Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Seems WAY Too Good To Be True
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Razor
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...9BE876131D926C3

Seriously? That cheap? Someone confirm or deny this. Flaw?
dukenukem
Sometimes crucial has awesome sales. I remember getting 4GB RAM for $50 back in 2006.
Razor
Ordered, 8 GB for $97. Color me ecstatic. biggrin.gif
bankE46
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 3 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Ordered, 8 GB for $97. Color me ecstatic. biggrin.gif

Does OSX natively recognize that much ram?
Razor
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Feb 3 2011, 01:15 PM) *
Does OSX natively recognize that much ram?

Yep, starting with Snow Leopard (10.6).
fiber optic
I don't know anything about laptop memory and even less about Macintosh laptop memory but Newegg has 8GB DDR3 kits starting at $79 with free shipping.

Link may or may not work

Razor
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Feb 3 2011, 04:29 PM) *
I don't know anything about laptop memory and even less about Macintosh laptop memory but Newegg has 8GB DDR3 kits starting at $79 with free shipping.

Link may or may not work

Not sure if all of those are Mac compatible. Crucial is the frontname for Micron, the company that makes Apple's OEM RAM; so I think I did pretty well.
bankE46
Remember kids, always check to make sure your motherboard supports DDR2/3 and the speeds you're looking at! There's a shit ton of the stuff out there and usually mobos will only support 2-3 speeds:

Razor
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Feb 3 2011, 04:50 PM) *
Remember kids, always check to make sure your motherboard supports DDR2/3 and the speeds you're looking at! There's a shit ton of the stuff out there and usually mobos will only support 2-3 speeds:

Indeed. Such is why I bought Crucial... it's optimized for this machine.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 3 2011, 03:48 PM) *
Not sure if all of those are Mac compatible. Crucial is the frontname for Micron, the company that makes Apple's OEM RAM; so I think I did pretty well.

I am aware, I interviewed with Micron many moons ago.

I looked again and there was a separate category for Macintosh memory. The least expensive is some Mushkin (1 of 3 brands I'd use, Crucial being one of the others ) at $105 so I'd say you did OK.
Bjorn
So tempting to bump my 17 inch, pre unibody (but top of the line at the time) MBP to 8 gigs. Adobe CS3 (what we use at the paper) would be soooooooo slick.
SwissWhiskey
It wouldn't work Bjorn. Some people got it to work buts is bugged. Only supports 6 max. I also got a pre uni 17 and might go 6.
Razor
Twooooooo daaaaaaaaaaaays.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Feb 7 2011, 11:52 AM) *
It wouldn't work Bjorn. Some people got it to work buts is bugged. Only supports 6 max. I also got a pre uni 17 and might go 6.

Yup it will boot up and recognize the memory but once it clocks over 6GB the OS fails. I'm running 6GB on my older iMac at home and it works great. And I bought PC memory (kingston I believe) and I'm NOT running parallel, I have a 4GB card and a 2GB card and it works just fine - been running it like that for almost two years now. There are a lot of false rumors about Macs out there to try and keep you spending top dollar w/ Apple, you just have to make sure to spec out the memory exactly to the computer's parameters (some shit about parsing/non-parsing or something, I forget but I researched before I bought it) and you'll save a ton by buying PC memory.
Seethegrim
Forgive my n00bish question, but I'm buying a 2nd hand 17" Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.66 this week just to tie me over until I can get to the states & splash out on the new Macbook thats just been launched.

So my question is, how many RAM slots are inside the macbook pro body? Is it a single slot, so that you have to either have 1x 4gig or 1x 8gig ram module? Or can you put an extra 4gig in to suppliment the 4gig existing?
Bjorn
I'm pretty sure there are two slots. Jury is out on whether they have to be matched or not.
Razor
Two slots, don't have to be matched IIRC.
Seethegrim
Shot thanks guys. Lets hope the machine has 1x 4gig module instead of 2x 2gig modules. Otherwise I'll have to buy two modules instead of just 1... dry.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Mar 1 2011, 07:42 AM) *
Shot thanks guys. Lets hope the machine has 1x 4gig module instead of 2x 2gig modules. Otherwise I'll have to buy two modules instead of just 1... dry.gif

No way. You think Apple would ever give you the better option as a factory option? Unfortunately, nope. It's always 2x2GB.
Seethegrim
tongue_crossed-eyes.gif cran.gif Thought as much...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.