Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: McLaren MP4-12C vs Ferrari 458 Italia
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Diesel
What are your opinions of the 2 cars after last night's Top Gear? Do you prefer the Mac or the Ferrari? The Mac is faster and cheaper, but the Ferrari is more engaging and prettier.

Personally.. i prefer the McLaren if only they fixed the hideous front end.

Razor
I was really hoping someone was going to post this poll; if not, I would have.

Ferrari all the way. The MP4-12C is as boring as its name.
shandyman5
I didn't see the TG episode, but based off the fact that I have driven and ridden in a 458, I am going to have to go with it.
Bjorn
The McLaren leaves me cold.

As I said in the G+ discussion, where the F1 was the vision of Gordon Murray, the MP4-12C feels like it was designed by a committee.

Ferrari by default.
SwissWhiskey
Mac looks bland. You need to see and hear a 458 in person, its just....
moe
I prefer the Mac simply because of the halo of the F1. I prefer my cars with three pedals though, and I'd much rather have however much Porsche I can get for the money. If I'd had to stick with mid-engined rivals, I'd go with a Gallardo or a R8 V10 (non-GT).
clarkma5
I'll still take the McLaren for a few reasons: 1) really not sold on the 458's looks, 2) generally just not sold on Ferraris in general, and 3) I like lots of cars that are considered "boring" by nitpicking journalists. All this talk about precision and capability turns me on...the fact that it doesn't spit fire and burn rubber is not a turnoff to me in the slightest.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Jul 13 2011, 01:57 AM) *
I prefer the Mac simply because of the halo of the F1. I prefer my cars with three pedals though, and I'd much rather have however much Porsche I can get for the money. If I'd had to stick with mid-engined rivals, I'd go with a Gallardo or a R8 V10 (non-GT).

Agreed, with the Porsche statement for sure. I would definetely take a Lambo with three pedals over these to any day as well.

I personally cannot stand the R8, so I would never take one of those out of the above options.
skr
I don't think the TopGear review showed enough "downsides" about the car. Biased maybe?

Nonetheless, I think for me personally, it's a tough choice. I love conservatively styled super cars as well as the very passionate non-boring italian iterations.

The McLaren seems like a small testament of the early 90s F1 era where the world saw the most technologically advanced race cars ever made - packaged into a road car with a lot of modern innovations as well. It's a technical masterpiece, especially at the price. The MP4-12C does tickle the fancy of my techno-gadgetry side of car enthusiasm. Turbos are awesome, especially in a well tuned system. I'd love to own a super fast turbo car.

The Ferrari mixes flamboyance with clever use of technology and aerodynamics, without taking away the passion and the quirks that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up in excitement. The biggest seller for me is the high revving v8, and its noise. It's remarkable how they're able to get so much power out of a N/A engine of that size. I guess not surprising since they can engineer an engine that pushes over 700hp out of a 2.4L v8 in their F1 cars. While the car has a lot of clever technology integrated, you can still have lots of fun chucking the car sideways if you're into that sort of thing(which I am).

Both cars have their own elements that I'm passionate about, but I think the Ferrari has a very slight edge in my vote.
Ephdethulias
QUOTE(skr @ Jul 15 2011, 03:45 PM) *
I don't think the TopGear review showed enough "downsides" about the car. Biased maybe?

Nonetheless, I think for me personally, it's a tough choice. I love conservatively styled super cars as well as the very passionate non-boring italian iterations.

The McLaren seems like a small testament of the early 90s F1 era where the world saw the most technologically advanced race cars ever made - packaged into a road car with a lot of modern innovations as well. It's a technical masterpiece, especially at the price. The MP4-12C does tickle the fancy of my techno-gadgetry side of car enthusiasm. Turbos are awesome, especially in a well tuned system. I'd love to own a super fast turbo car.

The Ferrari mixes flamboyance with clever use of technology and aerodynamics, without taking away the passion and the quirks that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up in excitement. The biggest seller for me is the high revving v8, and its noise. It's remarkable how they're able to get so much power out of a N/A engine of that size. I guess not surprising since they can engineer an engine that pushes over 700hp out of a 2.4L v8 in their F1 cars. While the car has a lot of clever technology integrated, you can still have lots of fun chucking the car sideways if you're into that sort of thing(which I am).

Both cars have their own elements that I'm passionate about, but I think the Ferrari has a very slight edge in my vote.

Agreed. The MP4-12C has so much to offer, the Top Gear lap time alone is telling a lot of its performance.
midnightdorifto
I look at it like this: the Mac is the hot brunette and the Ferrari is the hot redhead. Both athletic, both brilliant, both stunningly gorgeous. But whereas the Mac prefers white zinfandel and discussions about Tolstoy, the 458 prefers Scotch and your backseat. Both turn me on, but I'll take the testarossa.
speedyK
After the first details were released, it seemed that the McLaren had the Ferrari beaten. I wanted one.

But first reported driving impressions implied that the McLaren did not excite as much as the Ferrari.

Later tests still seem to say the same thing. And the emotions that the Ferrari has evoked made me want one too.

But...

what seems exciting to a car-tester might soon be tedoius or even irritating to a car-owner. And what seems boring to a car-tester might be appreciated as quiet efficiency that allows rewarding and relaxed high-speed cross-country progress in actual daily use...

if you want a car like this for daily use. But some don't want a mid-engined high performance car to commute, they want it only as a week-end toy for fast drives from A-A and/or track days...

With that in mind, please can I have both: I'll use the McLaren during the week and the Ferrari for weekend drives – and I'll decide after a year which one I want to keep most? thumbs_up.gif biggrin.gif
moe
I read somewhere that McLaren's already revised the MP4. Someone from EVO's driven it, and apparently it addresses much of what the journalists though was wrong with it.
Bjorn
^I read about that in the latest edition of EVO.

They fixed the induction noise, tuned the suspension to improve steering feel and re-weighted the rocker mechanism for the shifter paddles.

EVO seemed more impressed with the fact that McLaren took their criticism so seriously than with the changes themselves, but said (IIRC) that it's a good start.
speedyK
OTOH, in the UK mag, Autocar, they bemoan the fact that McLaren have now changed the car to make it more Ferrari-like just because some journos didn't like the way it was. They preferred the more subtle original version...

like I say, you need to testdrive both yourself preferably for a month or two biggrin.gif
shandyman5
Unfortunately, you can't make everyone happy.... I do think they did the right thing though.
Aircooled
I would love both cars but the Ferrari just does it for me. I'm sure the next claran car will be epic.
RonaldConley
I haven't seen the Top Gear episode but i would like to prefer Mclaren i9nstead of ferrari. Mclaren is cheaper and having great power.

bathroom cabinets
Rolfever
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 12 2011, 05:43 PM) *
The McLaren leaves me cold.

As I said in the G+ discussion, where the F1 was the vision of Gordon Murray, the MP4-12C feels like it was designed by a committee.

Ferrari by default.

HA HA! at "designed by a committee", I couldn't have said it better myself; it's more true now that they have changed it according to comments from reporters...
The 458 is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cars that I have ever seen, that's the one for me. I feel like I'll still want one 20 years from now (if I don't have it already)
clarkma5
I've seen several 458s in person now, including one today...and I stand by what I'm about to say.

To my eyes, the 458 is ugly. Not iffy, not OK, not mediocre, it's properly and truly ugly. I do not understand why people think it's the next coming of Jesus in 4-wheel form (from an aesthetic standpoint, anyway).
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 19 2011, 09:00 PM) *
I've seen several 458s in person now, including one today...and I stand by what I'm about to say.

To my eyes, the 458 is ugly. Not iffy, not OK, not mediocre, it's properly and truly ugly. I do not understand why people think it's the next coming of Jesus in 4-wheel form (from an aesthetic standpoint, anyway).

It's just better than the McLaren, which is boring.
clarkma5
I like the way the McLaren looks. It's clean and modern, it looks like a McLaren translated to 2011 aesthetic, it seems to convey the ideals of the company...not saying it's the prettiest thing ever, but it's coherent and readily identifiable.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 20 2011, 03:43 AM) *
I like the way the McLaren looks. It's clean and modern, it looks like a McLaren translated to 2011 aesthetic, it seems to convey the ideals of the company...not saying it's the prettiest thing ever, but it's coherent and readily identifiable.

My biggest issue (aside from the fact that it's Top Gear test track score is the biggest sham in the show's history) is that it looks like the designers were like "WHAT DOES GENERIC SUPERCAR LOOK LIKE?!" and went from there. There's absolutely nothing about the design that's unique or new, whereas the Ferrari's got unique headlights, the adaptive aerodynamics, and an overall neat shape that you don't see everyday. I'm sure if I'd seen the MP4-12C before I knew what it was, I would have been like, "oh, another Ascari-esque supercar manufacturer with an unintuitive design." At this point, the only things saving it at all for me are the facts that it's a good car performance-wise, and that it's a McLaren.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.