Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volkswagen up!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
moe
I feel like I've been hearing about the UP forever. Well it's finally here, and it's a funky-looking thing.

bankE46
I dig it.
clarkma5
Should be a big improvement over the Fox.
moe
The Fox was honestly a joke. Apparently, VW in its march upmarket, neglected to design a replacement for the Lupo. Then when it got long-in-the-tooth, didn't know what to do. They decided to start selling the Fox in various markets, and it was never really designed for any place other than Brazil. The UP! should be a lot better since it was designed with global markets in mind.
shandyman5
Looks like a Golf that is in that awkward teen growth spurt.
pervert
Looks pretty dull to me. A lot of other small cars would be higher on my shopping list than this.
dukenukem
It would appear that the car has got downs syndrome.
OHirtenfelder
I don't know why all the negative criticism about the looks....personally I like it. It's edgy, it's modern, it's compact. In those black studio shots, it looks fantastic.

It is a real pity that the original idea for a rear engined car was dropped in favour of the traditional front engined arrangement... huh.gif Would have been cool.
Anks
This Volkswagen car is pretty awesome.
moe
OMG, there's already a GT version...it's a concept, but rumor is it's ready to go pretty much. 98hp and 900kg, they say it's in the spirit of the original GTI, and I think it should make for a very entertaining alternative to the Panda 100hp and Twingo RS.

SwissWhiskey
Boring, until I saw the GT version which looks funky.
travishu
Look like small and but great handling, great value,great styling,very comfortable
Anks
Yeah these cars are looking awesome and stylish. I love small package cars.
Mr b00st
they need to make a version with stain-resistant seat materials

they can call it the FuckUp!
speedyK
QUOTE(moe @ Sep 15 2011, 11:51 AM) *
OMG, there's already a GT version...it's a concept, but rumor is it's ready to go pretty much. 98hp and 900kg, they say it's in the spirit of the original GTI, and I think it should make for a very entertaining alternative to the Panda 100hp and Twingo RS.

But no doubt VW will strangle it with no off switch for the ESP/ESC so that you can't really have fun.
shandyman5
QUOTE(speedyK @ Oct 2 2011, 11:45 AM) *
But no doubt VW will strangle it with no off switch for the ESP/ESC so that you can't really have fun.

speedy, for once I agree with you. Raspberry.gif thumbs_up.gif
Razor
QUOTE(speedyK @ Oct 2 2011, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 3 2011, 09:05 AM) *
speedy, for once I agree with you. Raspberry.gif thumbs_up.gif

Where's your background proof in that? I spend all winter driving around with it disabled in my car, because there IS a switch for it.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 3 2011, 10:00 AM) *
Where's your background proof in that? I spend all winter driving around with it disabled in my car, because there IS a switch for it.

rolleyes.gif Come on VW boy, were referencing the qualms that plague the GTI (lack of ability to disable it). We are betting this will have the same problem. R32 must be different.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 3 2011, 10:06 AM) *
rolleyes.gif Come on VW boy, were referencing the qualms that plague the GTI (lack of ability to disable it). We are betting this will have the same problem. R32 must be different.

...the GTI doesn't have that issue either. There is an ESP switch in the Mk V GTI, same place as the R32's. Have you ever actually been in any of these cars?

EDIT: AND the Rabbit (base Golf for the Mk V m.y. range in the U.S.) has it too! My goodness.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 3 2011, 10:09 AM) *
...the GTI doesn't have that issue either. There is an ESP switch in the Mk V GTI, same place as the R32's. Have you ever actually been in any of these cars?

Why don't you Google the problems the MKVI GTI has with the artificial disabling of the ESP button. It is never fully disabled, hell look in the latest issue of C&D where they test the best track cars for under 40K and they bitch about how the GTI's ESP kicks in because it can't be fully disabled. The button may be there, but just cause it is there doesn't mean it fully works.

I have never driven an MKV GTI or R32. I have driven an MKVI GTI, and MKIV GTI, as well as an MKIV R32..... Next.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 3 2011, 10:13 AM) *
Why don't you Google the problems the MKVI GTI has with the artificial disabling of the ESP button. It is never fully disabled, hell look in the latest issue of C&D where they test the best track cars for under 40K and they bitch about how the GTI's ESP kicks in because it can't be fully disabled. The button may be there, but just cause it is there doesn't mean it fully works.

I have never driven an MKV GTI or R32. I have driven an MKVI GTI, and MKIV GTI, as well as an MKIV R32..... Next.

Interesting. I can report that disabling ESP in my car takes full effect and the electronics never get a chance to kick in. You can hear when they do while ESP is enabled. When it's off, the car doesn't try to correct anything, and there is no buzzing sound. Same goes for the Mk V GTI. I guess VW's softened up some more. A real shame, but not really, because as I've been saying for years, this is my first and last one.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 3 2011, 10:16 AM) *
Interesting. I can report that disabling ESP in my car takes full effect and the electronics never get a chance to kick in. You can hear when they do while ESP is enabled. When it's off, the car doesn't try to correct anything, and there is no buzzing sound. Same goes for the Mk V GTI. I guess VW's softened up some more. A real shame, but not really, because as I've been saying for years, this is my first and last one.

Maybe we can make progress or break you down into letting your next car... (gasp), having three pedals.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 3 2011, 12:07 PM) *
Maybe we can make progress or break you down into letting your next car... (gasp), having three pedals.

That's reserved for a real car like a Caterham, not something that would be a waste to have that in. So the answer is absolutely not, unless my next car is a Caterham or similar. I do plan on owning one someday, though.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 3 2011, 05:21 PM) *
That's reserved for a real car like a Caterham, not something that would be a waste to have that in. So the answer is absolutely not, unless my next car is a Caterham or similar. I do plan on owning one someday, though.

Do define "real car".
jasmeet
Nice picks I really like it thanks for sharing with us smile.gif

spam.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.