Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater core time yay!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Aircooled
I love getting car parts! Got some gauges to make it worth pulling the dash.

Before the mayhem

Taking out the airbag

Ran out of daylight. This is my progress after a couple hours worth of work.

Bentley manual was worth every penny. More pics to come tomorrow.
b0mb3r
please tell me you pulled the battery before disconnecting your airbags...
Aircooled
I did disconnect it when I removed the airbag, you can see the clock is out on the airbag pic.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Aircooled @ May 12 2011, 08:38 PM) *
I did disconnect it when I removed the airbag, you can see the clock is out on the airbag pic.

ah I did not notice :-)
redls1bird
Hopefully you didnt cycle the key or it will need a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light. Heater core is not a common failure on these, is your leaking or clogged? Also, VW wisdom says stick with G12 coolant from vw.
b0mb3r
i have a vagcom, if you get an annoying airbag light.
Aircooled
QUOTE(redls1bird @ May 13 2011, 07:00 PM) *
Hopefully you didnt cycle the key or it will need a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light. Heater core is not a common failure on these, is your leaking or clogged? Also, VW wisdom says stick with G12 coolant from vw.

Already drove around 20 miles without the airbag in and the interior torn up lol. Felt like a race car driver driving a stripped out car.

QUOTE(b0mb3r @ May 13 2011, 07:24 PM) *
i have a vagcom, if you get an annoying airbag light.

Where in PA are you?

Bjorn
^that's what you need to do to replace a heater corte in a Jetta?
redls1bird
Thats how it is in a lot of cars. I believe that there is still some work to be done though.

b0mb3r
oh my location is wrong, i am actually in northern de. work in media PA.
Aircooled
There it is, all the way in the back. Luckily the HVAC system in VWs that have manual climate control (like mine) splits in the middle. Vehicles with climatronic do not and the A/C lines need to be evacuated and disconnected to remove the entire unit to get at the core.

There's that dirty leaking whore.

Although not obvious, I have all the power, lighting, and ground wires routed for the gauges. All I need to do yet are the two sender wires.

Luckily the weather is holding out for me and my project thumbs_up.gif

Aircooled
Pulled the aircleaner, and battery to open up the square plastic conduit the sits underneath it to run my sender wires.

Connectors connected. Dielectric grease added for corrosion protection. Every single connector from the sender to the back of the gauges has been soldered as well as shrank' tubed.

Wire ran

Getting the wire into the cabin was tricky at first. My friend was doing a gauge install the previous week on his WRX and had places all over his firewall to run wires. The only place to get them through is the stock pass through. Luckily there is a a rubber insert for the one unused spot. I slit a small hole and fed the wires through.

Tidied up. Put some grease around it to help keep the elements out.

Here is where I got the power for my gauges from, terminal 75 X. Its the only terminal that is switched. I got two of this inline fuse deals, one for the voltmeter by itself and one for the two oil gauges. I put a 10A fuse in both.

All the fed in sender wire. There are two 16 ga wires held together with electrical tape. It looks half decent.

Used a little jumper I had to fish it up.

Interior.

I got the dash back in as well as the hvac, radio cage and a few other things, maybe 50% back in and I tried to start the car, it just clicked. I jumped it from my parents car but it wouldnt fire. I saw a fuse laying on the ground (I remember seeing something fall when I put the dash back in). Here I was trying to start the car with the injector fuse out. I put it in and it fires up instantly. It was running real rough, like missfire rough. I took it for a drive and had them scan the CEL at autozone and I have missfire codes. Also the oil temp and pressure gauges worked for a very short period of time, the pressure was just pegged and the oil temp sat at like 100 F. I drove my car and it started to run better. I figured out that the temp and press senders weren't getting grounded correctly for whatever reason so I took them out and put a eye connector under each sender and ran the wire to the ground. They have been working flawlessly now. The missfire is mostly gone now. I think the ecu was messed up from being without power for so long. Now that the gauges are working correctly I finished up putting the rest of the dash etc in except for the center console, I want to repaint the black area around the shifter, its kinda scrated up and looks bad. I also got some black trim paint and painted the plastic cover thats at the bottom of the windshield outside, it looks great now, it was getting kinda faded. I'll take some more pics tomorrow.
Aircooled
Shit is so cash, I love it. HVAC cover and center console are going to be out for another day or so while I paint them. I wanted to do the cup holder while it was out but I forgot and I'm not tearing it out now. I'll just rub the coating off.

b0mb3r
that looks great, VDO gauges match the VW interior pretty well thumbs_up.gif
Aircooled
What are the odds I could get that vag com. I need to reset this airbag light.
b0mb3r
Are you in reading? that's about 60mi from where I live in Delaware; taking the back roads i.e. 10, 896.
Aircooled
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ May 19 2011, 09:53 AM) *
Are you in reading? that's about 60mi from where I live in Delaware; taking the back roads i.e. 10, 896.

Meet you sometime this week? Any day but wednesday.
green73ta
If anyone near New Orleans needs VAG COM I have it too.
redls1bird
Where did everyone get their vag com from? I see there are several versions, what do I need to work with mkiv golf airbags?
moe
Why the hell does everyone want VAG-CUM
Razor
^ Because it lets you make your VW's central computer your bitch. I turned off my running lights and enabled Summer mode (keyfob control for the windows) with mine. It basically lets you edit your car's hidden "preference file."
moe
^ Sounds like I need a PSA-COM.
Cyclone
Before selling my VW, I should have got a VAG-COM. Maybe there was a hidden option for "Do not break all the fucking time".
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Cyclone @ May 24 2011, 03:42 PM) *
Before selling my VW, I should have got a VAG-COM. Maybe there was a hidden option for "Do not break all the fucking time".

there is, you just gotta go into long coding to get to it ;-)
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ May 24 2011, 05:12 AM) *
Why the hell does everyone want VAG-CUM

LMFAO!
moe
Found a Peugeot version. It's called Lexia 3...you think it's worth it guys?
b0mb3r
QUOTE(moe @ May 26 2011, 02:03 AM) *
Found a Peugeot version. It's called Lexia 3...you think it's worth it guys?

depends on the cost and functionality... I used my vag-com several times already because of a CEL (surprise surprise); and if you add up how much it costs to get those fixed at the dealer it already paid for itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.