Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Hex, or Not To Hex
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2
Mr b00st
ok, here's a question. I'm currently driving this:

which is very nice, cheap to run, extremely reliable, blah blah. However, I found this for sale:

on the swedespeed forums. It's a '98 V70 T5 (wagon) with the extremely rare manual transmission. I've always had a jones for one of these cars (a T5 manual or a yellow T-5R) since my first car (a 97 850.) This one's got just a touch over 100k on the clock, just had the T-belt, tensioners and rollers replaced 2 weeks ago, and is in extremely good shape. It might be the best condition, lowest mileage V70 T-5M in the country. The price is good - $6500 is the offering price. My accord is worth about 12. I'd spend some of the difference upgrading a few things and save the rest for a rainy day.

So, to Hexagone or not to Hexagone? Opinions!!??
b0mb3r
that did not take long...
Razor
If you don't buy that, I'll beat you over the head with a lead pipe.
MustangAficionado
$6500 is a lot of money for a late 90's volvo
moe
Do it. We all know you've got a hard-on for Swedish cars, and things with Turbos. I never thought the Accord was a bad car until I bought my Peugeot. After driving my dad's car over Christmas, it pains me to see anyone drive one, let alone a fellow gearhead. The 850's also considerably newer than your Saab was, and probably won't be anywhere near as big of a money-pit. It's from the tank era of Volvo's, not to mention all the extra utility you'll get.

EDIT: I can see now that I was rambling (long-day at work, about to pass out), but if any of that is coherent, go for it dude.
goota
its not an accord, that should be reason enough.
clarkma5
That looks quite good. I met a guy my freshman year in college who had (and I think still has, I haven't seen him in awhile...) a black-on-black V70 T5-R manual that he had tuned to about 350 HP. It was a pretty mean car.

I think it should be more reliable than an equivalent-aged Saab? I think? Not an expert on Volvos...
fiber optic
As much as I really love the V70 R I don't think I could ever convince myself to handover the cash for one.
Aircooled
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Jan 30 2011, 01:39 PM) *

Tireshine, on an accord, srlsly?

The price does seem high, but it has decent mileage. I can't think of a logical reason to not buy a manual turbo five cylinder swedish wagon, especially when you're currently driving a slushbox old ladies car.
Bjorn
Sorry, is it a V70 R or does it just have the R appearance kit?

Either way, go for it. Once you go wagon, you'll never go back.
clarkma5
Aircooled, his Accord is a 5-speed at least.

And what's wrong with tireshine? It makes your tires shiny! Also if it's good stuff it generally just protects your sidewalls from UV damage, which is no bad thing.
Aircooled
That's right it is a 5MT, I forgot.

My tires don't get old enough for UV damage to be a factor, although I do spray them occasionally. Whenever I see tire shine on a run of the mill car (eg accord) I think used car lot.
moe
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jan 31 2011, 01:02 AM) *
I can't think of a logical reason to not buy a manual turbo five cylinder swedish wagon, especially when you're currently driving a slushbox old ladies car.

Said the guy driving the sorority girl's car of choice tongue.gif
dukenukem
Go for it. I would love to have had a modern V70R if they made such a thing.
moe
^ There was this for the previous-gen V70R

dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 31 2011, 02:04 AM) *
^ There was this for the previous-gen V70R

Yea ... I got to drive the V70 from Denver to Dallas (13 hr drive) and I loved the comfort and utility of the thing. Not terribly quick though.
moe
An R? I thought the most recent V70R (pictured) was quick enough.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 31 2011, 02:19 AM) *
An R? I thought the most recent V70R (pictured) was quick enough.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the last R was just a appearance package with no performance gains. Also the car I drove was a rental. Come to think of it, it might have been a V50
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 31 2011, 09:52 AM) *
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the last R was just a appearance package with no performance gains. Also the car I drove was a rental. Come to think of it, it might have been a V50

The V70R is 0-60 in 5.5 seconds... you had a V50 R-Package or whatever it's called, which IS just an appearance package.
moe
Duke, the last R was legit, AWD, extra hp, and an available manual. I believe the R-Design package started being offered on the current V70, which is nothing but an appearance package.
bankE46
Sounds good to me. Your insurance will likely be the same if not lower, you'll pay less property tax on it, its a car that you'd love rather than one that you drive to get from A to B, and you'll have a bunch of cash on hand if you sell the accord quickly for the price you suggested that its worth. The winter is a great time to pick up a fun AWD car like that as well.
hexagone
Unless you're *making* money on this deal... you'd be stupid to do so.

I spent an evening in my mom's 06 Accord SE, and while it is an accord and it is absolutely huge in comparison to my e30 and 330i... it is still a very good car for what it is. Not to mention that it's unquestionably bulletproof, which cannot be said about any volvo, regardless of what you do to it.
Aircooled
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 31 2011, 01:06 AM) *
Said the guy driving the sorority girl's car of choice tongue.gif

Hey, if I wasn't on my parents insurance policy I would have had a beat e30 a long time ago.
Cyclone
I'd do it but I've already said what I think of your Accord.

Mr b00st
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jan 30 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Tireshine, on an accord, srlsly?

The price does seem high, but it has decent mileage. I can't think of a logical reason to not buy a manual turbo five cylinder swedish wagon, especially when you're currently driving a slushbox old ladies car.

I know this is a minor point, but my Accord is a manual transmission. Although it is an old lady car.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 31 2011, 09:52 AM) *

the flash green metallic V70R pictured above your post has the 2,521cc new-style T5, VCT on both cams, KKK K24 turbo, twin intercoolers, 300bhp/300tq.

the new "R design" cars are just appearance packages.

The silver '98 I'm looking at isn't an R. In fact it's quicker than a US R - it's a manual and FWD instead of 4-speed auto and Haldex (read: worthless) AWD. The early Volvo Haldex systems are mostly known for not working.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Jan 31 2011, 10:42 AM) *
Sounds good to me. Your insurance will likely be the same if not lower, you'll pay less property tax on it, its a car that you'd love rather than one that you drive to get from A to B, and you'll have a bunch of cash on hand if you sell the accord quickly for the price you suggested that its worth. The winter is a great time to pick up a fun AWD car like that as well.

QUOTE(hexagone @ Jan 31 2011, 12:30 PM) *
Unless you're *making* money on this deal... you'd be stupid to do so.

I spent an evening in my mom's 06 Accord SE, and while it is an accord and it is absolutely huge in comparison to my e30 and 330i... it is still a very good car for what it is. Not to mention that it's unquestionably bulletproof, which cannot be said about any volvo, regardless of what you do to it.

I'd probably come out about $6k ahead selling the accord and buying this. Maybe 5 after fees and stuff. Good point about Volvo reliability but this is about the cream of the crop for a modern volvo... it's pre DBW, doesn't have a shitty automatic to blow up, a shitty Haldex AWD system to puke it's transfer case or kill a driveshaft, etc.

I'm still thinking on it...
goota
youre young, you shouldnt be driving anything that could have old woman so properly tagged to it. Its time to drive things unreliable and fun.

Just think about when youre older and youre telling your kids about "when i was your age" I had to walk 5 miles in the snow because my volvo broke down. good times. But instead youll tell stories of how reliable your old woman car was. So basically, you wont be the cool grandpa if you dont get rid of that accord.
BlackJack
Get it. Most people at the Volvo dealership I work at would KILL for this. We've had a few V70R's come across for service...none needed major work. Really reliable and I drove a few and it's definitely fun to drive.
DB9
QUOTE(goota @ Feb 1 2011, 08:18 PM) *
youre young, you shouldnt be driving anything that could have old woman so properly tagged to it. Its time to drive things unreliable and fun.

Just think about when youre older and youre telling your kids about "when i was your age" I had to walk 5 miles in the snow because my volvo broke down. good times. But instead youll tell stories of how reliable your old woman car was. So basically, you wont be the cool grandpa if you dont get rid of that accord.

I actually partially agree with this. However, the downside is that younger usually means less money to afford repairs and whatnot.
Bjorn
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Feb 1 2011, 08:04 PM) *
Get it. Most people at the Volvo dealership I work at would KILL for this. We've had a few V70R's come across for service...none needed major work. Really reliable and I drove a few and it's definitely fun to drive.

Not an R.

I dunno. FWD V70?

I like the manual part, but I would keep looking.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 1 2011, 09:12 PM) *
Not an R.

I dunno. FWD V70?

Who cares if it isn't AWD. He lives in NC, snow is a rarity and if it occurs it is gone less than a day or two later.
Aircooled
Manual is definitely a buy or not buy factor. Stop waffling and buy it, it wont be around forever. I missed an awesome $500 325es over the summer because my parents waffled over it.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Feb 1 2011, 11:00 PM) *
Manual is definitely a buy or not buy factor. Stop waffling and buy it, it wont be around forever. I missed an awesome $500 325es over the summer because my parents waffled over it.

I never said manual, I said AWD.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Feb 1 2011, 08:17 PM) *
I never said manual, I said AWD.

I think the R's are manual.
Razor
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Feb 1 2011, 11:20 PM) *

No, they were available with an awful slushbox as well.

I looked at a manual S60R until I heard how unreliable they are.
shandyman5
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Feb 1 2011, 11:20 PM) *

'
I was referring to to AirCooled responding to my saying that "Who cares if it isn't AWD" I think he thought I wrote who cares if it isn't manual.
Aircooled
I'm 98% sure you had manual instead of awd when i wrote that, because 1 I did a double take to see who was defending a slushbox and two I was confused why you were talking about manuals and then talking about snow.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Feb 2 2011, 12:41 AM) *
I'm 98% sure you had manual instead of awd when i wrote that, because 1 I did a double take to see who was defending a slushbox and two I was confused why you were talking about manuals and then talking about snow.

FUCK!!!! you got me lol. head.gif I screwed up my post, and then edited it hoping no one would notice but you had already posted. You should no I will never defend a slush box. whistle.gif
Aircooled
Yeah I was surprised
moe
Wait it's not an R? WTF is it then?
OHirtenfelder
^ a T5.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 1 2011, 09:12 PM) *
Not an R.

I dunno. FWD V70?

well in the price range i'm looking at they're first gen V70's (square sides)

the 1st gen V70R was AWD-only in the states (bad, Haldex, bad, broken) and Auto-only (bad.)

this one is FWD and has the same engine as the R but a manual. The 1st gen V70R is actually slower than a normal T5 Auto, much less a T5M.

the SECOND gen V70R is an epic piece of overengineered garbage that breaks a lot but I still one one. They are AWD with auto or stick.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 2 2011, 01:23 AM) *
Wait it's not an R? WTF is it then?

jesus it's a volvo clusterfuck. Let me do a run down of the S70/V70 gen 1

S/V70 Gen 1 = 1998-2000
1998 had throttle cable, 1999-2000 had DBW (DBW = bad)

S70/V70 base: 2.4L 20v I5, 5M OR 4A, 168bhp FWD
S70/V70 GLT: 2.4L 20v "LPT" Turbo I5, 190bhp, 4A only FWD
S70/V70 T5: 2.3L 20v "HPT" Turbo I5, 236bhp, 5M (rare) or 4A (very common) FWD
V70R 98-99: 2.3L 20v "HPT" Turbo I5, 236bhp, 4A only, shitty Haldex AWD
V70R 2000: 2.3L 20v "HPT" Turbo I5 with larger tarbo, 261bhp, 4A only, shitty Haldex AWD
V70XC 98-00: 2.4L 20v "LPT" Turbo I5, 190bhp, 4A only, dumb body kit and useless high suspension, shitty haldex AWD

The GLT's used a TD04-13g. The T-5's used a TD04-16t. The '00 R used a TD04-19t and larger injectors. HPT= high pressure turbo, LPT = low pressure turbo. The I5 was sleeved down and compression was 8.5:1 for a T5 compared to 10.5:1 for an NA motor. the DBW cars suck, wouldn't buy a volvo 1999 or up for that reason. So it is kinda cream of the crop.

I'm really wanting this like now. Sadly there's a snowpocalypse clusterfuck going on in ohio. I'll keep y'all posted. Glad to have some support on this smile.gif

edit: they whored this platform out SO MUCH.

there was also the S70 AWD, which was basically an S70 GLT (2.4L "LPT" 190bhp with shitty Haldex) but without the wagon body or the stupid cladding/ride height of the v70XC.

also the C70 was basically the same car but... ahh LPT/HPT, FWD only, 4A or 5M for either engine, coupe or conv
Razor
What "shitty Haldex" do you refer to? Which Generation is that?
Bjorn
^Aren't they all shitty?

[flamesuit]
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 4 2011, 01:44 PM) *
^Aren't they all shitty?

[flamesuit]

Not when I can make my car basically RWD with a certain mod.

moe
Had no idea that the Veyron also uses the Haldex system. Random.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 3 2011, 11:34 PM) *
What "shitty Haldex" do you refer to? Which Generation is that?

first, but they all sorta suck anyway - front wheels spin then rears grip (usually too late.) My friend has that HPA Haldex controller in his TT - it is really awesome, actually moves the rear around. Haldex in Volvos sucks because it's always broken, which seems to be specific to Volvos not necessarily Haldex.
b0mb3r
so did you end up buying it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.