Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toyota, you have redeemed yourself. FT86 @ Geneva
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Diesel

UserDrew
Still only a concept!
moe
They'll redeem themselves when I read the first review of the production car from EVO, saying it's brilliant. That DOES look promising though.
b0mb3r
my first thought... that thing will be a bitch to detail!
Asher
Profile is kinda odd but the rest it hottness. It'll be interesting to see how different the Sub version is.
Razor
Toyota gets ZERO credibility until they live up to this thing's hype. That means:

- If it has Scion branding in the U.S., it's automatically a catastrophic failure. They need to murder that brand, humanely.
- Meeting their original pricepoint goal of sub $30k. If this thing's >$30,000, it has some serious competition that I'm not sure it can beat for the price. If it's >$40k, stick a fork in yourself.
- You know, actually being a good car; something Toyota has outright failed to do for nearly a decade now.
Diesel
Studio shots. i can't stop looking at this thing.

clarkma5
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 1 2011, 08:55 AM) *
- If it has Scion branding in the U.S., it's automatically a catastrophic failure. They need to murder that brand, humanely.

Who cares about branding? If it's good it's good, I don't care if it's a Scion, Toyota, Lexus, or a fucking Hino.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 1 2011, 03:59 PM) *
Who cares about branding? If it's good it's good, I don't care if it's a Scion, Toyota, Lexus, or a fucking Hino.

It will have the stigma. I know, I drive a VW.
clarkma5
...who cares about stigma? How insecure are you? There's stigmas around EVERYTHING. there's stigma around driving a car at all! And if you want to avoid that, guess what? There's a stigma about NOT driving a car. You can't win so don't even play that game, just do what you like...
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 1 2011, 04:12 PM) *
...who cares about stigma? How insecure are you? There's stigmas around EVERYTHING. there's stigma around driving a car at all! And if you want to avoid that, guess what? There's a stigma about NOT driving a car. You can't win so don't even play that game, just do what you like...

It's still Scion.
clarkma5
I still don't see why that matters...
Synesthesia
This is looking really hot, even better than v1. I kinda hope it's a Toyota too since I really have no attachment to the Scion brand, but yeah, who cares.
shandyman5
I agree. It doesn't matter if it is a Scion or not. Let's hope Toyota sticks to the concept and makes it like this. Sadly, I am not confident.
Altostratus
whats wrong with scion ?
Razor
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Mar 1 2011, 07:08 PM) *
whats wrong with scion ?

350Z
Anybody who is put off of a great looking great handling vehicle because of it's badge is an idiot and doesn't deserve to own the vehicle in the first place.
dcho
i only drive BMWs. (trolling)
speedyK
QUOTE(350Z @ Mar 2 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Anybody who is put off of a great looking great handling vehicle because of it's badge is an idiot and doesn't deserve to own the vehicle in the first place.

thumbs_up.gif
After I saw the first details on my skiing hols in Feb '99 of the Opel Speedster based on the Elise but with a better engine, ABS and an airbag, I knew I had to have one.

So I went straight to the Opel dealer afterwards and ordered one as soon as their book opened. But I also knew I didn't want that awful Opel nonsense across the front of the car, so I had it in my order contract that I wanted the badges supplied, but not fitted.

More than two years later, I took delivery of the very first Speedster in eastern Switzerland.

This is how it arrived

They had just left off the chrome bits.

The first thing I did when I got the car home was rip the rest of the crap off it laugh.gif

As it was built by Lotus, in England (Lotus Type number 116), I gave it more appropriate badging thumbs_up.gif

Badges can be removed! thumbs_up.gif
caster
^Interesting story, you really are the definition of an enthusiast =P

As far as the FT-86 goes, I'm in love and if priced right, might be my next car smile.gif Also, does the rear fenders give off that wide Supra-like look to anyone else? Every time I look at the 3/4 photos, the rear fenders give off a Supra feeling to them.
dcho
QUOTE(caster @ Mar 2 2011, 12:34 PM) *
^Interesting story, you really are the definition of an enthusiast =P

As far as the FT-86 goes, I'm in love and if priced right, might be my next car smile.gif Also, does the rear fenders give off that wide Supra-like look to anyone else? Every time I look at the 3/4 photos, the rear fenders give off a Supra feeling to them.

totally feelin that too. and lovin it
dukenukem
QUOTE(speedyK @ Mar 2 2011, 02:27 PM) *
thumbs_up.gif
After I saw the first details on my skiing hols in Feb '99 of the Opel Speedster based on the Elise but with a better engine, ABS and an airbag, I knew I had to have one.

So I went straight to the Opel dealer afterwards and ordered one as soon as their book opened. But I also knew I didn't want that awful Opel nonsense across the front of the car, so I had it in my order contract that I wanted the badges supplied, but not fitted.

More than two years later, I took delivery of the very first Speedster in eastern Switzerland.

This is how it arrived

They had just left off the chrome bits.

The first thing I did when I got the car home was rip the rest of the crap off it laugh.gif

As it was built by Lotus, in England (Lotus Type number 116), I gave it more appropriate badging thumbs_up.gif

Badges can be removed! thumbs_up.gif

Your faceless face is not longer faceless. DS_Naughty2.gif
moe
Haha caught. I secretly thought that Speedyk was a retired racing driver or something, hence the blurring of his face, awesome track videos, great cars, etc. I can't tell, but we can see him now!

Also, I don't see how badging it a Scion is any different than the Hyundai Genesis coupe, Kia Elan, Suzuki Cappuccino, Daihatsu Copen, etc. None of those brands have a sporting heritage or anything, but churned out some great sports cars. Those brands have also, until recently (and in the eyes of some, still) have negative stigma.
misnblu
I love it and this is what enthusiasts need were it not for the price that may put it out of reach.
If this concept is anything like what the real car is going to be, it's going to be so sexy. Like the Genesis it's something that looks fresh from the factory and adding anything to the car does nothing more than cover up already beautiful lines that came from the factory.

More details would be nice about the car though. What type of suspension is it going to have and drivetrain setup etc.
All in time I guess but I do hope that Toyota will initiate this concept into a world winning car that can be enjoyable to drive hard.
caster
Is anyone else concerned that Subaru didn't fill its promise of debuting their version of the FT-86. I was really looking forward to it, I've been checking Autoblog like mad (I forgot all about the iPad2 announcement, because I was so caught up wondering about Subaru's announcement).
moe
^ Here you go. I remembered reading it, but totally forgot.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2011, 04:09 AM) *

Eh, wasn't actually a bad commercial. Really plays up the strength of the brand, though the guy in the hoody kind of killed it. I was kind of disappointed not to see Diesel's old tC in there.
Sporty Car
Toyota FT-86 a combined venture of Subaru and Toyota is a a sports look model. FT-86s has a sporty looks from both interior and exterior. Its fiery red color gives it that flamboyance touch. Its engine is combined with D-4S technology.
UserDrew
All your posts have been generic posts regarding toyota. I call spammer or potential spammer.
Phix
Cool, they made a Nissan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.