Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad Day
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Bjorn
From Autoblog

Automotive News is reporting that Mazda has stopped production of its RX-8 sports car due to lackluster sales and ever tighter global emissions standards. The Japanese automaker was forced to remove the model from European showrooms last year after it failed to meet emissions standards, and the company says that it simply can't justify continuing to manufacture the vehicle without sales in the old country.

According to the report, production wrapped up in Hiroshima, Japan in July, and global sales will finish up this year. While this may be the end for the rotary sports car in the near-term, Mazda has made it clear that the manufacturer isn't giving up on its rotary heritage any time soon.

Such a shame that they once again ended production instead of replacing it with something.

Roumour also has it that Mazda is axing rotary research, and spending dollars elsewhere.

A shame, but not unexpected. There is no place for a rotary in a world of alloy engines with direct injection. two hundred pounds, 9,000 RPM and 100bhp per litre might've been impressive in the 80's but it's old hat in 2011.

Good bye old friend.
DB9
Aren't they working on a replacement right now?
Bjorn
Latest word is that Mazda had to cut some R&D money, and the Renesis project is probably getting he axe.
UserDrew
Maybe something to compete with Toyota's FT86 is in the works? Too much to hope for?
Bjorn
A Miata coupe has been theorized since the beginning of time (and even a few have been built), but I think with the Miata RC we won't be seeing one of those.

I would love to see a FT-86 fighter . . . something with the Mazdaspeed 3 engine and RWD . . .
shandyman5
Buh bye rotary, you won't be missed.
Rolfever
Not bye bye rotary; they said that they are developing a new one which should meet the European emissions standards. That being said, they stopped production but they still have plenty of the used cars for sale in my country. I liked the RX-8, and I'm sure ill still be seeing it around for the next 10 years.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Rolfever @ Aug 24 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Not bye bye rotary; they said that they are developing a new one which should meet the European emissions standards. That being said, they stopped production but they still have plenty of the used cars for sale in my country. I liked the RX-8, and I'm sure ill still be seeing it around for the next 10 years.

Wow, I actually thought you weren't SPAM.... I am disappointed at how long it took to realize. Why not just be a real member, why do you have to spam the place?
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Aug 24 2011, 10:04 AM) *
Wow, I actually thought you weren't SPAM.... I am disappointed at how long it took to realize. Why not just be a real member, why do you have to spam the place?

Yeah seriously... had me fooled too.
Seethegrim
sad.gif Very very very sad news for me. The Mazda RX8 was going to be my next car. Been in love with the RX8 (shape, rotary, everything) for absolute years.
DonJuanMair
i love my RX8, my engine is about to go on mine though, need to get that replaced, apart from the shit mpg for such lack of power I still love the way it handles and looks
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Aug 27 2011, 11:33 AM) *
i love my RX8, my engine is about to go on mine though, need to get that replaced, apart from the shit mpg for such lack of power I still love the way it handles and looks

This explains a lot
Razor
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Aug 27 2011, 03:21 PM) *
This explains a lot

I literally LOL'd at that. Are people really wondering why rotary needs to disappear?
shandyman5
I LOL'd as well..... silly rotary.
DonJuanMair
the new ones apparently don't have that problem anymore, my problem is that i lose power when it gets over 100 degrees, which is pretty much most of the time here in Vegas.

That being said i wouldn't buy a rotary again
Synesthesia
I really seriously considered buying one, I love the car. I'd like to own one some day as a car I don't need to depend on, I think it will be a classic.
Bjorn
I really liked them, and would love to own one, but it just never seemed to fit.

It's too thirsty and small to be a DD for me (I have kids and a dog), but if I were going to buy a weekend toy, I would go for something a bit more hard-core, like a 986 or a 964.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.