Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WRC 2011
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Vadvagool
Anyone know a good place to be able to watch WRC 2011? I just realized it started, and I want to keep up with this season!
clarkma5
I download it off ze internet...

Sweden was a great event! Lovin' the new cars!
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 13 2011, 08:42 PM) *

torrents?
Vadvagool
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 13 2011, 08:42 PM) *

Sweden was a great event! Lovin' the new cars!

Ze internet is large, which corner?
clarkma5
Private trackers...PM sent.
skr
GO Mads!

I really wanna say it's Hirvonen's year, but then he always has a good showing at the Swedish Rally.

I'm wondering why they switched from a hydraulic actuated shifter system back to the conventional lever shifter. To cut costs? Was there a rule change? I haven't followed much of the nitty gritty preseason stuff other than Mini/Prodrive joining the ranks with Dani Sordo, and Michelin being the tire supplier.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 14 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Private trackers...PM sent.

Does that tracker do ALMS/LMS/AsianLMS too?
Bjorn
Yes, yes and I dunno. If it's the one I'm thinking of . . . which I'm pretty sure it is.

Razor
Oh boy, sign me up... who do I have to go down on?
moe
PM me your email address.
clarkma5
QUOTE(skr @ Feb 15 2011, 08:26 AM) *
I'm wondering why they switched from a hydraulic actuated shifter system back to the conventional lever shifter. To cut costs? Was there a rule change?

Yeah the new gearboxes are significantly cheaper than the old ones; the old gearboxes were really, really expensive. The new cars cost less than a third of what the old ones did and the gearbox is a decent chunk of that.
Bjorn
I fucking hate motorsTV coverage.
clarkma5
The coverage you want is marked as being commentated by Paul King, he's on ESPN now (last year it was OneHD). Unfortunately the Motors TV coverage is usually available for download first, you just gotta be patient...
Bjorn
^Thanks, I'll look for that.
skr
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 15 2011, 01:59 PM) *
Yeah the new gearboxes are significantly cheaper than the old ones; the old gearboxes were really, really expensive. The new cars cost less than a third of what the old ones did and the gearbox is a decent chunk of that.

Makes perfect sense. From reading, I gathered that they changed the regulation and now the S2000 specs from last year are this years WRC specs, with the exception of the 1.6L turbo and added rear wings.
clarkma5
That is the long and short of it, basically!
tune
Yeah Motors TV just doesn't cut it for me. The commentator is so wrong for it and there's not enough footage of the cars from the outside. A massive slide from in car is impressive, but if you can't see that from the outside it just gets dull.

Unfortunately ESPN is a pay channel in the UK (approx. 9 a month), which I'm not paying just to watch WRC. The promoters claim this will help them reach new fans - fucking unlikely. So far as I can see the FIA have made efforts to make the sport more interesting and economic (rule changes and power stage), but the new promoters are busy ensuring good WRC programming (in the UK at least) is out of reach to existing fans and certainly not likely to win new ones or get anywhere near F1 in terms of media coverage.

skr
One HD > MotorsTV.

..at least from what I've downloaded.
Bjorn
^Yeah, I think that's the one I downloaded last year; that's the one with the lady announcer and the nasally guy commentator, right? Where do you find it?
Razor
QUOTE(minu1557 @ Mar 4 2011, 06:33 AM) *
Many of the best new cars for 2011 have advanced safety features that keep you and your passengers more secure as well as making your insurance agent happy. Keep in mind when considering a new car the potential cost of your cover insurance, and seek an online car insurance quote to help you make the final purchase decision.
The Tesla Roadster for 2011 is the gold-standard for electric vehicles, with a price to match at 86950. Manufactured at the Lotus plant in Hethel, England, the 2011 Roadster can travel up to 386 km on a single charge - compared to the electric Nissan Leaf, which has a range of 161 km. Performance-wise, this revolutionary electric car goes from 0-96.5 km/h in 3.7 seconds. However, the manufacturer announced in January 2011 that Roadster production will be suspended until 2013, so this is the year to snap up your Tesla Roadster, available by order.vibrating exercise machines

Kindly die in a fire.
RallyCat909
Paul King is fucking horrible. Ugh. Worse than that chick that used to it.
clarkma5
He's way better than the simon what's-his-face guy on Motors TV.

I don't really care for the writing for the summary shows, though. In F1, and most other forms of racing, commentary delves into technical aspects of the sport. In WRC, they talk about big jumps (ESPECIALLY this season, it's over the top), "going flat-out", and road order. Do we hear about tire compounds, suspension setups, gear ratios, aerodynamics? Almost never. I've been watching WRC for longer than any other form of motorsport and I know less about it than anything else because the coverage never gets beyond "ooh, this looks cool and sounds cool, let's watch and talk about what it's like to watch it."

It's disappointing.
skr
Yes, for a motorsport that isn't very watchable in realtime(except for the Power Stages I suppose), you'd think they would have plenty of time to provide technical coverage along with their action coverage when compiling the footage. I would gladly trade the Ken Block coverage for some tech stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.