Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside the world's most humane prison
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
OHirtenfelder
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29...1989083,00.html

This is so beyond 'fair' treatment of prisoners. This is nicer than what 30% of South Africans live in outside of prison. Just wow!
Razor
That's disgusting. If it were up to me,

To the dick.

From 3 feet away.
bankE46
Ever consider that this prison will actually produce functional members of society rather than animalistic, hate-filled, violent folks who will be back in prison in weeks because they have no idea how to exist outside of a gang-controlled warzone? Just take a look at re-incarceration rates between countries and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that it looks extremely plush, but the percentage of the population of norway that is actually incarcerated is far far less than in America, making the relative costs of a humane prison much lower.

Yes - there are times when someone should be locked away for life because they simply don't have the capacity to be amongst the general public without committing heinous acts. However, taking someone who is spending only a few years in prison and using those years to turn them into a hardened career criminal rather than impressing upon them that society actually gives two shits about them and wants them to fundamentally and permanently alter their lifestyles just perpetuates criminal behavior and keeps prisons crowded. Then you end up with a privatized industry around incarceration, profit motivation for keeping people locked up, and 10% of your population behind fucking bars. (see: USA).

Just because other countries can't afford humane prisons doesn't mean that countries that can should stoop to a lower level of prisoner care and rehabilitation. I don't see a cause for alarm if one deem's another country's prisons "too nice". Shouldn't one be more concerned with countries that provide inhumane, unhygienic conditions and advocate prisoner torture??
Razor
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Jul 27 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Ever consider that this prison will actually produce functional members of society rather than animalistic, hate-filled, violent folks who will be back in prison in weeks because they have no idea how to exist outside of a gang-controlled warzone? Just take a look at re-incarceration rates between countries and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that it looks extremely plush, but the percentage of the population of norway that is actually incarcerated is far far less than in America, making the relative costs of a humane prison much lower.

Yes - there are times when someone should be locked away for life because they simply don't have the capacity to be amongst the general public without committing heinous acts. However, taking someone who is spending only a few years in prison and using those years to turn them into a hardened career criminal rather than impressing upon them that society actually gives two shits about them and wants them to fundamentally and permanently alter their lifestyles just perpetuates criminal behavior and keeps prisons crowded. Then you end up with a privatized industry around incarceration, profit motivation for keeping people locked up, and 10% of your population behind fucking bars. (see: USA).

Breivik and people like him have no place on this planet, in prison or not.
bankE46
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 27 2011, 12:45 PM) *
Breivik and people like him have no place on this planet, in prison or not.

QUOTE(bankE46 @ Jul 27 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Yes - there are times when someone should be locked away for life because they simply don't have the capacity to be amongst the general public without committing heinous acts.

Agreed. But, as a Norwegian citizen he falls under their jurisdiction and their laws. However, if he is tried for crimes against humanity, he may be put in front of the ICC and could face death.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jul 27 2011, 04:13 PM) *
This is nicer than what 30% of South Africans live in outside of prison. Just wow!

haha I thought the same thing. Man, that prison is more stylish than my apartment! What in fact is the down side to going to that prison? Do they take applications?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.