Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kimi Raikkonen in NASCAR?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
skr
Taken from http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90331

Former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen will make a surprising move to NASCAR this year, the Finn joining the series with a new team.

According to the Turun Sanomat newspaper, Raikkonen - the 2007 world champion - will be racing with the new ICE1 Racing team in the Truck series before moving on to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series.

He is expected to join the championship from this summer, although no dates are yet confirmed.

Raikkonen will be joining forces with Foster Gillett, who will be a major partner of the team, having worked with Richard Petty Motorsport in NASCAR last year.

Foster's family owned the Montreal Canadiens' NHL franchise and are also former co-owners of the Liverpool football club.

"I'm really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR," Raikkonen was quoted as saying by Turun Sanomat.

"I have been following it for a long time. I know, it's a very tough and open, top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me."

According to the newspaper, the negotiations about which car the ICE1 Racing team will run are about to be completed.

Raikkonen will continue to compete in the World Rally Championship this year, where he has a deal for eight events.

I'm a KR fan and all, but I'm not so sure I like this.. lol
Bjorn
It is awfully close to April 1.

Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 30 2011, 06:49 PM) *

Hah, good observation.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 30 2011, 06:49 PM) *

LOL! I feel like this is legit though.
skr
Seems like if you have any sort of solid F1 career on your resume, it's basically a free ticket to NASCAR.
`nT
What makes NASCAR so enticing to these drivers though? I remember back some time, Marcus Ambrose (a successful V8 driver) went through the same path. Is it the $$$?
moe
Montoya, Villeneuve, Danica Patrick, Franchitti, Pastrana...NASCAR seems to attract a lot of top talent from other forms of racing. A lot of the time I think it's because the driver's are looking for a new challenge, other times I think it's because of the money. Sometimes (in the case of Villeneuve & Piquet Jr.) it's because there aren't any other options for the drivers.
clarkma5
QUOTE(`nT @ Mar 31 2011, 12:36 AM) *
What makes NASCAR so enticing to these drivers though? I remember back some time, Marcus Ambrose (a successful V8 driver) went through the same path. Is it the $$$?

I think it's a combination of $$$, the racing actually being fun to do (if not to watch...), and the fact that it's an escape from the relentless european motorsport media.
moe
It's offical.
tonery2
Forum very interesting thumbs_up.gif
RallyCat909
Though I dont give much of a fuck about NASCAR, I got respect for a guy that at least tried rallying from NASCAR. Its throwback to the days of drivers like Roger Clark, a driver that enjoys the challenge of something new.
fasder3
good post thumbs_up.gif
shandyman5
QUOTE(fasder3 @ Apr 20 2011, 08:34 AM) *
good post thumbs_up.gif

Your insight has been noted and appreciated by the OP... Good day to you sir.
misnblu
I was listening to the F1 weekly podcast in which they were describing how Nascar is embracing Kimi completely.
They said he'd be good for the sport of Nascar and not only that it's Kimi actually going to race amongst the best of the Nascar lot but unlike Montoya, Villeneuve, Danica Patrick, Franchitti, and Pastrana have never won a F1 championship but Kimi has.
This is where the interest lies with Nascar embracing Kimi so well.

It's also said that Kimi loves the American lifestyle and pretty much mimics the lifestyle with his own lifestyle which is pretty American from what most that know him say.
Interesting turn of events though for Kimi to go to Nascar though.
I'm not sure why he left the WRC for Nascar but he's an accomplished driver that like most that come from other venues in the motorsport industry, will have a hard time falling into the ranks of the top 10 of Nascars best.

clarkma5
He hasn't left the WRC, he's sticking to his 2011 WRC schedule and just doing some NASCAR events in between. But he might be gearing up for a complete career change...time will tell.
moe
QUOTE(misnblu @ Apr 23 2011, 01:35 AM) *
but unlike Montoya, Villeneuve, Danica Patrick, Franchitti, and Pastrana have never won a F1 championship but Kimi has.

Uhh Villeneuve has won an F1 championship, and Franchitti pretty much owns Indycar.
misnblu
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 23 2011, 01:07 AM) *
Uhh Villeneuve has won an F1 championship, and Franchitti pretty much owns Indycar.

My misinterpretation of the podcast, sorry. head.gif

I'm still curious to see how all this turns out with Nascar and Kimi.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.