Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheap Android phone?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Bjorn
My iPhone 3G has just about given up the ghost. The sleep button decided to only work intermittently, and I keep on leaving it on in my pocket.

I dont want to upgrade to an iPhone 4 because the 5 (or 4S) is due out in September.

So I want a cheap android phone to experience that platform while I wait for the next iPhone.

Any recommendations? I don't mind buying something second hand...
Ephdethulias
Tryout HTC Desire. I'm not sure if they're actually cheap in your place, but they are definitely cheaper than an iPhone 4. HTC Wildfire in the other hand is cheap, but from all the experiences I had/heard it's pretty laggy.
Razor
I can't possibly recommend anything Android except HTC. I'd second the Desire.
Cyclone
Might as well hold off and wait for the next iPhone. You might be disappointed if you get an Android phone then have to go back to iOS tongue.gif
shandyman5
Wait for the new iPhone whistle.gif
Bjorn
^yeah, looking at prices I'm shocked.

I thought that a Nexus One could be had for <$150 considering its age, but no such luck.

Maybe my button issue is software related. I'll try a few hard resets to see if it fixes the bug.
moe
Since Android gets reskinned by a variety of different manufacturers, there's a lack of consistency with the experience. If you want a proper Android experience, you'll probably have to shell out decent money unless you can score a good deal.

I've heard good things about the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S, Google Nexus One & Nexus S, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (they're one of our clients, and I've played around with one...thought it was pretty sweet). Dunno much about anything else.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Jul 13 2011, 02:04 AM) *
Since Android gets reskinned by a variety of different manufacturers, there's a lack of consistency with the experience. If you want a proper Android experience, you'll probably have to shell out decent money unless you can score a good deal.

I've heard good things about the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S, Google Nexus One & Nexus S, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (they're one of our clients, and I've played around with one...thought it was pretty sweet). Dunno much about anything else.

The new 4G Thunderbolt on Verizon is pretty cool to.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 13 2011, 10:56 AM) *
The new 4G Thunderbolt on Verizon is pretty cool to.

IF you live in an area with 4G. If not, and you leave 4G on, you can kiss your battery goodbye in 34 minutes. Dead serious.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 13 2011, 11:14 AM) *
IF you live in an area with 4G. If not, and you leave 4G on, you can kiss your battery goodbye in 34 minutes. Dead serious.

NYC/NJ/WPB FL

All dominate w/ 4G heart.gif.
Bjorn
What's your opinion on 4G?

Didn't they relax the standards, effectively making 3.5G networks 4G?
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 13 2011, 11:28 AM) *
What's your opinion on 4G?

Didn't they relax the standards, effectively making 3.5G networks 4G?

You mean HSPA+ on AT&T? Yeah, that's called FauxG.
DB9
Stay away from sony ericcson android phones. They never release updates and the skin on them is way too overdone. Definitely HTC or the samsung phones (if you don't mind sacrificing on build quality a little).

4G for me has been incredible. I'm on tmobile's network.
b0mb3r
you can pick up a droid x cheap... since droid x2 is out; and it actually comes with gingerbread. just a food for thought.
nvm droid x is CDMA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.