Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The FT-86 just got a WHOLE LOT MORE awesome!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Diesel
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528

"The front dash has a beautiful sweeping line, and yet the front corners are recessed into the front window base," Miwa reported to the Club4AG online community.

"I asked why, and Tada-san replied 'It's so you can install a roll cage to regulations for many venues, without cutting up this dash'."

The engine? It's still EJ20 based shape. But Toyota re-casted everything, even down to the engine block with a new design, and with the Yamaha acoustics assigned to make every pulse, beat, and soul of air and vibration to become something to spice performance and tactile feel. Not much is exactly shared with the Subaru engine except the flat four configurations. However, the external mounting points remain the same as the Subaru EJ20, shared for very obvious reasons. That is so YOU can use a Subaru engine to swap if you PREFER the Subaru engine for racing. Why bother with complex fabrication, if Subaru has something you can use from 11 years of WRC?
911xx
Again, yes please.
Razor
If this all doesn't turn out to be bullshit, AND they price it like they promised, then I'll actually be impressed with Toyota for the first time in... uh? A while?
911xx
I think they must have made enough money selling beige Corollas CE and gray Camrys LE to give the FT86 everything promised.
Asher
This is excellent news.
dukenukem
Can I drop a LS block in it?
moe
^ Where there is a V8, there's a way.
goota
i think this is the only car with the potential to persuade me to buy a new car. (assuming it lives up to the hype)
shandyman5
Reserving credit, until vehicle actually comes out. Knowing Toyota they will find a way to botch it.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 19 2011, 08:06 AM) *
Reserving credit, until vehicle actually comes out. Knowing Toyota they will find a way to botch it.

That too is my fear, just based on experience. Scion was supposed to be a sporty lifestyle brand, remember? LOL.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Jul 18 2011, 11:38 PM) *
^ Where there is a V8, there's a way.

Altostratus
im sure a 3uz-fe would slot in juuuuuust nicely.
MustangAficionado
Further impressed. Even though I'll likely not buy one, it'll make me happy to see em around.
moe
So was in a discussion with some journos close to the people at Toyota. Apparently they've already figured out the pricing for the Middle East spec cars. When I talked about it being similar in price to the 370Z, they smiled and said, "Our lips are sealed. All we can say is it won't be expensive." If they can deliver it with a manual (most cars sold here aren't), at about USD $25k, I'll be the first in line.

Bjorn
I'm guessing that it'll be priced to compete with the Genesis Coupe . . . maybe with a bit of a premium cuz it is a Toyota. Shitty thing is that in Canada we'll probably have to pay a $10k premium over our American cousins.

I'm leaving my newspaper gig for something in radio in May . . . and with that my free pass to test cars. Grumble. Looks like if I want to drive one I'll have to pretend like I can afford a third car.
911xx
moe
The real deal.

I want one.
dukenukem
The first test drive by Autocar

Sounds like Toyota might just pull off a winner!
Synesthesia
Getting stoked! Curious to see what sort of options there will be and what Subaru's version is going to look like. biggrin.gif
shandyman5
Im waiting to see what the Subaru version will look like as well, and I have to be honest, it just doesn't sound that impressive to me. I await comparison tests before I draw conclusions but everything about it just seems so meh.
911xx
For me, it's pretty much confirmed that it will be a RWD Civic SI, the size of a miata..
moe
The Autocar test sounds awesome. A car that focuses on driver enjoyment rather than performance numbers? Count me in. Nevermind the fact that it does it using a classic, low weight + RWD formula. This is what all fun, affordable coupes should be like. I seriously hope this makes Mazda take another look at building a Miata-based coupe.
clarkma5
JDM specs leaked http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2...667-pounds.html

Sounds great to me. A 200 HP NA 2.0 H4 with a curb weight around 2700 pounds, RWD, 6-speed manual, torsen LSD, double wishbone rear and REASONABLE tire sizes. It's going on my future shopping list for sure, as long as it's not 370Z money...
Bjorn
Sounds great to me too. Like Moe, I really hope this encourages other manufacturers to recognize that this is a viable market. A new 240 and small rotary coupe would be most welcome.

As for whether I would buy one . . . I dunno. Right now, if I had the money for a second car I think I would go with something older from Stuttgart.

If I were single, and could only have one car, it would most-def be on the list.
moe
If they offer it with a manual in the UAE, I'm buying one.
shandyman5
QUOTE(911xx @ Oct 30 2011, 11:29 PM) *
For me, it's pretty much confirmed that it will be a RWD Civic SI, the size of a miata..

That's not a good thing.

QUOTE(moe @ Oct 31 2011, 05:54 AM) *
The Autocar test sounds awesome. A car that focuses on driver enjoyment rather than performance numbers? Count me in. Nevermind the fact that it does it using a classic, low weight + RWD formula. This is what all fun, affordable coupes should be like. I seriously hope this makes Mazda take another look at building a Miata-based coupe.

I just hope this doesn't mean it doesn't turn into a tin can rattle trap. Plus, toyoyta has just done to many wrong things to make me "believe" before this car actually comes out and goes head to head in some comparison tests.

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 31 2011, 03:06 PM) *
JDM specs leaked http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2...667-pounds.html

Sounds great to me. A 200 HP NA 2.0 H4 with a curb weight around 2700 pounds, RWD, 6-speed manual, torsen LSD, double wishbone rear and REASONABLE tire sizes. It's going on my future shopping list for sure, as long as it's not 370Z money...

Needs wider tires, and about 50-100 more hp. Cars can be lightweight, and still have HP. I don't think it will be 370Z money, but I also don't think it will be cheap either. Unless, like I mentioned above, it is a performance tin can.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 31 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Sounds great to me too. Like Moe, I really hope this encourages other manufacturers to recognize that this is a viable market. A new 240 and small rotary coupe would be most welcome.

As for whether I would buy one . . . I dunno. Right now, if I had the money for a second car I think I would go with something older from Stuttgart.

If I were single, and could only have one car, it would most-def be on the list.

You need to let the rotary die. It is garbage.

A new 240 however would be awesome.

The perks of owning something from Stuttgart is that your getting a bad ass air cooled Porsche. The negative, maintenance.

QUOTE(moe @ Nov 5 2011, 10:48 AM) *
If they offer it with a manual in the UAE, I'm buying one.

It will be offered with a manual I am sure, but it sounds like your jumping the gun a little bit there. Remember, we are talking about Toyota here.
911xx
You're just a hater.
Bjorn
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 5 2011, 09:44 PM) *
You need to let the rotary die. It is garbage.

A new 240 however would be awesome.

The perks of owning something from Stuttgart is that your getting a bad ass air cooled Porsche. The negative, maintenance.

I'm still holding out hope that Mazda cracks the rotary. It's such a nice (but deeply flawed) power plant. Hell, the 2012 Mustang has a DOHC V8 . . . anything's possible.

I would only buy an old Porsche as a second car . . . I owned RX-7s for 6 years, and learned the value of a reliable DD. I'm still amazed every time I twist the key in my Subaru Wagon and it just starts. I'm hesatant, but I think it's the best car I've owned.

QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 5 2011, 09:44 PM) *
It will be offered with a manual I am sure, but it sounds like your jumping the gun a little bit there. Remember, we are talking about Toyota here.

I think Moe was commenting on the fact that manual cars are very hard to come by in the Middle East, regardless of the model.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 5 2011, 10:52 PM) *
I'm still holding out hope that Mazda cracks the rotary. It's such a nice (but deeply flawed) power plant. Hell, the 2012 Mustang has a DOHC V8 . . . anything's possible.

I would only buy an old Porsche as a second car . . . I owned RX-7s for 6 years, and learned the value of a reliable DD. I'm still amazed every time I twist the key in my Subaru Wagon and it just starts. I'm hesatant, but I think it's the best car I've owned.

I think Moe was commenting on the fact that manual cars are very hard to come by in the Middle East, regardless of the model.

If Mazda could perfect the rotary with say, turbo's or less oil consumption it would be a great platform... plus torque.

Subaru's are great cars, they really, truly are. Except for those single layer head gaskets on the N/A EJ25.

The Mustang first had a DOHC V8 in it in 1996, lol. Shockingly it has been 15 years.

QUOTE(911xx @ Nov 5 2011, 10:45 PM) *
You're just a hater.

Of what?
Bjorn
1996? Seriously? Why did I think it was pushrods until 2012?
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 6 2011, 09:37 AM) *
1996? Seriously? Why did I think it was pushrods until 2012?

Nope. Chevy still utilizes the ol' pushrod. Ford hasn't used a pushrod V8 (302ci/5.0l) in the Mustang since 1995. In 1996 they went to a SOHC V8 (281ci/4.6l) in the Mustang GT, and a DOHC 4.6l in the Cobra. They used the DOHC 4.6L in the Cobra until 2004. When the GT500 came out (in 2005) a DOHC 5.4l was used. The Mustang GT was a SOHC 2-valve from 1996 until 2004. In 2005 the new "retro" body style had a 4.6L 3-valve SOHC. Finally, in 2011 the new 5.0 moved the GT into DOHC territory like it's big brother the Cobra/GT500.
moe
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 6 2011, 06:44 AM) *

Not necessarily in the UAE. Barely anything is available is a manual here. Hell, they even stopped selling a the Miata as a manual...the thing was launched as manual-only, and now it's morphed into an auto-only chick-car. Also, Autocar's got first drive reports of pre-production models of both the Subaru and the Toyota versions, and honestly I'm not sure they could get this car wrong.
moe
Ladies and gentlemen, the GT 86.

Autocar's first drive.

...the driving experience is a match for the likes of a Porsche Cayman, and accolades donít come much higher than that.

Sold.
bobo27
not bad at all. i really like the boxer/86 badge on the side and the interior.
Bjorn
According to Autocar, in the UK it is being priced close to the 370Z (£28,000 versus £29,950), and above a base Audi A5 coupe (£26,490) and BMW 3 Series coupe (£25,000).

That's really disappointing.
caster
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 27 2011, 05:08 PM) *
According to Autocar, in the UK it is being priced close to the 370Z (£28,000 versus £29,950), and above a base Audi A5 coupe (£26,490) and BMW 3 Series coupe ($25,000).

That's really disappointing.

I don't think this is a red flag for those of us in the States. European market prices don't exactly translate directly into US dollars when the cars arrive here. I'm hoping its in the $20-25k range, I really want this to be my next car. My lease ends just in time too (March 2012).
shandyman5
Still waiting until I drive one.... I cannot believe Toyota could get this so right on their first try. Seems to good to be true. I also like the Subaru concept better.
moe
QUOTE(caster @ Nov 28 2011, 05:54 AM) *
I don't think this is a red flag for those of us in the States. European market prices don't exactly translate directly into US dollars when the cars arrive here. I'm hoping its in the $20-25k range, I really want this to be my next car. My lease ends just in time too (March 2012).

QFT. Also Leif, remember that the base engines for the 3 series coupe and A5 are significantly weaker in Europe. 27k for a 3-series gets you a 318i coupe, which has a 143hp, and the base A5 is a 1.8 TFSI with 170hp. The GT86 weighs a lot less than those cars, AND has more power. I can't explain the Z, but from my understanding, Nissan has priced it considerably below its closest competitors in Europe (appropriate-engined Z4, Cayman, etc).
moe
Hah, I posted some reviews of the GT86 on my FB, and said how much I wanted it. Some guy from the local Peugeot Club replied, saying it was a useless car, and that the 207 RC had the best handling of any car, ever...

Right.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 28 2011, 12:26 AM) *
QFT. Also Leif, remember that the base engines for the 3 series coupe and A5 are significantly weaker in Europe. 27k for a 3-series gets you a 318i coupe, which has a 143hp, and the base A5 is a 1.8 TFSI with 170hp. The GT86 weighs a lot less than those cars, AND has more power. I can't explain the Z, but from my understanding, Nissan has priced it considerably below its closest competitors in Europe (appropriate-engined Z4, Cayman, etc).

Let us hope.

These cars look brilliant, but I think their success (and longevity in the market) is somewhat dependent on their pricing.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 28 2011, 07:15 AM) *
Hah, I posted some reviews of the GT86 on my FB, and said how much I wanted it. Some guy from the local Peugeot Club replied, saying it was a useless car, and that the 207 RC had the best handling of any car, ever...

Right.

Sounds like that guy is the most useless idiot ever......

Right. dry.gif
Razor
Toyota has fucked up so much in the past 10 years that I still will not forgive them until I drive this. If it's good, then they've redeemed themselves, plain and simple.

Too bad the US version will be ruined by horrific Scion branding as well.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 28 2011, 10:12 AM) *
Toyota has fucked up so much in the past 10 years that I still will not forgive them until I drive this. If it's good, then they've redeemed themselves, plain and simple.

Too bad the US version will be ruined by horrific Scion branding as well.

I completely agree with you on this... To many people are jumping on this bandwagon before the car has even been released.
911xx
Toyota's new president is directly the cause of the 86. He's a sports car driver and wanted the brand to bring back the fun to drive, not bland to drive, aspect. I have faith in that!
bobo27
Subaru has debuted its production version of the sport coupe, The BRZ sport coupe.

It looks a bit cleaner, i miss the aggressive fog lamp design on the Toyota.

shandyman5
I definitely like the Subaru version better...... I could see Subaru coming out with an STi-esque version and if it had some balls, with Brembo's and handled well... well damn I would even be sold.
Bjorn
It's probably the angles the photos were taken from, but I don't like the Subaru version much.

I'm also kinda disappointed by the similarity to the Toyota. What's supposed to differentiate them in the market?
moe
^ Rumor is Subaru is supposed to be more powerful. But for what it's worth, I really can't tell the difference between the two.
Razor
You know what's going to kill this thing? The fact that it has tires as wide as wagon wheels.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 29 2011, 06:21 AM) *
You know what's going to kill this thing? The fact that it has tires as wide as wagon wheels.

I love that...it's a lightweight car, you don't need steamroller tires to have good grip. Cuts down on unsprung weight, makes tire replacement more affordable.

So far the worst thing I can say about these cars is "ride height".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.