Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elinchrom
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
daniele fontanin
Here I am guys!
After a long long time thinking about lights, I have understand that buy AB is a little bit difficoult and expencive for a poor italian small guy like me :-(

But I have also understand that Elinchrom makes some great stuff too...maybe better than AB...or similar anyway.

Ok: now I need ALL your precious help, as always from 14-February 09 (when I joined this great forum).

Well: here are my needs so you all guys can give me indications about what to buy.

1 - 99% cars
2 - Photoshooting during the day, from morning to evening (I mean: I'm not a photographer so, when I'm in a work-off day I have to use all my free time)
3 - No cables: I mean: I need a radio controller to use on my camera to transmit and on lights to recive...but I think that Elinchrom don't need a reciver!
4 - 2, maybe 3 lights...I think that 3 is the most complete set, but I'm sure that I can start with 2.

I have find this product: Kit D-Lite IT 4 OUTDOOR: it seems to be complete:
INNOVATRONIX XTSE
2 X D-Lite 4 IT / 400ws with SKYPORT reciver
2 Softbox 65x65cm
1 sincro cable 5 mt
2 Stativi Elinchrom 85 - 235 Cm with "Quick Lock" system
1 Transmitter Skyport ECO
+ other elements like bags and so on.

Do you think that it could be a good choice?
If not, can you give me other indications?

I'm afraid about 2 thing:
1 - is 400ws: is it in your opinion ok?
2 - SKYPORT reciver: is it a good tranmitter/reciver? Have you got some info about it?

Is someone Kit D-Lite IT 4 OUTDOOR equipped?

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance dudes!
Daniele
trackdemon
I'd be inclined to think 400ws wouldn't be enough and you'd end up sacrificing DoF. If you open up or bump ISO to get more power from the lights then you'll also start to get sync problems on a bright day, especially if you're trying to underexpose ambient. Generally speaking I understand you get a nicer control of light (and shorter flash duration, although its not really important for static car shots) with more powerful lights running below full power... so I'd try to find the $$$ for 800ws at least. With 3 you could easily defeat very strong ambient, and blend exposures in post.
daniele fontanin
that's true...maybe 400ws is not enough...but I know that so many guys with gorgeous photography normally use ab800 that means 350ws...isn't it?

I was also thinking about a similblack filter to reduce stops (-5-10 stops): with this element I will be able to use Kit D-Lite IT 4 OUTDOOR I think...isn't it true in your opinion?
joker69
Hello Daniele

I own a Elinchrom Ranger Speed RX (1200ws) and an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Set (400ws).

I can say that the Ranger Quadra set is good to shoot people (also in hard light). I used it for all photos i took under the sun of california. It worked really well. But i think it's isn't powerfull enough to use it for a car shooting. For that i own the RX Speed set. Lemme know if you need some photos i tock with both sets.

But what i can definitely say bout elinchrom. It's really wel built, stable and good quality. Oh and the service is top notch. I told the guys from the store where i bought both sets, that the light color isn't correctly and they changed the bulbs and made a perfect service on the lamps.

I think for an european photographer with a "normal" budget is elinchrom the way to go. Shure there are better ones on the market, but they'll cost 2-3 times more
joker69
oh and bout the filters.. you mean ND filters? No that's not true. then you need more flash power, but you can shoot nearly wide open
Dejan Sokolovski
I have the Elinchrom Quadra RX pack with 2 heads @ work but got them at home now lol, I havn't really used them on car but I would imagine they work great, just models so far...

It's a very light package, it doesn't whey much, only 3KG's for the whole box that comes with all those, 2 x batteries, 2 x lamps and the cords and the transmitter that you put on the hotshoe on camera,
the battery thing has receiver already built in. It works really good and pops every time unlike my other shitty Vivitar 285HV with the Cactus V2 triggers or what they are called. I hate them! sad.gif

But this isnt very cheap unfortunately, it costed like 2200 euro or something, I didn't pay it so I'm lucky...

Oh this is not a VERY strong light, maybe it doesn't even work awesome for cars? It is 400watt in total, so 200watt per lamp, but I think it would be powerful enough for cars too, at least a lot more powerful than the Vivitars..
The really plus side is that it is very portable!!!

Alienbees are PROBABLY more for a better price? But they arent avaible here in Europe... but on the other hand then u have to buy Pocketwizzards and those stuff...
Dejan Sokolovski
Aaah joker69 has both the Ranger RX and the little brother "Quadra" so his opinion on this is great to hear, listen to him! :=)

Maybe the 400watts arent enough for cars but perfect for models, but to ME it seems that these 2 are way more powerful than 3 Vivitar 285HV's
and at least work every time lol...
joker69
hey dejan

i would never correct you, but i found that the Qaudras don't work well with the cars. But it was under bright sun. In a darker area they would work well.

If you have the budget for Ranger Speeds then this is the way to go. But as Dejan said. Qaudra is a leightweight in comparison with the Ranger Speed

Andres
daniele fontanin
QUOTE(joker69 @ Jun 1 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Hello Daniele

I own a Elinchrom Ranger Speed RX (1200ws) and an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Set (400ws).

I can say that the Ranger Quadra set is good to shoot people (also in hard light). I used it for all photos i took under the sun of california. It worked really well. But i think it's isn't powerfull enough to use it for a car shooting. For that i own the RX Speed set. Lemme know if you need some photos i tock with both sets.

But what i can definitely say bout elinchrom. It's really wel built, stable and good quality. Oh and the service is top notch. I told the guys from the store where i bought both sets, that the light color isn't correctly and they changed the bulbs and made a perfect service on the lamps.

I think for an european photographer with a "normal" budget is elinchrom the way to go. Shure there are better ones on the market, but they'll cost 2-3 times more

QUOTE(joker69 @ Jun 1 2011, 07:50 PM) *
oh and bout the filters.. you mean ND filters? No that's not true. then you need more flash power, but you can shoot nearly wide open

Ok: Let's start from the beginning.
Andres, thank you so much for your indications.
I have to say that my budget is "small"...I mean: around 1000 euro (don't say it to my girfriend Francesca or I'm a deadman!!!!).
The idea of the Kit D-Lite IT 4 OUTDOOR was built around the fact that 99% of the guys are AB800 equipped. Pics are awsome with AB (ok...also with vivitars if you are able to use them as Dejan or maccan...but I'm not able :-D : rechargable batteries do not works well...and I can't spend all my money in new batteries). Last summer I was with Anthony in Vegas and he used AB800 for some pics of the blue hotroad: at the sunshine they worked sooooo good!
For sure I will not use lights at midday: I will try to photoshoot at early morning or form 5 pm in order to have a great ambient light and in order to use flashes in a constructive way...
These are the reasons why I thought about Kit D-Lite IT 4 OUTDOOR.

But what you are writing Andreas was my first "fear". Is it enough?
It seems that it will be not enough unfortunatly
:-(

And yes: Andreas: if you can post some pics with different sets it could be great!!!

QUOTE(Dejan Sokolovski @ Jun 1 2011, 07:51 PM) *
It works really good and pops every time unlike my other shitty Vivitar 285HV with the Cactus V2 triggers or what they are called. I hate them! sad.gif

QUOTE(Dejan Sokolovski @ Jun 1 2011, 07:54 PM) *
but to ME it seems that these 2 are way more powerful than 3 Vivitar 285HV's
and at least work every time lol...

Dejan: it is the same for me. But, unfortunatly, I'm not in the position to spend 1000 euro or more for a non definitive product... head.gif head.gif head.gif head.gif

Last: if I think about past photosessions:
1 - never shoot with sunshine (maybe because I don't have lights to do it)
2 - always problems with vivitars: I'm not a fast photographer (I was impressed about Anthony in photoshooting last summer...it was like: "ok -clic-, push the car...ok -clic-, change angle...ok -clic- and so on...Really impressive!) and vivitars are not a "faster" element in photoshooting...

But now I'm confused again...400ws are maybe not enough!
:-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Now: the last and most important element: I'm not a professional photographer. 99,9% I will not become a professional photographer and I will continue work in foundry. Or something like this. So I have to think about lights also in this way. IFor sure: If I will win 60.000.000 euro I will buy the sun, but at the moment I'm not able to do it: so I have to be sure about all...I understand that it is not an easy situation, and it is the reason why I'm asking indications to you guys!

Help me!!!!!!
:-D
Dejan Sokolovski
I read about Alienbees just now and Alienbees the AB800 (320watt) or AB1600 (640watt) version isn't a huge price difference, I know Webb uses the 1600 version but Will Stern may used the 800 version hmm, however
I think that the 800 version with 3 of them would work without any problems at all for car shoots! If not just get the 1600 version, it wasnt a big difference, $289 compared to $350 or something like that, and you're secured!

And the Vagabond II battery thing only costed $299...

So say you buy like 2 x 1600 version Alienbees and 1x 800 version Alienbee + the battery pack it will be like, $1300 which is like 1/3 of what the "same" Elinchrom setup would cost if I'm not wrong?!

...But there seems to be a problem, Alienbees doens't sell to Europe and I hate that, otherwise I would buy it directly too... sad.gif

They sell triggers and receivers I see too for not a huge price, dunno how good they are but maybe someone can give an input on that!
daniele fontanin
Anthony, there is a way to order in Europe: this is the site...
http://paulcbuff.eu.com/cms/

what is the problem?

2 AB1600
1 AB800
1 minivagabond
1 transmitter
3 recivers
Total: 1 657.20
Tax Total: 276.20
that means 1,875.66 EUR .................

If you buy AB in USA, for the same equipment you have to pay 1570 DOLLARS that means 1,085.90 EUR...

incredible...INCREDIBLE! the problem is shipping: to recive them in Italy it is impossible...our customs is a shit! 70% they loose packages, we have to pay near 30% tax of the total amount...+ a shipping from usa that is not so "sure" for products like AB...Total price with taxes is near 1500 EUR and 30% possibility to recive the package at home...
W L'ITALIA!
ahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

BTW: ELINCHROM DLITE-IT 4: 400watt.
AB800 means 320 watt
so ELINCHROM DLITE-IT 4 are powerfull...and cheaper...

mmmmmmmm
daniele fontanin
ok guys...I would like to buy some new lights.
I understand from your words that Elinchrom D-LITE-IT 4 are maybe not what I need.
Probably AB1600 are better...and I have a good friend that lives in Indiana from last year...I am thinking to buy 3 AB1600 or 2AB1600 and an AB800...But I would like to have your indication about what to buy. I mean: can you tell me if the links below are correct or have I to change some elements?
I will appreciate so much your help, really!

3X http://www.alienbees.com/b1600.html
1X http://www.alienbees.com/vmini.html (is it correct?????? I mean: I need power, I think that vagabond mini is ok...isn't it?)
1X http://www.alienbees.com/cst.html
3X recivers????????

Light stands?????? I remember that Anthony wrote that stands in the site of AB are not so good...what do you think about it?
Anthony, William, Webb...if you are reading it guys...please give some indications!!! I know that you are using AB so, for sure, your indication will be perfect!
smile.gif

Thank you all in advance!!!
Dan
Bakke
I've had two AB1600 heads with a Vagabond II for over a year but I just replaced them for the quadra.
The reasons are that they are too clumsy.. I always to to fit everything inside my backpack because I rarely use a suppor vehicle.. The vagabond literally killed my back.
It also takes too long to set up - I often have very limited amount of time where I have to work as fast as possible. With the quadra it is just to plug in the cord and it's a go! And I also LOVE that you can change the power from the transmitter.
These reasons made me only use the ABs when I had a lot of time.. Then they worked superb =)

For me the power is not a big issue.. I always avoid sunshine (not including epic light wub.gif ) because I hate it..

FYI - lately I've only beeb use one strobe. I don't think one quadra battery is optimal for more then one light.

Bakke heart.gif Quadra
IamPhil
I do all my work with my one Elinchrom Quadra head and battery pack, I'm limited to composites but as long as I have a tripod it's not a problem. I spend a lot of time shooting at full power and then blend all the layers using the lighten style in photoshop. Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns regarding the Quadras. I'm going to post some of my work that I do for a local dealership today if you want to check that out later.
DonJuanMair
im upgrading my strobes soon, really soon. I want to get the elinchroms really soon, I need 4 though for what i shoot, i have 2 vagabonds and one has been in repair since january. i just got it back. Overall my whole experience with alien bees and their products are that they are really entry level. Ive had so many problems with all their products apart from their strobes. But with that being said i need faster recycling times. I was using the B1600 the other day for a group shot and it was at 1/2 power i had to wait for it to recycle way too long. Its happened way too many times now, when shooting cars not really much need to recycle faster. But ppl yeah.

Go all out Dan! get Profoto! tongue.gif
daniele fontanin
profoto...ok...someone interested in a lotus elise?
smile.gif

Next days I will try new lights...I decided to try with some differents strobes (cheap way as usual :-) ) and power package...i will post some impressions asap!

fourcross
I got the Ranger RX and love it, even in harsh sunlight you still got enough power to arrange a picture and not have the strobes only a few inches from your subject. They are a little pricey, but I had no hurry and got the first on used. The result was that I "needed" another one that I bought new. The wireless Elinchrom system worked flawless so far.

hope that helps a little
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.