Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Car
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
DB9
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on. I haven't had access to internet since May 22nd for various reasons, which explains my sudden disappearance. In the meantime, however, I finally got a hold of my first car (since I've had my license I've just been using whatever car my parents weren't driving). Decided I needed a car, so I got a '97 Nissan Maxima. Nothing really special, but my uncle knew a guy that wanted to sell it and it was extremely cheap.

Essential info:

'97 Nissan Maxima
~100k
5spd MT
3.0L 190hp
Power everything
Aftermarket Pioneer radio of some kind.

Pics:
http://imgur.com/GDAGq

http://imgur.com/kQDpG

http://imgur.com/OgYEg

I actually don't know how to drive a manual yet, but I'm in the process of learning. The only manual car I had access to in order to practice on was an '82 Volkswagen Rabbit that has electrical gremlins left and right, so I never had a proper car to learn on. Looking forward to driving this thing though. thumbs_up.gif

The pictures were huge and I don't have time to resize them right now, so I just put a link to them instead.
clarkma5
Nice! That gen of Maxima is a great car, the VQ30 is a gem in terms of refinement, power, and fuel economy, and it's nice that you got a 5-speed. Looks clean as well. Enjoy it.
moe
Props for getting a manual. I think you'll enjoy the car. They're quite popular here, and I've driven them quite a bit.
Altostratus
they sound mean with a cone filter. thats all i know.
shandyman5
Congrats man, those motors are bulletproof.
DB9
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the engine in this thing. Hopefully it lives up to it's reputation. Learning manual is a slow but steady process, especially since I'm in a relatively big city right now.
skr
You'll notice that dead stop accelerations isn't so much about the gas, more than it is about the clutch. Finding the sweet spot on the clutch is key. The harder part of learning to drive stick is being able to multitask and coordinate the extra motions while paying attention to the road and surroundings. Nothing but practice can teach you that.

A good thing to do is to learn how many RPMs each gear falls between each gear shift. For example, if you shift from 1st to second at 3000RPM, see where it drops down to, usually around 2000RPM or below. Memorize how many RPM that is. This will eventually lead to smoother upshifting and downshifting, and helps you learn rev matching later on.

Congrats on your first car, and have fun driving it!
DB9
My clutch pedal isn't returning back up to normal position after I press it down. The car runs fine (returns enough so the clutch disengages), I just have to pull the clutch back up with my foot all the way. Any ideas on how to fix this or how I should go about solving this issue? I would prefer it if the clutch didn't get destroyed. And yes, I did check to make sure it wasn't my floor mat that was catching it.
skr
IF it's a cable actuated clutch, you may need to adjust the clutch cable. If it's a Hydraulic actuated clutch, you might have a leak or just need more fluid.

I don't think it's a pressure plate/clutch problem or a flywheel problem.
Bjorn
Shouldn't there be a spring that pulls the clutch back?
skr
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Sep 17 2011, 05:01 PM) *
Shouldn't there be a spring that pulls the clutch back?

If it's a hydraulic clutch, the master cylinder will push the pedal back.
DB9
It's hydraulic. I'll check the fluid tomorrow and see what the status is. Thanks for the tip.
shandyman5
Sounds like a slave is on it's way out.
DB9
Well the master cylinder fluid is low. I need to get some DOT3 and refill it and see if that works. Now I just need a working credit card...

How would I be able to tell if the slave was going out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.