Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixteenth time is the charm.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
hexagone
This would be car #16 I've owned since I started posting in the User's Rides.

And it is the best damn one yet.

Just drove it from New Orleans to Chicago overnight.

details to come.

MustangAficionado
Do you live at the DMV?
Altostratus
ugly.
really ugly with blue interior accents.
redls1bird
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ May 15 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Do you live at the DMV?

Nah, he probably has a window with his name on it instead of the attendants.
hexagone
Synesthesia
Sweet, what engine?
dukenukem
I would buy the E30 if I had a garage.
MustangAficionado
Oh, silver. Thank god, i thought it was going to be either of the awful blues.
clarkma5
So, bets on what #17 will be then!
Altostratus
the BBS Rs-GT

the first car made entirely from wheels.
b0mb3r
hex do you still have the e46?
hexagone
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ May 16 2011, 04:20 AM) *
hex do you still have the e46?

Yup. But it has rear end damage that was slightly repaired, but needs further work.

And the silver coupe is an S52.
bankE46
Awesome! Can't wait to see more pics/vids of it in action. smile.gif
Aircooled
Hmm, interesting that there is no oil temp gauge at teh bottom of the tach.
green73ta
What were you doing in NO? I work in NO.
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ May 16 2011, 08:40 PM) *
Hmm, interesting that there is no oil temp gauge at teh bottom of the tach.

See gauges below smile.gif

QUOTE(green73ta @ May 16 2011, 09:33 PM) *
What were you doing in NO? I work in NO.

Picked the car up from there. Spent like 3 hours near Tulane Uni
Bjorn
It's a beautiful car, but that interior is tragic.
Altostratus
have you been in any bmw in the past 20 years? they are all plastic wastelands of fucking german blandness
fiber optic
So you have 3 cars now? I need to work on my cars:licensed drivers in household ratio.
Bjorn
QUOTE(Altostratus @ May 18 2011, 07:38 AM) *
have you been in any bmw in the past 20 years? they are all plastic wastelands of fucking german blandness

I spent a lot of time in an E36 325ci. I thought the interior was very nice. Well built, simple, driver focused. Never been in any other BMW except for an early 1.8L Z3 that made a Hyundai interior look up-market.
green73ta
QUOTE(hexagone @ May 17 2011, 08:04 PM) *
Picked the car up from there. Spent like 3 hours near Tulane Uni

You weren't far from me. I work about a block & a half from Lee Circle where the statue of General Lee stands in the roundabout at St. charles Ave. & Howard. He's facing north so he can keep an eye on the Yankees.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Altostratus @ May 18 2011, 08:38 AM) *

Sounds like you may be the one who hasn't been in BMW in the past 20 years.... I think with exceptions your point is way overkill.
Mr b00st
Hex how about a run-down of all the cars you've had? That would be interesting.
Aircooled
Lets see, I think he had two GTis, and e21, e30, 2 e36s, and e46 (which is your favorite of the family?), 2 'roccos, and ugly ass mkiii, an accord (think it was his moms, and therefore may not count) and now an M coupe. 12/16, meh. Maybe you should keep those other unknown whore cars in your closet haha.
Razor
QUOTE(Aircooled @ May 18 2011, 10:58 PM) *
Maybe you should keep those other unknown whore cars in your closet haha.

lol
hexagone
Picked up Organic ///M's coupe from New Orleans this weekend and drove it back to Chicago. It started out very well when my friend and I had too much to drink the night before and woke up at 7am for our 6am flight... luckily getting onto the 9:30am flight was without charge and a huge relief.

Fast forward to getting into New Orleans, where I had a buddy from r3vlimited offer to pick me up- so he came by, but I forgot to mention I was with a friend and had a suitcase full of tools (including a spare alternator and water pump... yeah, you never know). He showed up in a mariner blue Miata. Aw naw.

A 15 minute ride from the airport, the three of us, in the miata, as hilarious could be was awesome. Got our paperwork done and bid our farewells, after which the three of us got dinner and gawked at lots of hot Tulane University girls walk past us at the outdoors table we were at (James, you should've come, it was better than Lasagna!)

Got on our way at 8:30 or so, after sleeping 3 hours the night before and about an hour on the plane, with 960 miles to do overnight. Man, what a journey. We were having a great time up until about 4am, where we just crashed and had to sleep (upright) in the car at a truckstop. Never again.

And now I'm home, in my coupe, after so much waiting. I'll admit, silver wasn't at the top of my choices- but the cleanliness of this one and good history made it worth it. Not a single dent or scratch anywhere.

But now about my personal observations, having put 1100 miles on the car in 3 days, and having been able to touch and smell and feel everything, after an e36 m3, a 330 and an e30....

It's not refined. It's loud (is there always so much noise from the trunk while driving?), it's cramped, and the interior- as much as I love the colors and layout, is surprisingly in parts (a la e36). I laughed when I saw the flappy OBD cover and the hard, loose, plastic center console/cup holder leaves a lot to be desired.

The radio that one of the PO's installed is also, by far the worst sounding, tinny and hollow setup I've ever had to endure. For some reason, he pulled the tweeters and the sub, and there's a 2 channel amp in place of the sub. I really need to tear all this stuff out and get some decent sound in there.

And finally- (yes, I've searched), a clunking noise from the rear. While the guibo and suspension are all relatively new, every single time I press in the clutch while driving and the car is in neutral for that brief moment before going into a higher gear, there is a clunk from the rear right side that is bugging me out. Highly doubt it's subframe related as the car has 64k miles, and apparently the RTAB's had been done too. Strut mount culprit here?

But most importantly- despite all my complaints, it's the best car I've owned of the 16 I went through in the last 3 years (crazy, I know). It's immediately different than the e36 M3, the sitting position and outlook are wonderfully low to the ground, and sitting in it in traffic makes you feel like you're in a much more expensive and exotic car at times. There is no shortage of power, and it's the most direct and communicative thing I've driven to date. I love it.

My friend sweating at the airport:

Miata threesome:

(it's filthy from the road)

fitting, no?

Aircooled
Cool story. Now we want to know what your whore cars were.
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ May 18 2011, 08:57 PM) *
Cool story. Now we want to know what your whore cars were.

Only because of the hilarious avatar.

1) 1988 GTI
2) 1992 GTI
3) 1993 Camry
4) 1987 Scirocco
5) 1987 GLI
6) 1994 Accord
7) 1978 Scirocco
8) 1997 Jetta
9) 2002 Volvo S60
10) e36 M3 sedan
11) e36 M3 coupe
12) 330i
13) 318is
14) 320i
15) M coupe

Fuck, I'm missing one of them. So many whores.
moe
Didn't you have an Acura of some sort? I know there was something Acura-related going on in your story of hookers & blow.
Altostratus
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ May 18 2011, 02:50 PM) *
Sounds like you may be the one who hasn't been in BMW in the past 20 years.... I think with exceptions your point is way overkill.

overkill is my middle name.

Mr b00st
I never would have seen you as the Volvo S60 type... still that's an interesting collection of cars! The clown shoe is seriously badass, congrats, I know you've wanted one of these for a long time.
hexagone
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ May 19 2011, 05:43 PM) *
I never would have seen you as the Volvo S60 type... still that's an interesting collection of cars! The clown shoe is seriously badass, congrats, I know you've wanted one of these for a long time.

Bought the S60 for cheap from a girl in class that was filthy, but she was moving overseas. Flipped that mofo.
hexagone

Altostratus
nice wheels, fun car, not the best colour.
thumbs_up.gif
shandyman5
Wow this actually looks clean.

Also, Hex I need to talk to you about trying to source a set of BBS wheels, i figured if anyone could find them you could. PM me if you need to but I really want these wheels and I will pay for the most part whatever I need to, to get them.
hexagone
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 3 2011, 09:57 AM) *
Wow this actually looks clean.

Also, Hex I need to talk to you about trying to source a set of BBS wheels, i figured if anyone could find them you could. PM me if you need to but I really want these wheels and I will pay for the most part whatever I need to, to get them.

e-mail me at aprses at gmail dot com thumbs_up.gif
shandyman5
Thanks Hex, I will shoot you an email this afternoon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.