Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New garage addition for my cars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2, 3
fiber optic
Bricks are up but it started raining something fierce and then the sun set. I'll get some pics tomorrow but it looks great.
b0mb3r
just wanted to say that I am jealous... what are the plans for the inside? lift? smile.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Oct 18 2011, 10:28 PM) *
just wanted to say that I am jealous... what are the plans for the inside? lift? smile.gif

Epoxy floor coating
Wiring and insulation
Lift
Cabinets and toolboxes
Stripper pole
Refrigerator
Welding table
shandyman5
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Oct 19 2011, 07:16 AM) *
Epoxy floor coating
Wiring and insulation
Lift
Cabinets and toolboxes

Stripper pole
Refrigerator
Welding table

MarioRock-small.gif thumbs_up.gif
fiber optic
I didn't think anybody was actually going to read the list. I'll probably save the money I would have spent on the stripper pole and buy tools or popsicles instead.
fiber optic

I had them style the bricks above the overhead door and windows to match my house.

It's tough to see but the junction box for the exterior light is roughly halfway between the 2 side doors near the top. I partially want to get something cool to go there and also kinda want to match the house. I found these and the same place has a ton of similar 'gas station' style that I really like. The ones on the house are kinda frilly and can be seen in the original post here.
Synesthesia
Ah the bricks look really nice fiber, good work. Looking forward to seeing it filled up.
goota
fucking excellent work. Can I hire you to build me a garage?
fiber optic
QUOTE(goota @ Oct 21 2011, 12:20 AM) *
fucking excellent work. Can I hire you to build me a garage?

Sorry man, the only thing I did is pull that junk PVC pipe out of the yard. The rest of it has been writing checks. blush.gif I only did the design which is kinda plain jane I think. I don't know enough about construction to do anything that would pass inspection. Plus I'm sure you've got all kinds of earthquake considerations for buildings out there.

I spoke to the electrician and he can run power out to it over a couple of days next week. I don't know what 2 days that will be until Monday. He's got someone else lined up ahead of me but they are hoping to finish construction early next week. Depending on if that happens or not will determine when mine gets done. He's also going to run a separate pipe for network and phone line. After the power is to the garage I'll hire my father-in-law (he'll work for pizza and beer) and we'll run everything inside.
Bjorn
Why worry about a phone line? Wouldn't a 2.4 ghz cordless cover that distance?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 22 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Why worry about a phone line? Wouldn't a 2.4 ghz cordless cover that distance?

Because it's really not that much effort or money to do it. I won't have to worry about signal reception or interference. Plus the radiant barrier I plan to install will essentially make a Faraday cage out of the structure.
fiber optic

The trencher to cut the hole looks like a giant chainsaw but for dirt instead of trees. It was self propelled but the steering was all manual. You can see dude working it.

I was hoping we'd find oil but instead we found water. The in-ground sprinkler system my wife wanted to keep operational so badly. 3 white pipes for 3 separate zones in the back yard. The grey one at the bottom of the hole will carry the power.
fiber optic
Friday was a muddy mess so they called off the work. I was out of town over the weekend. Yesterday I didn't have time to take any pictures because of the doorbell ringing.

100Ampere sub-panel. Right now it has 2 circuits, one for the light and one for a socket I didn't photograph.

Here's the light. I'll probably add 8-10 more that will be flush mounted. I'm also going to add some recessed can lights at the far end of the room as that is where I'll have my welding table/work area.

The larger one on the right has the power lines in it that runs from the panel in my house. The smaller one I'll use for the network and phone cables. As it turns out there's a network jack in the wall right here behind my computer. I don't know if it is connected to any cabling or not but that does save me some small amount of time/money.

fiber optic

The installers of the rollup door forgot to put the lock on. I had to call them twice to get them to come out and do it and of course it was a half-assed job. I was at home depot buying a ton of electrical stuff and bought new hardware to fix their screwups. I was embarassed for them so I didn't take any pictures of the ugly. The washers they used were small enough to fit between the slots on the sliding bar.

And they used regular hex head bolts on the exterior. The holes are square so you can use carriage bolts. This helps prevent any random idiot from unbolting it from the outside. Do you even know the whole purpose of the lock?

I ran a string through the smaller pipe to pull the network and phone cables through. I put my shop vac on this side and fed the kite string in from the crawlspace in the house. It's probably 30-40 feet of pipe and it was super easy. It was more trouble getting the shop vac from my other garage. My wife had pulled into the garage too far and it was trapped under the stairs.
fiber optic

I installed a bunch of receptacle boxes. This is only a fraction of them. I'm going to put my welding table against the wall on the right side of this picture.

And here's the lights my father-in-law helped me install. They were upgrading a school in Tennessee and were getting rid of these. I got them for less than the price of the bulbs. There's 8 total and 4 bulbs per fixture. I think I said it before, but I'll be putting recessed lights above the area where my welding table will go. Maybe some other places too but I haven't decided exactly where yet.
Synesthesia
Sweet lights. Really appreciating your roof construction, I just checked out a house for sale that has a nice big garage but limited overhead storage due to roof trusses.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Nov 20 2011, 08:03 AM) *
Sweet lights. Really appreciating your roof construction, I just checked out a house for sale that has a nice big garage but limited overhead storage due to roof trusses.

At first I wanted to do the scissor style down the entire length so I'd have no trouble when I get a lift. The truss supplier talked me into going with the more conventional ones at each end. The lift I like should still fit and I can store some things up there.

For a garage I don't see the downside of them. Unless you just want a flat ceiling. For a house it might start to feel like an old church.
fiber optic
And then there was rock and it was good.

I think I've got another furniture dolly to put the other speaker on but it is buried in the attached garage. I'll be listening mono for now. Eventually I'll work up some kind of a mount for the speaker so it won't be on the floor. The dollies will keep it mobile while I get stuff moved in and positioned.
Synesthesia
Nice, some big old speakers are essential. I like the trusses at the ends of your roof, they give you that nice large space in the middle that you can use for storage. The roof I'm looking at has no opening for storage and it limits the maximum ceiling height. Cheaper I guess. Fortunately it's 12 feet or so from the ground to the ceiling. biggrin.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Nov 22 2011, 12:36 PM) *
Nice, some big old speakers are essential. I like the trusses at the ends of your roof, they give you that nice large space in the middle that you can use for storage. The roof I'm looking at has no opening for storage and it limits the maximum ceiling height. Cheaper I guess. Fortunately it's 12 feet or so from the ground to the ceiling. biggrin.gif

These speakers are probably older than 90% of the members here. My dad said he bought them after he got his first job after finishing college. He has an identical amplifier, I got mine on ebay and it's really worn but still works.

I would have done 12 foot walls if I was going to use a flat ceiling. Although the garage would have been freakishly large and goofy looking at that point. Tall walls are a must if you are going to do a lift. Strong concrete too if you are eyeing a 2-post.
fiber optic

I've got one wall done.

And a detail pic of the last one in the chain.
MustangAficionado
SO epic
shandyman5
Really looking good man. Great progress.
fiber optic
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 28 2011, 08:20 AM) *
Really looking good man. Great progress.

Thanks, I probably could have finished the receptacle wiring had I not been traveling for Thanksgiving. No big deal, I got to see some pretty sweet cars at the shop my brother-in-law works at. They are going to have a car at the Detroit Autorama hoping to win the Ridler award. If it wins he'll be the youngest painter to have done so. Maybe "The Deep Blue Sea" as he calls it (my Grand Marq) will be worth more. As you know I couldn't take any pictures of it but I did take a couple of others.

Some huge rotors on a Nova. The wheels are 19" for reference. They cut the centers there on a big Haas CNC, the steering wheel has a similar dual spoke pattern.

Here he is with his big green toolbox. The picture doesn't accurately reflect how bright it really is.

I know, not related to my garage build but thought you guys might be interested anyway.
fiber optic
Just got off the phone ordering my custom cabinets.

fiber optic
Put power on my new receptacles and checked them with the tester.

fiber optic

The north wall. I think I've got 4 more left on the wall with the big garage door then I'm done with my 120V stuff. I only have five 240V to do including my big welding plug. Stripping and bending wires is getting old and making my hands hurt. Smashing my thumb with a hammer trying to drive the romex staples isn't helping.
fiber optic
I powered up the north wall that is in the previous post.

I got this circuit checker and it was really inexpensive, less than $5 I think. I plug it into every receptacle starting at the end of the chain and work back to the first. I had 2 that had open neutrals like seen in this pic. I pulled them back out and the connections looked like a little kid did them. I don't know what I was thinking but I'm going to say the colder weather affected my hands.
fiber optic

I got a big 1000' spool of Cat6 on ebay for not too much money. This one is solid copper and not that copper clad aluminum stuff. I'll need to run two separate cables. One for phone and one for network. I'm thinking I'll do the network first so I can put a wireless access point out there. That way I can stream Pandora on my ipod.
fiber optic

Sorry for the craptacular pic. However, I think it's possible to read that my 1394 connection is disabled and my wireless is not connected. If you look close it says Local Area Connection connected. I'm going to put a wireless access point out in the garage and it will be so bitchin' and winning.
fiber optic
My curiosity got the better of me and I found myself measuring the current draw for my garage.

This is the circuit my lights are on. I measured the draw for the stereo and my wireless access point but it was sad, 0.2A.

EDIT: My dad gave me an old router he had. I flashed it with DD-WRT firmware and I'm using it as a wireless access point. Stupid easy to do, less than 15 minutes of time invested in that venture.
fiber optic

All of these have complete circuits behind them except for the 50A (the one that's turned off). I'm almost tired of looking at wires and receptacles.
fiber optic

One of these things is not like the others, 2 if you're noticing the network cable on the left.

I'm done with receptacles for now. I may add some up in the ceiling for some retractable trouble lights. I haven't decided on that yet. I have a feeling my father-in-law is going to get me one for Christmas so I may not have much of a say in the matter.
fiber optic

Christmas gift from my father-in-law. It's funny because I bought him the same thing. Putting it together was like putting pants on an octopus. I shall henceforth refer to it as the procrastination station.

It is hard to get a feel for the scale of these boxes but they are easily taller than 7 feet (2.1 meters)

A bunch of other boxes. I moved my lawn mower down which will give me a lot more room when I'm kicking the VW.

A peek at the work surface. It was standing up vertically in the delivery trailer and just barely fit through it's door.
fiber optic

These things are HEAVY. I'd strongly consider aluminum cabinets if I were to do it again. There are wall mount ones in the boxes but I don't know if they have mounting hardware in there or if I'll need to buy some.
Aircooled
Any 3 phase juice going into the garage? How many 220V circuits?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jan 8 2012, 12:31 PM) *
Any 3 phase juice going into the garage? How many 220V circuits?

No, 3-phase is not available to a residence here.

Five 240V circuits (4 20A and 1 50A)
fiber optic

I was checking out Google Maps and they captured the brick delivery.

Sorry for the lack of 'good' updates, not that any of them have been previously. Now that I'm out of money they will be even slower and poorer in quality.
fiber optic
Installed my exterior light. I dropped it off the ladder so part of it cracked. I'm glad it's plastic and not hideously dented metal.

Matt_L
Great work! Looks very nice, I'm a bit jealous tongue.gif Here's a build from someone of the local RX7 Club, might give you some inspiration (yours is nicer though!)

Technolift GP-9

fiber optic
Do you enjoy your time and money? If so, follow my advice and don't have kids.

I got some insulation in. I could only afford to do about half of the back wall. Hopefully I can get the rest for that wall this month and the drywall. I just want to get the cabinets mounted so I can start putting stuff in them.

And now for the unrelated photos:

I blued in the numbers and letters on my wrenches. The metric ones are yellow.

Early father's day gift from my dad. Moves a lot of air but I like the sound of it too.

And another Volkswagen. It's my dad's. I think it's a '72 but might be a '71. Convertible, not a rad chopped top.
OHirtenfelder
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Jun 11 2012, 03:27 AM) *
I blued in the numbers and letters on my wrenches. The metric ones are yellow.

Haha. That's so cool. but oh so nerdy at the same time.

Garage is looking good though man!
fiber optic
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 11 2012, 07:24 AM) *
Haha. That's so cool. but oh so nerdy at the same time.

Garage is looking good though man!

Just making it easier to read the numbers. I hate not being able to tell which wrench I have. Although I should be better at being able to judge the size just looking at the jaws. Oh well, the paint pens were cheap enough.

Once I can start getting the drywall up it will start looking great I think.
fiber optic

Hey! Get down from there!

Sorry, it's not mine (the lift). My father-in-law got a 4-post a couple of weeks ago. It's awesome and I must own one.

EDIT: Yes, his garage looks exactly like mine on the inside. Same scissor trusses and same lights.
shandyman5
Four posts IMO are completely pointless except for heavy duty things or heavy vehicle storage.

If you want a lift to lift a car get a one post.

If you want a lift for repair work, get a two post.
fiber optic
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jun 18 2012, 01:44 PM) *
Four posts IMO are completely pointless except for heavy duty things or heavy vehicle storage.

If you want a lift to lift a car get a one post.

If you want a lift for repair work, get a two post.

Don't try to change my mind.
fiber optic

Finished the insulation on the north wall.
fiber optic
Still no sheet rock. Wife was pretty adamant about getting gravel down so....

Two tri-axle loads of gravel. It's around 5-feet (1.5m) tall, it comes up to my neck.

My father-in-law is supposed to bring his tractor down for me spread it with. It's awesome, I'll post a pic of it when it's here.
fiber optic

Several hours of spreading gravel later...

The tractor that slayed it.

We also put the fence back up. Had to dig a hole for the 6"x6" post and trim off the bottom 5 or so inches of the fence to accommodate the gravel. There will be a second round tomorrow. We had to take a break for my girl's birthday party.
Synesthesia
Dig the tractor!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.