Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 Genesis Coupe
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
nismo

http://carbuzz.com/news/2011/8/29/Leaked-2...celift-7704562/

Headlights/Grille seem to match.. http://bitcast-a.v1.dfw1.bitgravity.com/ni...0/200/90228.jpg

This is a sad day.
Razor
Will reserve judgement until I see it in real, full photos... but uh-oh.
nismo
Two quick jobs in PS..

skr

+

+

=

Asher
The car was never much of a looker, I actually think this is an improvement.
shandyman5
^ WTF! The looks were the best thing about it. This is atrocious.
Synesthesia
I'd say the looks the first time around were pretty damn meh. The back looks nice and simple, the front is pretty nasty. Maybe this will be more interesting, we shall see.
Asher
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Aug 30 2011, 10:55 PM) *
I'd say the looks the first time around were pretty damn meh. The back looks nice and simple, the front is pretty nasty. Maybe this will be more interesting, we shall see.

Thats how I felt. The front was pretty bad but it got a pass on looks since the world needs more cheap RWD coupes.
911xx
I like it a lot.
Bjorn
I think Hyundai's current styling is going to age rather poorly.

The previous generation Sonata was timeless, the new one is good looking, but fleeting.
shandyman5
^ I agree about some of their cars, but while the previous generation Sonata was bland, dull, and hum drum, the new one is elegant, beautiful and will still look good in six years.
Bjorn
That's the thing . . . the new Sonata is too styled. It will age very fast. Look at Hyundai's design language from the early 2000's, same thing: Swoopy lines and curves. Those cars look sooooo dated today, especially compared to a contemporary Honda, Nissan or BMW (more conservative designs).

Same thing will happen to these cars.
OHirtenfelder
I am a HUGE fan of the firts generartion Genesis, but I do think this could look quite good. I say we need to wait until we see proper high res non shitty quality pics of the thing in proper light, etc. and then make our judgement calls. But as it stands, im on the fence.
DB9
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 31 2011, 08:42 AM) *
That's the thing . . . the new Sonata is too styled. It will age very fast. Look at Hyundai's design language from the early 2000's, same thing: Swoopy lines and curves. Those cars look sooooo dated today, especially compared to a contemporary Honda, Nissan or BMW (more conservative designs).

Same thing will happen to these cars.

Those cars looked bad right from the start, however. There isn't even one that really sticks out to me besides the first gen Tiburon.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 31 2011, 08:52 AM) *
I think Hyundai's current styling is going to age rather poorly.

The previous generation Sonata was timeless, the new one is good looking, but fleeting.

The previous generation was identity-less too. Honestly, it was the definition of generic sedan. The new one is gorgeous, and the new Elantra even more so. Actually, here's a shocker, the Accent, Elantra, Sonata, Azera, and Genesises are all beautiful cars now. Never thought I'd see the day.

This Genesis facelift however...not really feeling it. I'll wait till I see the press photos though.

Either way, I think Hyundai and Kia have gone from bland/uninspiring to style-leaders in one, swift model-generation change. I was just staring at pictures of the new Rio supermini, and it's awesome looking. If they did a GTI-like model of that, I'd drop the Pug in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm considering replacing it with the Veloster (they've launched in Saudi, and they're everywhere). I just need to find out if they've gone on sale in the UAE, and whether the driving experience compares to the RC's.
Razor

This could be my next car. Seriously. I love it.
911xx
Nice Aston Martin Vantage.
DB9
I think this is amazing.
Bjorn
Looks inspired by the GT-R . . . and not in a good way.
caster
QUOTE(DB9 @ Sep 17 2011, 11:55 AM) *
I think this is amazing.

Razor
QUOTE(DB9 @ Sep 17 2011, 02:55 PM) *
I think this is amazing.

911xx
Seriously, put the Sonata's turbo engine, make the car smaller, and I'll have no idea what to choose between the FR-S, the BRZ, the GenCoupe or a CPO Cayman next summer...
moe
Yeah it looks pretty awesome. Still a bit too large for my taste. Maybe they should do a SWB, 2-seater model?
clarkma5
QUOTE(moe @ Sep 18 2011, 02:27 AM) *
Yeah it looks pretty awesome. Still a bit too large for my taste. Maybe they should do a SWB, 2-seater model?

2 seaters just don't sell though, as much as car guys fantasize about them. At least, it's a very limited market that's a bad place to put your R&D dollars in a bad economy.

Very much looking forward to the facelifted Genesis Coupe, especially if they make the turbo model worth a damn. For now I would happily pick up a 3.8 R-Spec but a new-gen 2.0T R-spec would be sweet!
Mr b00st
looks like the Genesis 3.8 might be getting a supercharger option, since apparently the Tau V8 doesn't fit in the engine bay.

no word on power but this was a factory mule. Considering stillen is getting 500+bhp out of their VQ37... I'd guess something similar-ish.

Still, 5.0 Tau 32v DI V8 would make this car so much winning.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Sep 27 2011, 06:59 PM) *
looks like the Genesis 3.8 might be getting a supercharger option, since apparently the Tau V8 doesn't fit in the engine bay.

no word on power but this was a factory mule. Considering stillen is getting 500+bhp out of their VQ37... I'd guess something similar-ish.

Still, 5.0 Tau 32v DI V8 would make this car so much winning.

As long as it doesn't have heat soak issues.... This has the ability to be awesome....
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 27 2011, 07:14 PM) *
As long as it doesn't have heat soak issues.... This has the ability to be awesome....

"Next car"-ness is now becoming even more likely.
shandyman5
I have to be honest, I love Hyundai, but they have some flaws that really piss me the fuck off, which is why I will never own another one.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 27 2011, 11:07 PM) *
I have to be honest, I love Hyundai, but they have some flaws that really piss me the fuck off, which is why I will never own another one.

Do tell.
dukenukem
Something to do with eating dogs.
shandyman5

Looks like the official images of the face lift were released last night...

Definitely will have to wait until I see it in person but I definitely like what I consider the elegant generation one model better.

Nice power bumps for the new motors in the face lifted ones, those will bring some improved lap times.... 8 speed automatic also released for people who prefer auto.

EDIT: For Christ's sake can someone edit my post so the pictures actually come up. I clearly don't know WTF I am doing wrong.
clarkma5
Yeah ~350 HP DI 3.8 V6 and a ~275 HP 2.0T with a 6-speed manual/8-speed auto combo. Sounds really dynamite, especially if they keep the prices decently in check!
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 15 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Yeah ~350 HP DI 3.8 V6 and a ~275 HP 2.0T with a 6-speed manual/8-speed auto combo. Sounds really dynamite, especially if they keep the prices decently in check!

If you fixed my pictures thanks Clark!
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 15 2011, 02:28 PM) *
If you fixed my pictures thanks Clark!

moe
Official photos:

This is one I'll have to see in person to judge. Looks great in some photos, looks like they've ruined it in others. New interior is a definite upgrade though.
shandyman5
Engines and new interiors looks great....

Front end looks way to Mazda-ish, and I really think they went a step backwards with the front end.
OHirtenfelder
Agreed. The front end treatment is a definite regression. Oh well. The next one, then...
clarkma5
I much prefer the new face actually, it's less generic, more expressive, ties in with the rest of their lineup better, etc.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 14 2012, 03:38 PM) *
I much prefer the new face actually, it's less generic, more expressive, ties in with the rest of their lineup better, etc.

This.
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 14 2012, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Razor @ Jan 14 2012, 03:43 PM) *
This.

To each his own... I find the current one much more handsome and appealing.
Synesthesia
Looks best in bright colors, still the back is the only nice looking part of this car. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.