Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
simsim
Hey guys

thinking of updating my gear a little - currently rocking:
Nikon D70
Nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5
Nikon 50 1.8
Nikon SB-600

anyway, technology has improved so i think its time for an upgrade..I really want to go FF but can't seem to make it work @ my price point without major sacrifices

looking at a few options whether it be body,lens(s), or lights:

-Canon 5D (classic - can't afford the MKII)
Pros:
FF
major upgrade in IQ

Cons:
All new glass
All new flash
Canon's system/ergonomics is not as good IMO

-Nikon d7000
Pros:
can keep my 18-70
can keep my flash
major upgrade in IQ

Cons:
not FF

-Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI
Pros:
great lens
provides reach i don't have
retains value
excellent IQ

Cons:
still have a D70

-AB 800/vagabond/stands/etc
Pros:
want to get into lighting
highly recommended kit
good value for price

Cons:
still have same glass/body, expensive!

I know its kind of comparing apples to oranges, but what would you guys vote for?
Mr.D
Judging by the thread that you posted before. I would not spend much money on upgrades at this moment unless it something that you really want.
Everything you see on my homepage was shot with a Canon 450D (a couple are 350D).
I bought my 5DMK2 after 4 years of practicing with the an entry level camera.
Buy some used speedlights and practice with them before buying expensive studio lights.
simsim
QUOTE(Mr.D @ May 13 2011, 03:09 PM) *
Judging by the thread that you posted before. I would not spend much money on upgrades at this moment unless it something that you really want.
Everything you see on my homepage was shot with a Canon 450D (a couple are 350D).
I bought my 5DMK2 after 4 years of practicing with the an entry level camera.
Buy some used speedlights and practice with them before buying expensive studio lights.

I've had my D70 since 2007 (i think) now..

I finally got my career going, and have some cash to burn - I know it is ultimately the photographer, not the tools..but they certainly help.

I think you're right about speedlights - I want to get some cheap triggers and 1 or 2 more and practice with them..but new glass/body would be nice too..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.