Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW finally lives up to the M Badge again!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Razor

Just kidding. 5-Series GT M. Stick a fork in yourself.

Discuss.

via Autoblog
caster
I was semi-excited then I opened the thread. Still not really feeling the new M5, this isn't helping either. I still question the people that buy the 5 GT. It reminds me of those 2002-2003 C230 hatchback Mercedes made. If it didn't have a Mercedes badge, would anyone have bought it?
dukenukem
hahahahahahahaha

shandyman5
I don't think this is an M version of the 5GT, rather a M package type thing for it. They are thinking of eliminating the 5GT from the USA lineup, do to slow sales so I doubt this will make it at all let alone in the US.
moe
For some reason the photo you posted doesn't look half bad. It's an M-Sport package, not a GT M, I read it somewhere. Also @Caster, have you heard the new M5...it sounds so sexy. I mean I'd rather have a 1M, but yeah I'm not going to hate on the M5 until I read a review where they say they've taken the edge off of it.
Altostratus
Ive driven more 2011 760il's than 5GT's if thats any testament to its rareness.
But its a generally awful place to be, the X5M is much better
moe
I got railed on a fun road by an X5 M recently. I overtook him on a long sweeping curve, and he just floored it. The thing's fast and very composed, but I can't imagine it being very fun.
Rolfever
Is it just me or does it look fat in the picture?
travishu
I dont like the BMW 5,just a feeling,no reason
UserDrew
QUOTE(travishu @ Aug 25 2011, 08:15 PM) *

You'd be ridiculed ceaselessly if you did.
Razor
QUOTE(travishu @ Aug 25 2011, 11:15 PM) *

We'd probably just kill you, actually.
SwissWhiskey
That thing needs to die.

Need more of this...
travishu
you should kill me , i made a bigg mistake for GT
dukenukem
I would sell someone else's kidney for a new M5. Almost as sexy as the E39 one. Almost.
moe
This looks promising. Already has me salivating over the prospect of the next 1-series M. New 1-series still looks goofy as hell to me though.

moe

They say this is a teaser for an X6 M Diesel. Uhh okay. Thanks BMW, we wanted you to get rid of M-badged SUVs, not expand the line-up. Not sure about the diesel part. Does a diesel really need an M-badge?
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 14 2011, 09:05 AM) *
I would sell someone else's kidney for a new M5. Almost as sexy as the E39 one. Almost.

dukenukem
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Dec 5 2011, 09:07 PM) *

Have fun being wrong.
Bjorn
^I dunno, the reviews I have read say it's a great car, but can't overcome its weight gain.

The comparative simplicity, and stealth of the E39 M5 is what I find most appealing. The current car feels different somehow. As if the X6/X5M philosophy has been applied to a 5 series.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Dec 5 2011, 10:09 PM) *
^I dunno, the reviews I have read say it's a great car, but can't overcome its weight gain.

The comparative simplicity, and stealth of the E39 M5 is what I find most appealing. The current car feels different somehow. As if the X6/X5M philosophy has been applied to a 5 series.

Who said the new M5 is prettier than the E39? All I said was its almost as pretty. Definitely better looking than the E60 model. also, the last car was 4000-4300lbs. Definitely not an Else.
Bjorn
^Sorry, I thought "sexy" was all encompassing, not just in terms of looks.

In terms of looks, I agree, better than an E60, not as nice as the E39.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Dec 6 2011, 08:09 AM) *

Yeah, I for one can't understand why the reviews are so positive, when everyone seems to be saying it can't overcome its weight. I'll have an E39 over the new one any day.

Also for the record, having seen the new one in the flesh, it isn't as good-looking as the E60 either. It seems ordinary, boring, and in some ways too blingy. I loved the butch stance of the E60, which is missing in the new car. It also lacks the simplicity and stealthiness of the E39.

The new car is just really one big fail for me. I'd buy an XFR or CTS-V instead.
dukenukem
I would rather have generic pretty than butch and ugly. Also moe used to wear socks with sandals. His opinion cannot be considered valid. tongue.gif
shandyman5
The new car has gotten fantastic reviews because it is just that. A car can still be a great car yet have trouble overcoming its porkiness....

It also looks phenomenal in my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.