Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: picked up the m3 car last night
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
porsche944
I'm just reposting my post from m3forum below because im lazy... Loving the car though

This car is just awesome, Feels like my 944 as far as handling but also just a lot faster and smoother. Kind of a bad night for driving due to ice but that didnt stop me lol.

So... Few questions... Where can I buy one of those cheap fix buttons for my glovebox. Also is there any way into the glovebox without it?

My foglights dont light... not sure if its the bulbs or something more annoying. Also the "all windows up" button puts up the rear 2 but leaves the front 2 windows 3 inches from all the way open. I didnt notice this with pre purchase inspection, kinda wondering what it could be because each window works fine independently.

Through a little research I discovered I had these headlights
http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e36/lighting/de...re36-headlights
They are nice and bright and I like the way they look on the car, I will probably keep them when I switch back to OEM corners.

My biggest concern is the way downshifting to 2nd gear works. I have to rev match to get into the 2nd gear gate to avoid a grinding noise even with the clutch all the way in. Is this a syncro issue? You can hear it at 1:34 of the following video and again later on. Near the end is when I start really realizing how icy it is so I have to slow down again smile.gif Nothing great on video quality, just my iphone stuffed in between the passengers headrest and seat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-03Mypx4I
Cyclone
Worst video ever tongue.gif

The thing about the windows, there is probably a way to calibrate them. I've heard about that before with auto up/down windows.
bankE46
M twins, bro! MarioRock-small.gif
porsche944
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Feb 18 2011, 04:37 PM) *
Worst video ever tongue.gif

Yeah it was really just a test to see if that would work for the camera in day time, but ended up being a good representation of the sound i was getting on the downshift to 2nd for the m3 gurus
Razor
Congrats, and just in time for spring! Enjoy!

P.S. Careful with the cloth top... http://movieclips.com/ALej-tommy-boy-movie...-deer-wakes-up/
porsche944
Thanks Razor.

Just a quick snap with the top down. Glad its 60 degrees on the first day I have it smile.gif

porsche944
Transmission is on the way out, and you are worried about the glove box button...lol

Yes those were the synchros grinding away at 1:34ish. Start looking for a replacement.

Luckily the transmission is under warranty with the point of purchase... will be reporting back
Lancer007
When you press the button for windows up do they go up all the way then roll back down 3 inches or do they stop 3 inches from the top?
porsche944
They go up 5 inches then down 2 then stop at 3. They stay there even if you hold the button. If you let go of the button and press it again they go up 2 then down two and stop again. If either or both of them is beyond this magical threshold as their individual buttons work perfectly, then the allwindow control will raise them. If it's only one the one that is too low will still go up down and stop. The rear windows respond to the switch as they should. This also happens when the convertible top control attempts to close all windows as well as when the key is held in the door lock. The allwindow open works fine for all 4. Also I guess the driver window sometimes stops mid close and I have to recheck the button to get it going again. None of the motors seem weak
Lancer007
Has the glass been replaced at any point, do they have the BMW logo in the corner of the front 2 windows? What happens a lot at work is if that glass breaks, the computer and the motor loose track of where the window should be and it freaks out. Nissan and Toyotas do this a fair bit too. I don't know about BMW but with the Toyota/Lexus there is a secret code (sequence of button commands and key in ignition positions) that has to be done for it to relearn where it's programed spots are. All the service techs I've talked to refuse to tell me what it is so I'm guessing it it's driving you nuts you'll have to bend over for the stealership.
bankE46
QUOTE(Lancer007 @ Feb 18 2011, 11:31 PM) *
When you press the button for windows up do they go up all the way then roll back down 3 inches or do they stop 3 inches from the top?

Interesting, this happens in my car sometimes, seeming at random. Once in a while it takes 2-3 tries to get it to stay up. Although I just replaced the entire door seal/liner on both doors due to peeling/rot and I haven't had the issue since then. (The original door seals were discontinued and a part with a new # was manufactured to replace them due to this very issue being so common.)
moe
Congratulations man, that's a sweet ride.
porsche944
Well, before I called I got out the service agreement paperwork and am appalled to find the below under "what your service covers"

As you can see, under "transmission" there is only automatic listed... Now im starting to get a little worried. I called the dealership and he told me he would check on this and get back to me monday and schedule a time I can come and have it checked out. I called the company providing the warrenty and he says "no there should be a spot for manual, let me check" on hold, he comes back... "that is weird I gotta talk to the big shots and call u back." He asks me what is wrong with the car and I explain the syncros for 2nd gear are on the way out. I voiced my concern that I am not looking for a temporary fix. (thicker tranny fluid etc.) Im really hoping that this isnt going to turn into too much of a fight/headache.

Beyond the sketchy wording of coverage... Am I correct in assuming that I am due for them to rebuild the transmission under a warrenteed powertrain? I may have to fight for it, but I dont plan on settling for less. I'm hoping worst case is I'll have to pay for a BMW dealership to assess the problem and state that it needs internal transmission work. I'll report back once I've heard back from someone.

EDIT: got a call back, seems this is going to go pretty well for me
porsche944
Thank you moe

Hard to believe this car was detailed 3 days ago 0____0

b0mb3r
sweet ride... all these new cars....oh and as far as your second gear grind... consider changing the tranny fluid. Also almost all VAG gear boxes are known for this type of behavior...
porsche944
yes, this has progressed but I havent thought much to update. The problem has gone away... The tranny fluid was actually replaced days before I picked up the car. It seems the bmw guys on the forums are really specific about what they put in. I dont really know what is in there. They recommended doing the brake/clutch fluids as well to further get to the bottom of this. The mechanic at the place I bought it (i know the owner so I like to think they are halfway straight with me) thinks that it might just be a product of the car sitting for a long time and being broken in for a second time around, he says doing the brake fluids would be more peace of mind. I plan on talking to MY mechanic very soon to get his opinion and probably have the clutch/brake fluids flushed anyways, maybe replace the slave cylinder. Just so if it comes back, I know its the tranny.

Man I looked like an idiot today when i brought it to the dealer tho lol, "see when i downshift to 2nd it..." VROOOM "hold on... that was pretty good but this time it should..." VROOOOM. perfect shift movement. He's like, "well this car certainly is fast" Annoying how cars seem to fix themselves whenever I have the opportunity to show a problem to someone that knows anything about them.
Aircooled
Clutch master/slave cylinder failures aren't uncommon on BMWs. Consensus is Ate Superblue for brake fluid and redline products for driveline.
porsche944
just ran through the touchless wash to get all the goddam salt off. Brought out all the marks im gonna have to wax/polish off but still worlds better.

also learned convertable tops are not made for high presure horizontal jets... glad i had a dirty tshirt in the car to catch the drips before they hit leather. Also pulled in right behind a huge F150, saw the line at the wash then decided he wasnt waiting. So of course he throws it in reverse without looking... If i was 1/2 second slower on the horn, id be crying right now
Bjorn
Need to get a hard-top for that sucka.

A friend of mine had one for his E36 325, and it made winter much better.
porsche944
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 24 2011, 03:58 AM) *

I have a lead on a nice green one, but they are pretty expensive and require extra harnesses etc. I miiiight, but I can probably always find better uses for my money if I'm going to put it into the car. Depends on opportunity at this point.
I found the original receipt from the car. I was glad to find the original owner was both a woman, and lived in saltless California.
Razor
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 24 2011, 10:47 AM) *
I found the original receipt from the car. I was glad to find the original owner was both a woman, and lived in saltless California.

If I ever sell mine...

"Original owner?"
"Male, early 20s."
"Where?"
"Massachusetts with most of the year spent in Maine. Salty and snowy."
"How was it driven?"
"Very hard."

thumbs_down.gif
BlackJack
^Haha!

Mine would be what you said except for the last one which my answer would be: Oh beaten and torn up off roading. Otherwise great shape.
Cyclone
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 24 2011, 01:58 AM) *

That and people won't think you're a sorority girl carting around your bitch friends for having a 4 seater convertible. Just sayin tongue.gif
bankE46
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Feb 24 2011, 04:47 PM) *
That and people won't think you're a sorority girl carting around your bitch friends for having a 4 seater convertible. Just sayin tongue.gif

If I had a 4 seater vert I'd load it up with sorority girls so fast...
porsche944
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Feb 24 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Counterintuitive, I bought this car to attract and subsequently rape unsuspecting college boys
nismo
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 24 2011, 05:00 PM) *
Counterintuitive, I bought this car to attract and subsequently rape unsuspecting college boys

+1
porsche944
Good News! Car has angel eyes and they look awesome!
Bad News! I discovered this because they were on when I got to work and the car was parked and off... I have no idea how they turned on and I couldnt figure out how to turn them off so I just got under the hood and unplugged em. They are supossed to be in the parking lights power... However they are running to wires that go behind my radiator and I cant track em down right now. Never did a lot with car electrical, but im hoping I can find where my car outputs parking light power so I can get them functioning properly.
Aircooled
Hmm, this'll go on the long list of shadily modded E36s I've seen. It seems like every young dude who wants a BMW to have a BMW ends up with an e36 and does all sorts silly work to it.
goota
yeap you better start looking for other things, especially electrical. shady electrical wiring can cause alot of problems.
porsche944
QUOTE(goota @ Feb 26 2011, 05:14 PM) *
yeap you better start looking for other things, especially electrical. shady electrical wiring can cause alot of problems.

ya I have a family friend mechanic whos rewiring the car for me on tuesday. It doesnt seem like the headlights were hooked up shodily as much as some wires are crossed somewhere. Either way, the porsche has led me to get good at having the right resources for having minimal mechanical expertise alongside affordably keeping the older german car on the road
Lancer007
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 24 2011, 03:00 PM) *

Just blast some Dave Matthews Band or Jack Johnson and you'll have so many bros following you it'll be an all you can rape buffet.
moe
^ Heh, I love that music...
porsche944
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 27 2011, 09:46 AM) *
^ Heh, I love that music...

do you? hop in. i have a sixpack and a gamecube covered in axe in the backseat. Lets go find a place we can just hang out.

Doesnt look like anything in the car is modified at all beyond the front corner lights and the headlights.

Razor
^ That car is full of Black Dildos.
porsche944
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 28 2011, 01:17 PM) *
^ That car is full of Black Dildos.

Do you mean clutch pedals? I know it hard for you to recognize them
Razor
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 28 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Do you mean clutch pedals? I know it hard for you to recognize them

No, I was continuing the bro rape reference, Sherlock.
porsche944
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 28 2011, 01:31 PM) *
No, I was continuing the bro rape reference, Sherlock.

Yes, I recognized this, wasnt really trying to run too far with that one though Raspberry.gif
Razor
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 28 2011, 12:36 PM) *
Yes, I recognized this, wasnt really trying to run too far with that one though Raspberry.gif

I was! DS_Naughty2.gif

So, GameCube?
porsche944
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 28 2011, 01:46 PM) *

yeah bro, im outta work at 530
Lancer007

Don't forget this bro!
Altostratus
that thing has some mad camber
Lancer007
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Feb 28 2011, 09:40 PM) *
that thing has some mad camber

The dildo or the M3?
Razor
QUOTE(Lancer007 @ Mar 1 2011, 12:25 AM) *
The dildo or the M3?

misnblu
Nice BMW.
About the BMW being quicker and smoother than the 944 would be correct. My 944 isn't the fastest either but of course it wasn't purchased for that reason but for cruising and hitting the twisties whenever possible.

Enjoy the ride.
porsche944
I meant that it felt tight and balanced in the turns with low body roll PLUS was much faster smile.gif I do miss the unreal lightness of the 944 though. Both cars are great for cruising deserted back roads though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.