Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saab Revival thread
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Mr b00st
Alright, so I know I said I was getting rid of this Saab after I got my Honda... I lied. Not gonna do it. Before the tranny grenaded (at 18psi, derp derp) I had a total of just under 6 grand in the car including purchase price and repairs/upgrades etc. Selling it off with a blown tranny would mean losing 5,000-5,500 total, which I just couldn't stomach. Getting a tranny replaced by a mechanic was about a 1400 dollar affair so even if I sold the car for what i bought it for (3,000, and doubtful I'd get that!) I'd still be pretty bad off. Plus, these things get under your skin.

So I've decided I'm going to bring it back to life my damn self (after it sat at the mechanic's shop for 6 months with them doing nothing). This is going to be interesting, because uhh... I've never pulled an engine out of a car before. But I figure now's a good time to learn. So I'll be sharing pictures and swear words along the way as I get this, to quote PBB, "80's turbo shitbox" running and stomping L98's from a roll again!

HERE GOES.

Here it is getting towed back home. Still broken.

left it on a trickle charger for like 3 days so it'd crank over. It still sort of has a first (I think?) gear and reverse, and I needed to move it around to get tarps and shit under it.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine is doing the same thing to his nearly identical SPG - got his with mad gear noise in 4th and 5th for really cheap, so he drove it home and immediatedly started tearing it down. Where I came in he was most of the way done with engine removal. I gained a lot of valuable lessons while helping him pull the motor, like "remove the fan shroud unless you want the front motor mount to crush it, and then spend months looking for one since they've been out of production since 1994."

this is alan, and his '88 SPG's B202 motor, which is identical to mine. Ok, it's got 10k less miles and was clearly a southern car cause there's no rust.

the cluster fuck that is a B202 up close. Goooooooooooood.

anyhow, two days later i get my car in place and start taking things apart. Biggest issue so far is the space I'm working in, which is gravel and slanted downhill and slightly to the right, making life fun.

Hood off - despite the crazy sliding-tilting action these things are only held on by 2 bolts

I don't know how well you can see it in the picture, but this is the gearbox oil. There was a layer of nasty metallic shit floating in it (om nom bearings!) and it smelled like a crispy pidgeon. Drained crank case, gearbox, coolant (through rad & freeze plug under exh. manifold)

elbow from the turbo to the downpipe off. This was a bitch, pretty sure it hasn't been off once in it's 23 years here. pounded a straight screwdriver in between turbo and elbow to get it started, two pry bars to get it the rest of the way off the studs without binding.

haha, the R. Bentley service manual says "insert special saab tool blah blah in between the frame and the control arm to take stress off the inner CV to aide in removal." By special saab tool, you mean some chunks of wood? Good.
Mr b00st
going on...

starting to remove junk. The first stuff to go was the upper rad hose, the inlet pipe from the filter to the turbo, the charge pipe from the turbo to the inlet on the intercooler, the IC itself, and the charge pipe from the IC outlet to the TB. I also took off the diverter valve and the hose that runs back to the TB after this picture. With this junk off you can actually see the bell housing - or whatever you wanna call it on this weird engine/tranny set up.

Trunk full of junk so far! The hatch is handy for parts storage, for sure.

right now i've disconnected a few more things underneath the car, and am trying to find a clever way to get the tapered pin out of the shift rod (holds it together between the shifter and the 'box, stuck like a bitch). Next will be the PS pump bracket, pass. side axle (which has a torn CV boot on the outter, going to rebuild that and clean the 1/2" thick layer of grease off the inside of the wheel), front motor mount, etc. Did lots of other little stuff - like disconnecting wires and vac lines and labelling both ends to minimize WTF moments on reassembly.

Plans for the car - eh. I had a DD now so it doesn't have to be mild. The turbo has 158k on it and likes to smoke on cold starts so likely the CHRA gasket is shit and it takes forever to boost, so i'm thinking of a rebuilt with a T04 compressor housing. dump the 80 pounds of useless A/C from the front end, put the 25 pound battery in the back, blah blah MORE POWER blah blah

but first I'm making a list of things to fix while the engine's out. Stuff like the leaking PS rack - would be impossible to fix with the engine in, a 5 minute job with out out. Also F&R main seals, oil filter housing gasket, freeze plug gasket, probably distributor gasket, ALL of the little rubber turbo couplings, need a new downpipe... long list.

Advice? Criticism? Laughter?

-James
fiber optic
I commend your use of wood in this venture.

Given my current set of tools I require wood from time to time for all kinds of things. Putting the motor in the VW to act as a spacer between the jack and motor itself, finessing sheetmetal with a hammer indirectly with wood, fixturing for some oddball welding, and stress relief victim.

How close is this work area to the music?

EDIT: More pics of dually from the background in first pic?
Mr b00st
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Mar 26 2011, 06:58 PM) *
I commend your use of wood in this venture.

Given my current set of tools I require wood from time to time for all kinds of things. Putting the motor in the VW to act as a spacer between the jack and motor itself, finessing sheetmetal with a hammer indirectly with wood, fixturing for some oddball welding, and stress relief victim.

How close is this work area to the music?

EDIT: More pics of dually from the background in first pic?

the music? I bring my laptop + USB speakers down to the car when I wrench on it.

pic of dad's dually:

08 Ram 3500 quad cab, long bed, 6.7 Cummins/68RFE Auto, DRW 4x4. He uses it mostly to haul his camper around (which you can see in the pic.) Stock except for a Banks intake as no one makes parts for the 6.7L. Really nice truck.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 26 2011, 06:25 PM) *
the music? I bring my laptop + USB speakers down to the car when I wrench on it.

pic of dad's dually:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1655/19...45363827347.jpg

08 Ram 3500 quad cab, long bed, 6.7 Cummins/68RFE Auto, DRW 4x4. He uses it mostly to haul his camper around (which you can see in the pic.) Stock except for a Banks intake as no one makes parts for the 6.7L. Really nice truck.

I don't know anybody that wrenches on their own car that does so in silence.

My dad's got an '07 F-350, 6.0L Powerstroke, crew cab, long bed, FX4 off-road, dually, King Ranch. He has a 26' trailer and a car carrier that he tows. We did one of the Banks package upgrades on it which consisted of an intake, turbo back exhaust, and a programmer. It's like a 4-ton bullet now.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Mar 26 2011, 08:18 PM) *
I don't know anybody that wrenches on their own car that does so in silence.

My dad's got an '07 F-350, 6.0L Powerstroke, crew cab, long bed, FX4 off-road, dually, King Ranch. He has a 26' trailer and a car carrier that he tows. We did one of the Banks package upgrades on it which consisted of an intake, turbo back exhaust, and a programmer. It's like a 4-ton bullet now.

I wish you could get a decent tune for the 6.7 cummins. AFAIK it's the DPF that prevents you from doing one. More boost and fuel = higher EGT's = dead DPF basically. You can chip one with a test pipe on it but he doesn't want to take the DPF off. there's a Banks exhaust (5" with no muffler) and a huge intercooler available for the 6.7, but neither seem to have much of a point on stock software sad.gif

Banks makes REALLY nice stuff!

and yeah music is crucial for working on a car.
redls1bird
Hmm, I feel the need to comment on dad's truck thread. My dad has a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, quad cab, long bed, V10, manual trans.
Bjorn
Fuck, Saabs are weird. Longitudinal engine layout, FWD. Business end of the engine pointing at the front.

And, is there normally a cover on the clutch, or is it always exposed? Does it slip when you go through a puddle?

Fun project though. I am jealous . . . my "lack-of-a-garage-and-money" woes have been well documented in previous threads.
goota
good stuff, I would recommend ALOT of plastic baggies for bolts and ALOT of pictures, or else you will be a sad panda when you have a bunch of extra bolts when its all put back together.
fiber optic
QUOTE(goota @ Mar 27 2011, 11:49 AM) *
good stuff, I would recommend ALOT of plastic baggies for bolts and ALOT of pictures, or else you will be a sad panda when you have a bunch of extra bolts when its all put back together.

If you take it apart and put it back together enough times, eventually you'll have enough spare parts to just build a 2nd motor. It's like a bonus.
shandyman5
QUOTE(goota @ Mar 27 2011, 12:49 PM) *

This!
Aircooled

Best of luck with the motor pull
goota
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Mar 27 2011, 10:21 AM) *
If you take it apart and put it back together enough times, eventually you'll have enough spare parts to just build a 2nd motor. It's like a bonus.

haha, and if it still runs fine. You can basically assume they over-engineered it.
b0mb3r
best of luck on the project!
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 27 2011, 08:49 AM) *
Fuck, Saabs are weird. Longitudinal engine layout, FWD. Business end of the engine pointing at the front.

And, is there normally a cover on the clutch, or is it always exposed? Does it slip when you go through a puddle?

Fun project though. I am jealous . . . my "lack-of-a-garage-and-money" woes have been well documented in previous threads.

haha yeah the clutch/pressure plate cover is off in that pic. It's just a big plastic bulge that covers it all basically.

thanks everyone! Hopefully it gets warmer here so I can get back to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.