Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting motor swap I came across yesterday
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Alt.Binaries
fiber optic

While browsing the Crown Vic forums someone started a thread about putting a 7.3L Powerstroke in their car. Somewhere in the mix this video got posted.

It's not a Powerstroke but a Cummins 4BT (4 cylinder version of 6BT)

I traveled down a dark path of future project thoughts.
Asher
Interesting but are there any real advantages? I don't know anything about the engine, does it have mad torques?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Asher @ Feb 10 2011, 07:27 PM) *
Interesting but are there any real advantages? I don't know anything about the engine, does it have mad torques?

It makes more torque 350lb-ft which is only 50-ish more lb-ft over the stock Crown Vic motor. I think it could be modified to be 500 or so. Fuel economy is better from what I've read but with the rising cost of diesel fuel that might be a wash.

I think it was done for the novelty of it.
goota
doesnt matter, its a diesel, just start running it on oil, any kind of oil, might need a few modifications, but if you swapped it in, you can handle those modifications.

the more I learn about diesels, the more I love them and wish I had one.
dukenukem
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Feb 10 2011, 07:42 PM) *
It makes more torque 350lb-ft which is only 50-ish more lb-ft over the stock Crown Vic motor. I think it could be modified to be 500 or so. Fuel economy is better from what I've read but with the rising cost of diesel fuel that might be a wash.

I think it was done for the novelty of it.

How much does diesel cost in your neck of the woods? Over here in KC its pretty much the same price as super so $3.30/gal
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 10 2011, 11:45 PM) *
How much does diesel cost in your neck of the woods? Over here in KC its pretty much the same price as super so $3.30/gal

I paid $2.98 for 87 in my truck on Tuesday and diesel was $3.50. I didn't catch the price of 93.
fiber optic
QUOTE(goota @ Feb 10 2011, 10:30 PM) *
the more I learn about diesels, the more I love them and wish I had one.

Agreed

I've been helping my dad with some upgrades to his powerstroke truck as well as reading more about just basic operation. I'm not completely convinced my next vehicle will be diesel. But I would give it more consideration now than I would have in the past.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.