 M3 )
Altostratus
ummm.....no offence, but is the car's frame structurally sound enough to track it? I remember Mtl having horribly salty winters when i lived there.
Matt_L
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Sep 8 2011, 10:07 AM) *
ummm.....no offence, but is the car's frame structurally sound enough to track it? I remember Mtl having horribly salty winters when i lived there.

Yes it is, the frame is really clean and straight, if you take care of the car (i.e. rustproofing every year/2 years) the car will survive Montreal's winter, which is the case of this car.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Matt_L @ Sep 8 2011, 07:24 AM) *
Lapping/solo/time attack then the following year I'd defenately would like to go road racing, turning the car in a full blown race car and getting a new daily driver (hopefully an E36 or E46 M3 )

So you are going to track a FWD econobox and daily drive a track capable RWD car?
Matt_L
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 8 2011, 12:12 PM) *
So you are going to track a FWD econobox and daily drive a track capable RWD car?

Yes that sounds quite retarded, but I want to familiarize with the local tracks and the whole driving-on-a-track experience with a car that won't hurt my pocket with parts and repair IF I ever crash. A good friend of mine has been road racing for quite a few years and the best advice he gave me was to start with the most basic/cheap car to learn and then when I feel I'm at the peak of my learning curve, upgrade to a proper car (RWD). It's stupid to go and buy something that you can't handle due to lack of experience. I will autocross the M3, but it's still cheaper to road race a civic....
skr
QUOTE(Matt_L @ Sep 7 2011, 03:00 PM) *

I plan to buy those parts over the winter, everything in black color if possible :

-Sparco Sprint seat
-Harness and harness bar (sparco or custom made by a shop)
-OMP racing pedals
-OMP Corsica Superleggero
-Traqmate Shift-I shift light (there is no tach on the car)
-Stiffer rear sway bar/subframe brace plate (so the subframe don't tear)
-Enkei RPF1 15" (if the budget is good)
-Falken RT615R
-HAWK HP Plus pads/Brembo plain rotor/SS brake lines

That's pretty much it, don't want to ruin myself but don't wan't to buy cheap part that won't last or put my life in danger.

Don't forget a steering wheel hub and a front/rear camber adjustment kit. BuddyClub and SPC makes good components that are affordable. I have BuddyClub front camber kit, and SPC rear camber kit. Also, for about the same price of that shiftlight, you can probably get a gauge cluster that has a tachometer on it.

Since you're pretty good with car control already, I think you will outgrow that engine relatively quickly.

Are you going to install a front swaybar?
Bjorn
Matt, have you hear of http://www.jdmplace.com?

It's in Toronto, and specializes in importing JDM parts for Hondas and Subarus.

Altostratus
if im not mistaken, he owns a RHD fc RX7...so im sure he has a source for jdm parts.
when i lived in montreal (2005) it seemed like every second car was imported. i can remember atleast 3 skylines in my neighborhood and a rhd mini with a mildly built d16 vtec swap (was batshit crazy fast)
Matt_L
QUOTE(skr @ Sep 8 2011, 07:17 PM) *
Don't forget a steering wheel hub and a front/rear camber adjustment kit. BuddyClub and SPC makes good components that are affordable. I have BuddyClub front camber kit, and SPC rear camber kit. Also, for about the same price of that shiftlight, you can probably get a gauge cluster that has a tachometer on it.

Since you're pretty good with car control already, I think you will outgrow that engine relatively quickly.

Are you going to install a front swaybar?

Yeah hub/quick release is on my list, as for the camber plates, I'll wait a bit so I can really see the difference between with and without.

From what I read a front sway bar is not really necessary on a FWD car. The chassis must have a bit of flex in the front since it's a FWD, too much stiffness would give less friction on the inner tire since it would wan't to hop. I still have to do more research on this subject.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Sep 9 2011, 08:30 AM) *
Matt, have you hear of <a href="http://www.jdmplace.com" target="_blank">http://www.jdmplace.com?</a>

It's in Toronto, and specializes in importing JDM parts for Hondas and Subarus.

Hey thanks didn't know this place, seems like a great shop!

QUOTE(Altostratus @ Sep 9 2011, 09:32 AM) *
if im not mistaken, he owns a RHD fc RX7...so im sure he has a source for jdm parts.
when i lived in montreal (2005) it seemed like every second car was imported. i can remember atleast 3 skylines in my neighborhood and a rhd mini with a mildly built d16 vtec swap (was batshit crazy fast)

The RX-7 is long sold... sad.gif Needed a more practical/all year round car.

This mini? The owner sold it last summer tough sad.gif *edit : nevermind I just read it was a rhd mini...

Altostratus
i think it was rhd, i did alot of drugs those days
Matt_L
Did a bit of work on the car before winter :

-Replace brake pad
-Change hood release cable (that one was a bitch to do!)
-Remove the Thule rack
-Raised the suspension to a much better height (as shown in the first pictures)
-Change spark plugs (made a HUGE difference, last owner didn't took care of such an important maintenance)
-Clean the headlights

before - during (right is done left not) - after

before & after

the product

old spark plug....

...it should be 0.039-0.043 inches!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.