Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mac OS mail help
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Bjorn
My mom just inherited my dad's old unibody MacBook Pro.

She uses hotmail, where my dad used the Mac's internal mail program.

When ever my mom clicks an email address in hotmail it opens up the mail program, and tries to send it from there. She wants it to just open up a new hotmail message screen.

Everything says I should be able to click "opening links" in the preferences area, but that option doesn't seem to be there.

I have tried to find where to change this, but haven't been sucessful yet. I'm sure it's something simple . . . if anyone knows the answer to this question I would be in you debt.

Razor

The option is at the top there ("Default Email Reader"), and you can indeed select Safari, but I have no idea what that actually does. In this day and age, it just doesn't make sense to use web-based mail, but if it's absolutely necessary, I guess you can use it.

I doubt it would open the Hotmail site and create a new message; that doesn't seem plausible or even possible.

EDIT: I was correct. Upon testing Safari as the "Default Email Reader," not only did it still open a mailto: link in Mail, it actually reset the option to Mail.

Just bite the bullet and set up the account in Mail. If you need help with that, I'll be happy to walk you through every last step. Just know what you currently want to do is simply not possible.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 19 2011, 10:46 AM) *
I doubt it would open the Hotmail site and create a new message; that doesn't seem plausible or even possible.

I think she is logged into the hotmail website and clicking on the email links. If I do this in gmail it starts a new blank message to the clicked address. If I do it on a website with a mailto: style link the default mail reader I set in Windows will open with a new blank message.

Maybe it's a hotmail setting?
Bjorn
Hum. Annoying.

I don't get why it's so frustratingly hard to get it to open a new message in Hotmail. I don't have this problem on my MBP, I don't think . . .
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Apr 19 2011, 02:48 PM) *
I don't get why it's so frustratingly hard to get it to open a new message in Hotmail. I don't have this problem on my MBP, I don't think . . .

Because Hotmail is a web app, and no operating system these days has built-in APIs for dealing with web apps without plugins in that manner.

You mean to tell me that whenever you click a mailto: link on your personal computer, it opens a Safari window with a new Hotmail message ready to be typed into? Shit, video or it doesn't happen.

And just a little PSA for the day, HTML5 is trying to close the gap between desktop apps and web apps, so every time you use Flash for anything, you might as well be lighting a baby possum on fire and then pissing on it to put the flames out. That's how god-awful Flash is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.