Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 911 991 pictures unveiled
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Matt_L
Not too sure of the fog lights and taillights... Will have to see it in the flesh!

Altostratus
stupid PDK buttons!!!!

just gimme some damn paddles already!
Razor
Oh look, another one.
shandyman5
Wow, I have to say I really do not like the look of this from the pictures. The taillights are way to slit eyed and the interior is way to Panameraish. I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person, but so far no good. thumbs_down.gif
Altostratus
looks likes its stoned.

win.

also looks more comfortable, extra win. also, am i the only one who hates the left handed key in porsches? im also left handed.
UserDrew
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 17 2011, 01:02 PM) *
Oh look, another one.

I think it looks awesome, but yeah.
Bjorn
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Aug 17 2011, 07:29 PM) *
Aam i the only one who hates the left handed key in porsches? im also left handed.

That's so you can simultaneously start it and slot it into gear. A hold over from the days of the LeMans start, where you would run to your car, start it, drive away and do up your belts on the Mulsane straight — it gave Porsche drivers an advantage. I like the tradition.

I think this new 911 is very pretty. I loved the 997, but I think I could appreciate the 991 (not sure if they will actually call it that) even more.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 17 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Oh look, another one.

And none of them are as fat and ugly as the Datsun GTR
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 17 2011, 10:57 PM) *
And none of them are as fat and ugly as the Datsun GTR

But somehow they're slower! canadian.gif
911xx
Can't wait to see what the Turbo S or GT2 looks like.
moe
Absolutely love it. Those new taillights are very slick.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 18 2011, 12:25 AM) *
But somehow they're slower! canadian.gif

False.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 17 2011, 09:54 PM) *
That's so you can simultaneously start it and slot it into gear. A hold over from the days of the LeMans start, where you would run to your car, start it, drive away and do up your belts on the Mulsane straight — it gave Porsche drivers an advantage. I like the tradition.

I think this new 911 is very pretty. I loved the 997, but I think I could appreciate the 991 (not sure if they will actually call it that) even more.

This, is indeed correct. I love that they have kept the tradition as well.
Aircooled
Its different but I'm sure it will grow on me, just like every other 911 has...
Diesel
rear badges and front fogs/ducts are gross
b0mb3r
its a 911.
still has to look like a dog pooping.
Boxster17
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Aug 17 2011, 05:46 PM) *
The taillights are way to slit eyed and the interior is way to Panameraish. I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person, but so far no good. thumbs_down.gif

I think the taillights look pretty nice when they're on, though like you mentioned, you can tell they carried over a similar center console design to the Panamera/Cayenne:

clarkma5
I like the way it looks, but I'm wondering if this is the generation where the 911 will truly transcend into being a hairdresser's car. More wheelbase, more refinement...I'm sure it'll be amazingly capable, but the 997 was already on the brink of being too soft in Carrera form. This will almost undoubtedly push it over the edge. I guess only time will tell though...
shandyman5
I actually find your thought to be backwards Clark, I felt the 996 was more on the hairdresser side, while the 997 was a come back to a 911 in it's purest form, but as you said, time will tell for the 991.
shandyman5
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Aug 18 2011, 09:37 PM) *
its a 911.
still has to look like a dog pooping.

WTF does that even mean? LOL

QUOTE(Boxster17 @ Aug 18 2011, 10:50 PM) *
I think the taillights look pretty nice when they're on, though like you mentioned, you can tell they carried over a similar center console design to the Panamera/Cayenne:

Wow, you're from Westfield? I have never seen you on here before, whats going on? Stick around man. Do you have a Boxster?
speedyK
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Aug 17 2011, 10:46 PM) *
Wow, I have to say I really do not like the look of this from the pictures. The taillights are way to slit eyed and the interior is way to Panameraish. I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person, but so far no good. thumbs_down.gif

To most laypeople, it's just another Porsche – same as they've been for over 40 years. – they won't see a difference.

As for the Panamera-ish interior - well, what a surprise. Personally, I feel that the 911 should haver received a sleek, integrated central console like this back in the days of th 964 instead of the Beetle-like that persisted for ages and ages.

As for the spec:

– 10 cm more wheelbase gives more cockpit room, which will increase the viability of the 4-seater aspect without really detracting from the car's driver-orientated aspirations thumbs_up.gif

– Importantly, it is NOT wider than the 997 thumbs_up.gif

– Weighs less thumbs_up.gif

– Has more power thumbs_up.gif

– Is more economical thumbs_up.gif

What's not to like?!

Well, the points I'm not so sure about are:

– The 7-speed manual option – overkill? I wonder if Porsche wanted to just offer the PDK, but then deliberately released info with no mention of a manual option to see justv how much protest there would be and have now conceded to the cries by making the manual version of the same 7-speed box (seven speeds is less of an issue if it's a PDK, IMO).

– The new servo steering. People always praise the 911's steering feel – well, having owned both, I can clearly say that the 911 cannot hold a candle to the Lotus chassis cars, so if they'd made it worse, that would be a big thumbs_down.gif Interviews in the german press with the development engineers report assurances that they realise how important steering feel is in the 911 and of course they wouldn't do anything to spoil it – but they would claim that, wouldn't they.

I would like a 991 GT 4S, please

– with the big, opens back over the top of the car sunroof.

But they will probably only get round to making that in 6 years or so...
nismo
This Porsche makes me wetter than a swimming pool.
clarkma5
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Aug 19 2011, 10:12 AM) *
I actually find your thought to be backwards Clark, I felt the 996 was more on the hairdresser side, while the 997 was a come back to a 911 in it's purest form, but as you said, time will tell for the 991.

Each successive generation of the 911 has undoubtedly gotten more refined, more user-friendly, and more comfortable, and the switch from 996 to 997 was no exception IMO. I think the 996 just doesn't look the part as much to a lot of people, but I'm talking about how they actually are to live with (and I've grown to love the way the 996 looks anyway, in both its original and post-facelift forms. I actually find the original 997 to look really dowdy and a bit off these days...sorry, speedyk).
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 19 2011, 09:03 PM) *
more refined, more user-friendly, and more comfortable

You speak like this is a bad thing for car enthusiasts. And yet I get criticized for hating Apple from people. WHAT THE SHIT
clarkma5
I'm implying refinement, user-friendliness, and comfort are mutually exclusive with the je ne sais quoi of special performance vehicles. It's not entirely true, but it's pretty true...
SwissWhiskey
Very Nice.

N/A GT3 (RS) with a stick please.
911xx
QUOTE(speedyK @ Aug 19 2011, 03:54 PM) *

That is my dream daily driver. In the same color please. O.mg. drool3.gif
DB9
QUOTE(911xx @ Aug 20 2011, 06:08 AM) *
That is my dream daily driver. In the same color please. O.mg. drool3.gif

I agree. This thing is incredible woot.gif
speedyK
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 20 2011, 09:46 AM) *
I'm implying refinement, user-friendliness, and comfort are mutually exclusive with the je ne sais quoi of special performance vehicles. It's not entirely true, but it's pretty true...

I know what you mean. There are people who find the 993 more exciting than current models because the sensation of speed is greater.

And I think I posted before that in my totally analogue Matra (with carburettor, not FI; zero electronic aids – not even ABS; no servo-assisted steering, etc. and only a crude Chrysler 118 bhp 4 pot but low and wide, with perfect mid-engined balance) it feels great to take it to its limits – you really work quite hard – but it is very involving and satisfying.

If I step into the 997 directly afterwards, it is rock solid, superbly built, perfect seat, perfect gearchange, perfect brakes. Yet, in most circumstances on the road, I can only use a tiny fraction of the available performance – there is no challenge, no drama. Although it is supremely competent, it doesn't really move me. Impress me with its abilities, yes, but not move me.

However, if I want to get somewhere in comfort and quickly – no matter what conditions may occur, I choose the 997. Even my wife, who hates the Porsche image, doesn't argue then.

I know people who use 997s as daily drivers. For me on fairly short runs it is overkill. I take my neealy 13 year-old, 45k miles 106 GTI if there are several people or bigger loads involved. If it is only me and one passenger, I take the car with the most accessible fun with modern levels of comfort and perfectly adequate performance – my Brabus Xclusive Smart Roadster-Coupé cool.gif

But I reckon the 991 will be an improvement on the 997's core abilities as a great car to get places quickly and in comfort. That almost sounds like a description that would fit a high-powered 7 series BMW, big Audi, Jag or Mercs – though the dynamics of the 911 are superior. Thing is, it is so able that you rarely get a chance to enjoy making it work a little, so you are more a passenger than a driver.
DaGonz
heart.gif Sweet!heart.gif
shandyman5
It is growing on me slowly, still have to see it on person to decide for sure.
Matt_L
It looks like they've finally upgraded the PDK and went with the good "old" paddle shift, check out at ~0:35

BORKED
Bjorn
I think you could get paddle shift on the 997 Turbo S . . . not sure about the rest of the range. If you look at the below picture though, you can see the thumb toggles. Makes me suspect that the paddles will be an option (maybe packaged with a track pack?).

Matt_L
You are most likely right. I hope every customer get that option so Porsche will finally realize that this "push/pull" system need to be replaced...
Bjorn
My Subaru has the same sort of system. Pull for down, push for up . . . I often fantasize about pulling apart the centre console and switching the wires around.
Matt_L
Pic of the gear knob, so weird to see a 7!

Bjorn
I hope the first six gears are normal and the 7th is like an extremem overdrive . . . I hate it when cars have too many gears for their own good.

I drove an NC MX-5 with the six speed and I had to be in 5th for 60km/h . . . it was a great transmission to shift, but you had to do it too often in the city for the car to be enjoyable to drive.
moe
^ I was bitching and moaning about the 7-speed manual, but then Clark told me on G+ that it's mainly an overdrive gear. Not so concerned anymore.
clarkma5
The proper paddles have been an option across the range since a few months after the 997 Turbo got them, pretty cheap too (by porsche standards)...I think $390 in the US.

Apparently the 7-speed manual is really the same as the PDK box except the servos have been replaced with the stick and the dual clutch has been replaced with a single one. Otherwise the box design, input and output shafts, gears etc. are all the same between the two of them.
SwissWhiskey
If you don't want the manual to die then live with it.

Then again this is Porsche, not Kia. They know how to make a proper manual transmission.

They know what their doing. Their German, their attention to detail is a bit over the top.
moe
^ Funny you should say that. I've never used a Mercedes manual worth using tongue.gif
shandyman5
^ That is cause MB is to stupid to offer a manual option for anything other than the C300 in the US.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 4 2011, 10:38 AM) *
^ That is cause MB is to stupid to offer a manual option for anything other than the C300 in the US.

We've been over this, I thought. If you want a manual in any of their cars that doesn't rock an AMG or Black Series badge, you're doing it wrong.
shandyman5
I would like one in their AMG or Black series cars....
moe
I'm not even sure MB knows how to make manuals anymore.
SwissWhiskey
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 4 2011, 04:38 PM) *

Stupid? You live in a country which most of it's population is incapable of driving a stick, and most MB clients in the States aren't exactly car enthusiasts. Why bother?

QUOTE(moe @ Sep 5 2011, 11:08 AM) *
I'm not even sure MB knows how to make manuals anymore.

Most likely true.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Sep 4 2011, 12:46 PM) *
I would like one in their AMG or Black series cars....

AMG, yeah, I agree, they should probably offer a manual option. Black Series are borderline race cars, and have transmissions for that purpose.

That being said I spent a lot of time and miles driving a C300 yesterday. My god, that is the worst transmission I've used in a long, long time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.