Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This isthedumbest thing I have heard of in a while
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Lancer007
http://m.espnf1.com/s/3394/116?teamName=to...p;storyNo=42110

Basically eccelstone wants sprinklers on the sides of the track to make it artificially rain to "make the races more exciting and increase overtaking". What a choad. Between this and the medal system I'm pretty sure he is going senile.
bankE46
Is he trying to appeal to the NASCAR crowd by increasing the number of crashes or what?
Razor
Things like this are why I tend to feel elitist about Le Mans over F1. Just sayin'.
dukenukem
I think having people with shoot at drivers with bee bee guns would make it more interesting.
clarkma5
heh, the commentators have been proponents of that idea for years. Honestly I don't think he was really pushing that idea that much, he was more using it as an example of "out of the box" thinking to spice up the racing.

I do think his medals system is retarded though...
porsche944
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 1 2011, 04:14 PM) *
I think having people with shoot at drivers with bee bee guns would make it more interesting.

Im thinking mario kart powerups
Razor
I got one: rig all the cars with bombs. The last driver to finish explodes, or all the cars explode if no one finishes within a set time limit, but here's the catch: there are triggers on some parts of the course for the bombs too. Are you going to risk being last or risk blowing yourself up? Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.
Bjorn
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Mar 1 2011, 03:39 PM) *
Im thinking mario kart powerups

Just thinking outside the box here, but you could do something where if a driver uses a non-typical part of the track, they get 50 extra bhp for 30 seconds or something. Might encourage different lines around circuits.
clarkma5
The problem is in the track designs. You need high speed areas that are wide going into corners that encourage multiple lines to make it hard to defend and give the guy behind a chance. Defending your position into a corner should compromise your speed coming out of it. Sam Michael was really right when he said "chicanes are the death of overtaking". Look at Abu Dhabi...that huge back straight, and it goes into a chicane. It's so hard to overtake there despite one of the biggest braking zones in F1, because there's only one line through and the person following is inevitably going to be slower through there. (For the record, I hate the Yas Marina Circuit. It's really just a bad track. Looks neat, shitty for racing. What's the point?)

If you use low-speed chicanes at the START of long straights, you can get them close to each other in a low aero situation and then have the draft down the long straight into the next corner, which should probably be a hairpin or some sort of decreasing radius slower-speed corner.

And then there's the argument that maybe we should go back to iron brakes and increase the braking distances again...
moe
I think this is an awesome idea. Or maybe they could just design better circuits...
clarkma5
Pirelli backs the artificial wet races idea: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89706

I can't imagine it really working though...if you do it during bright sunshine, I suspect you're going to get rapid evaporation in most places as well as obnoxious glare off the spray. It's really a waste of water at the end of the day.
clarkma5
How do you guys feel about random grids? They're trying it in half of an Indy double header in Texas in June http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89709

Qualifying for the first race will take place as normal, but afterwards a draw will be held to decide the race-two starting order.

IndyCar competition president Brian Barnhart said: "We want to keep the format of this event as exciting as possible for our fans as we revive this open-wheel tradition.

"With the starting field for the second race set by random draw, you could see the winner from the first race starting from the back of the field, creating quite a bit of drama.

"Also, if a car suffers damage and fails to finish the first race, there will be an opportunity for the driver to rejoin in the second race as we will have extra engines available for use in their back-up chassis.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 3 2011, 01:34 AM) *
It's really a waste of water at the end of the day.

This is why the idea won't fly. Especially not when F1's supposed to be getting greener.

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 3 2011, 09:44 AM) *
How do you guys feel about random grids? They're trying it in half of an Indy double header in Texas in June http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89709

Ferrari would never let this happen, though I do find the idea interesting.
misnblu
Well with the advent of smaller engines and probably slower speeds for F1, this may all change.

Things like this are why I tend to feel elitist about Le Mans over F1. Just sayin'.

Excellent racing with ALMS with different platforms to make for an entertaining event for all car and speed enthusiasts. I still love the F1 racing and although things seem to be such a mess at the moment for F1, it's been some fascinating racing the last 3 years I've been following the series.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.