Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting reflections
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
mcdronkz
Getting rid of reflections on flat surfaces is pretty easy, but getting rid on reflections on a complex shape gives me a lot of headaches. I just don't know how to remove those reflections while still being able to tell that a car has high gloss paint. When I'm working with gradients and such, the paint is going to look flat all the time.

Let's say I would use this photo:

How would you remove the reflections on the fender and hood, while still retaining the high gloss finish? What would be your plan of attack?

I'm trying to find some techniques to master this skill. smile.gif
Seethegrim
I just wouldn't. At least not on that image. But on another application (removing rig reflections, etc) you work with closely controlled gradients and lots of them. Boosting the contrast can sometimes give you a 'sharper' gloss finish, but to be honest, I always try work with existing image data instead of trying to recreate it from scratch.
Dejan Sokolovski
That would be a nightmare, I wouldn't master it at least... no chance on earth! :/
But if someone in here can give us a tip or two, that would be cool.
Nike SB'd
You're on the right track. I'd start by removing any elements that are strongly keyed differently (i.e. a black branch over a grey fender). Once you have everything closer in luminosity (but probably really blotch looking) begin with gradients. Make sure to sample actual colors from the car and draw the gradients in many low-opacity layers. Never use more than two colors on one layer. Another thing you'll need to do is add noise and a slight blur to the layer to make it simulate camera data instead of looking unnaturally smooth w/ banding. As far as keeping it from looking "flat" you need to pay very very close attention to where the original highlights and shadows are. For example if the falloff is on a diagonal you need to match that diagonal in both luminosity and area. It's really tedious but it can be done and with some practice you'll get quick at it. I do this all the time for sections I want to remove hot spots or reflections from and have gotten quite good at it. This photo I don't think is really worth the effort but it's good practice and a skill that will be beneficial later down the line.
iLLuZioNz
^ Nike id pay good money for a tut style write up! smile.gif msg me
bmwaddicted49
if you already did a writeup i would gladly pay for a second copy! tongue.gif
Racersky
Same like what the two pplz above me said. Would love to have a copy of the writeup =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.