Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HP abandons computers and WebOS devices
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
Bjorn
According to a story on 9to5mac.com HP announced that it's going to stop building computers and WebOS tablet and phone devices.

Don't really know how to feel about this. I thought HP computers were some of the best out there.
DB9
Razor is probably weeping in a corner somewhere.
Razor
QUOTE(DB9 @ Aug 18 2011, 07:31 PM) *
Razor is probably weeping in a corner somewhere.

Nah, I'm just waiting for them to license it out. I knew HP was incapable of doing something good with such a good platform.

Leo Apotheker has the decision making ability of a kindergartener.

It's not over until the community dies. I love this OS so much I'll use it until I no longer have a device for it. There will be devices for it, though. Just you wait...
Asher
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 18 2011, 10:21 PM) *
Nah, I'm just waiting for them to license it out. I knew HP was incapable of doing something good with such a good platform.

Leo Apotheker has the decision making ability of a kindergartener.

It's not over until the community dies. I love this OS so much I'll use it until I no longer have a device for it. There will be devices for it, though. Just you wait...

That's a lot of faith. I thought the TechCrunch article was pretty on point about HP's best move, if a little out there. Sad to see the hardware support die even before the Pre3 hit stores here, I was definitely considering one. Hopefully TouchPads will be dirt cheap soon.
Razor
QUOTE(Asher @ Aug 18 2011, 10:24 PM) *
That's a lot of faith. I thought the TechCrunch article was pretty on point about HP's best move, if a little out there. Sad to see the hardware support die even before the Pre3 hit stores here, I was definitely considering one. Hopefully TouchPads will be dirt cheap soon.

Open source is impossible, but licensing is not even close to out of the question.
Asher
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 18 2011, 10:46 PM) *
Open source is impossible, but licensing is not even close to out of the question.

I agree but the "It's free if you make it better bit" seems far fetched.
Razor
QUOTE(Asher @ Aug 18 2011, 11:10 PM) *
I agree but the "It's free if you make it better bit" seems far fetched.

Yeah. And let's face it, Samsung wouldn't make it better. I think the original people need to keep doing the software (because it's excellent) and HTC needs to do the hardware. That would sell like hotcakes.
Asher
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 18 2011, 11:15 PM) *
Yeah. And let's face it, Samsung wouldn't make it better. I think the original people need to keep doing the software (because it's excellent) and HTC needs to do the hardware. That would sell like hotcakes.

As long as they made it high end, their down market plastic stuff is pretty mediocre. People want (and are willing to pay for) high quality hardware. I only wish HP put some more effort into it, the OS certainly has potential to gain decent market share.
Razor
QUOTE(Asher @ Aug 18 2011, 11:25 PM) *
As long as they made it high end, their down market plastic stuff is pretty mediocre. People want (and are willing to pay for) high quality hardware. I only wish HP put some more effort into it, the OS certainly has potential to gain decent market share.

Yeah, HP is pathetic, and as they found today... the market doesn't like them either. Down 15% for their shenanigans. Go back to snarfing your goddamn printer ink you corporate headcases; Hewlett and Packard are rolling in their graves.
shandyman5
Just to stir the pot, if Carly Fiorina was still running the joint, this would NOT be happening.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Aug 19 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Just to stir the pot, if Carly Fiorina was still running the joint, this would NOT be happening.

QFT.

Now the stock is down 20%. They royally fucked themselves. Long live webOS!
Razor
So I hear we'll have 200,000 new users in the webOS community by this time tomorrow. That's cool.
DB9
Rumor has it HP had the price at $99 for a little bit..
Razor
QUOTE(DB9 @ Aug 19 2011, 11:55 PM) *
Rumor has it HP had the price at $99 for a little bit..

Rumor? How about the entire blogosphere and Twitter. HP's site is sold out, Best Buy Canada is 100% sold out, and every other retailer will be sold out by this time tomorrow, because Best Buy USA only starts the sale at 7AM.

This is EPIC news for webOS developers.
Asher
I think I just ordered one from Microcenter, card was charged but no confirmation email yet. We'll see. Hell of a deal.

Edit: Got the email woo.

Edit: And theres the cancellation.
Razor
QUOTE(Asher @ Aug 20 2011, 08:52 AM) *
I think I just ordered one from Microcenter, card was charged but no confirmation email yet. We'll see. Hell of a deal.

Edit: Got the email woo.

Edit: And theres the cancellation.

I've yet to hear from my friend, but he ordered 4. On IRC sounds like a bunch of people's orders went through.

EDIT: If your order failed, go brick & mortar. All retailers must match those prices, no questions asked.
Furguson
I think it is logical.. It was obvious that webOs can't compete with other mobile oses that are popolar today. Otherwise, HP would need to invest great sums of money into its promotion. Taking into account its low market share, it was predictable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.