Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new Black
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
SwissWhiskey
Flared wheel arches, lighter and the SLS engine. Nothing more needs to be said.

I want mine in Black or Imola Grey.
911xx
Holy WOW.
dukenukem
I likey.
Aircooled
I approve
Razor
And people said they couldn't make a modern car more attractive than the SLS.
clarkma5
I wouldn't call it more attractive than the SLS by a long shot, but it's a huge improvement over the non-black C coupes. Even the normal C63 AMG disappoints me to look at it.
fiber optic
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jul 6 2011, 07:19 PM) *
I wouldn't call it more attractive than the SLS by a long shot, but it's a huge improvement over the non-black C coupes. Even the normal C63 AMG disappoints me to look at it.

I think the C63 is pretty sharp. Admittedly I've never seen an actual metal one. I'm trying to convince my brother to get one but he's not biting. This thing looks like they started from the front and gave up before they got to the cabin. That profile shot is particularly heinous.
Bjorn
Front reminds me of a CTS-V.

I'm really over Mercedes though. The current C is a nice car, but the last MB I really found desirable was the old 190E.
moe
My God that is awesome. drool3.gif
RallyCat909
Yes.
Lancer007
Badass
Brianwang
That's a cool one! Especially while looking at the front.
Asher
BORKED

Yes.
Razor
Ludicrously bad-ass.
Altostratus
yeah that made me poop a bit. AMG v8's sound evil
350Z
Had a look at this today and it looks great in person, one downside.

Standard C-Class Coupe 63 AMG OTR From 57,165.00

Black edition Estimated cost 120,000
shandyman5
Still hate M-B, but the engine sounds decent.
Altostratus
how can you hate Mercedes-Benz?
the 2011/12 line up is generally amazing to drive and be in from a luxury brand point of view.
Razor
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Jul 27 2011, 09:25 AM) *
the 2011/12 line up is generally amazing to drive and be in from a luxury brand point of view.

Agreed. They've had their low points but overall, they're a great company.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Jul 27 2011, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 27 2011, 09:36 AM) *
Agreed. They've had their low points but overall, they're a great company.

Reason #1: They have a lack of a third pedal across their entire lineup.... That is pathetic, for a car brand that has so many models.

Reason #2: I have ridden, driven and seen AMG cars on the track. They really are rather unimpressive, and in response to their subpar handling, they throw obnoxious amount of power at a car to make up for it. Kind of like having a small dick, so you become jacked or drive a 600 hp car to make up for it.

Reason #3: Most of their models really aren't great drives, and I am not a fan of where there styling is going. I truly believe BMW and Audi are much better of the big German three.
350Z
None of those points are important to a luxury brand.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 27 2011, 03:10 PM) *
Reason #2: I have ridden, driven and seen AMG cars on the track. They really are rather unimpressive, and in response to their subpar handling, they throw obnoxious amount of power at a car to make up for it. Kind of like having a small dick, so you become jacked or drive a 600 hp car to make up for it.

Until you have driven the only cars they have thus far made for track use (the Blacks, including this, and the SLR Stirling Moss), you can't make that assumption safely.
Asher
This thread is so racist.
shandyman5
QUOTE(350Z @ Jul 27 2011, 03:22 PM) *
None of those points are important to a luxury brand.

rolleyes.gif Obviously you would counter with this, I mean you are an M-B employee after all. Also, they are important because enthusiasts who buy the AMG cars are turned off be the lack of a third pedal. Your post may apply to the housewives who drive SLK's and cheerleaders who drive C-Classes but for those who actually want a full performance experience, they want the manual option. Not only that but they want a good driving/handling experience, and a car that doesn't feel like a flaccid, numb turd.

QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 27 2011, 03:38 PM) *
Until you have driven the only cars they have thus far made for track use (the Blacks, including this, and the SLR Stirling Moss), you can't make that assumption safely.

It isn't an assumption, am I right or wrong, AMG is the M-B equivalent, to BMW's M, Audi's RS line... Correct?
shandyman5
QUOTE(Asher @ Jul 27 2011, 04:02 PM) *
This thread is so racist.

Who doesn't love a little racism once in a while LOL. MarioRock-small.gif
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 27 2011, 04:11 PM) *
rolleyes.gif Obviously you would counter with this, I mean you are an M-B employee after all. Also, they are important because enthusiasts who buy the AMG cars are turned off be the lack of a third pedal. Your post may apply to the housewives who drive SLK's and cheerleaders who drive C-Classes but for those who actually want a full performance experience, they want the manual option. Not only that but they want a good driving/handling experience, and a car that doesn't feel like a flaccid, numb turd.

AMG gets purchased not by people looking for a track car... it's purchased by people looking for a fast luxury car. To the majority of car buyers, handling doesn't matter in a daily driver, and Mercedes therefore puts emphasis on comfort over performance unlike their rivals. I'm not saying doing that is either right or wrong, it just IS. It's a different part of the market. To me, the big three Germans looks like this in terms of performance and comfort (in that order): BMW, Audi, Mercedes.

If you want a track car, you buy a Bimmer. If you want a luxury cruiser, you buy a Merc, and if you want something in between, you buy an Audi. I've considered it that way since the dawn of my car enthusiasm.

And that's when we come to this:

QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 27 2011, 04:11 PM) *
It isn't an assumption, am I right or wrong, AMG is the M-B equivalent, to BMW's M, Audi's RS line... Correct?

Because AMG is softer in terms of performance than M or RS, and a few people wanted more hardcore Mercs, the Black Series was born.

The CLK63 Black is far more hardcore than any of the M or RS offerings. Same goes for the SL63 Black. It stomps the R8, let alone the RS4 and the M3.

Mercedes isn't less performance oriented as a company, they're just more diverse in their offerings.

AMG < RS + M < Black Series
Altostratus
After driving 4 AMG products, 3 M products and 1 RS (RS4) today i can say that the 4 AMG's were miles superior to drive.
redls1bird
I was going to chime in, but no need, you guys seem to have covered all the bases. Good job.

I guess i'll go drink now...
Bjorn
Some MBs in canada have manual transmissions.

I'm not a fan though. I don't hate them, but I don't feel anything toward them. All the AMGs I see are driven by old bald white guys or 20-something girls.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 27 2011, 05:00 PM) *
AMG gets purchased not by people looking for a track car... it's purchased by people looking for a fast luxury car. To the majority of car buyers, handling doesn't matter in a daily driver, and Mercedes therefore puts emphasis on comfort over performance unlike their rivals. I'm not saying doing that is either right or wrong, it just IS. It's a different part of the market. To me, the big three Germans looks like this in terms of performance and comfort (in that order): BMW, Audi, Mercedes.

If you want a track car, you buy a Bimmer. If you want a luxury cruiser, you buy a Merc, and if you want something in between, you buy an Audi. I've considered it that way since the dawn of my car enthusiasm.

And that's when we come to this:

Because AMG is softer in terms of performance than M or RS, and a few people wanted more hardcore Mercs, the Black Series was born.

The CLK63 Black is far more hardcore than any of the M or RS offerings. Same goes for the SL63 Black. It stomps the R8, let alone the RS4 and the M3.

Mercedes isn't less performance oriented as a company, they're just more diverse in their offerings.

AMG < RS + M < Black Series

Razor,

Nice counterargument/point of view. I see what your saying and it is nice to have that every once in a while. I guess I always thought the M division, RS, and AMG division were competitors, in terms of sport performance... I can certainlt see what your saying.

QUOTE(Altostratus @ Jul 27 2011, 07:26 PM) *
After driving 4 AMG products, 3 M products and 1 RS (RS4) today i can say that the 4 AMG's were miles superior to drive.

Define drive......?

QUOTE(redls1bird @ Jul 27 2011, 10:11 PM) *
I was going to chime in, but no need, you guys seem to have covered all the bases. Good job.

I guess i'll go drink now...

Please chime in.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 27 2011, 11:39 PM) *
Some MBs in canada have manual transmissions.

I'm not a fan though. I don't hate them, but I don't feel anything toward them. All the AMGs I see are driven by old bald white guys or 20-something girls.

Unfortunately, only one manual MB is sold in the US. It is a C300 Sport.
350Z
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 27 2011, 09:11 PM) *

It's not really fair to assume that I unconditionally love MB just because I work for them, after all I'm more than happy to point out that this particular MB isn't really worth double the asking price of the original vehicle. As for the 'enthusiasts' who are put off AMG because of a lack of a manual then they should consider the fact that AMG's have pretty much never been avaliable with one and expecting AMG's ways to change now is optimistic to say the least. Having driven countless Mercedes, Bmw's and Audi's I can tell you for a long distance journey I would take the mercedes option everytime. AMG don't make track cars they make super fast luxury cars, except for the Black editions obviously.
moe
I'd always thought of AMGs as almost there, but intentionally not as hardcore as equivalent BMWs. The CLK-Black was the first AMG that properly blew the doors of its competition from M-division (I'm not even going talk about Quattro). EVO was left in disbelief that the CLK Black actually justified its huge price premium over the M3 during their COTY article (two years ago if I'm correct). Every AMG since then has been at least the measure of its M-division competition, it's simply a question of character, and where your priorities lie. I'm no track junkie, and thus find myself being attracted to the AMGs more.

I won't discuss Audi's Quattro division. I just don't they're quite there yet.
Altostratus
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 27 2011, 09:07 PM) *
Define drive.....

Drive /drīv/
Verb: Operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle: "he got into his car and drove
shandyman5
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Jul 28 2011, 11:32 AM) *
Drive /drīv/
Verb: Operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle: "he got into his car and drove

Thanks, smartass. Raspberry.gif

Pulling it out of the carwash and moving it fifteen feet forward to where the customer is waiting, is hardly a drive.

Driving it somewhere between balls to the walls and bumper to bumper traffic, for 20+ miles is much more of a drive, then the above.
Altostratus
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 28 2011, 08:37 AM) *
Thanks, smartass. Raspberry.gif

Pulling it out of the carwash and moving it fifteen feet forward to where the customer is waiting, is hardly a drive.

Driving it somewhere between balls to the walls and bumper to bumper traffic, for 20+ miles is much more of a drive, then the above.

with a luxury car all i care about is steering feel and visibility, and how quickly you can figure out the buttons in 30 seconds. the rest is boring, driving in Toronto is fucking horrible and you couldn't pay me to get out on the streets in anything worth more than $500, which in my case is my bike, which is faster than any car in the city, much better on gas aswell.
Von Z
That is one sexy machine.
911xx
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Jul 28 2011, 01:10 PM) *
with a luxury car all i care about is steering feel and visibility, and how quickly you can figure out the buttons in 30 seconds. the rest is boring, driving in Toronto is fucking horrible and you couldn't pay me to get out on the streets in anything worth more than $500, which in my case is my bike, which is faster than any car in the city, much better on gas aswell.

Nowadays 500$ bikes are the equivalent of the pieces of crap they sell at Canadian Tire.
shandyman5
QUOTE(911xx @ Aug 1 2011, 11:12 AM) *
Nowadays 500$ bikes are the equivalent of the pieces of crap they sell at Canadian Tire.

They sell bikes at Canadian Tire? whistle.gif
Bjorn
I agree . . . $500 is an entry level price for an OK bike . . . not looking forward to buying bikes for my kids.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 1 2011, 09:50 PM) *
I agree . . . $500 is an entry level price for an OK bike . . . not looking forward to buying bikes for my kids.

Don't get them bikes... make them run. I ran all my childhood instead of biking, and by senior year of high school I was rippin' out 4:50 miles without any formal mile-event training. Then they can join XC teams and get recruited and go to great schools and the rest will be history.

And all because you didn't buy them some hipster shit.
Bjorn
Canada's a bit different than the US. Sport scholarships are few and far between and even the best schools are cheap (tuition at McGill, considered the best university in Canada, is only about $5,000 a year).

Also, if they have bikes I don't have to drive them everywhere.
Altostratus
i should have said my bikes RESALE value is $500. its an 86' Kuwahara with race grade lightweight cro-moly frame, former canadian olympic team training bike, from what i was told. weights 23lbs assembled, with no carbon or Ti anywhere
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.