Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on this book for techniques
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Daz
First off I will thank everyone that's helped me with tips for shooting, editing etc. I really really appreciate all the help I've got.

I want to learn some stuff myself and was considering getting this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digitally-Photogra...2606&sr=8-2.

If I remember rightly it was written by a member on here?

Is it worth getting to help me improve more as I really want to get the WOW factor into my shots and I'm thinking a book to go back to basics and re-learn what I've either skipped or forgotten or just not nailed right would be worthwhile.

Cheers biggrin.gif
v2lab
the book is a good read (i own it - have no idea where it is - but i own it!) - it's got a lot of general tips and tricks - that every photographer should know

but wow factor will ultimately come from your eye and your ability to post process a shot into something great - and just remember - nothing happens over night
Daz
QUOTE(v2lab @ Jan 28 2011, 07:01 AM) *
the book is a good read (i own it - have no idea where it is - but i own it!) - it's got a lot of general tips and tricks - that every photographer should know

but wow factor will ultimately come from your eye and your ability to post process a shot into something great - and just remember - nothing happens over night

Thanks for that, I shall order a copy a bit later then.

I'm aware it won't happen overnight but any little help I can get then thats for the better I think biggrin.gif
Joey
Might actually get this book myself too!
mcdronkz
Daz, what do you really want to learn? The 'WOW factor' is too abstract.
Mitch Hemming
I saw that on Josh Mackey's website. Im presuming he wrote it? or atleast promoting it
Daz
QUOTE(mcdronkz @ Jan 28 2011, 09:05 PM) *
Daz, what do you really want to learn? The 'WOW factor' is too abstract.

Just want to improve in general. What I mean by the WOW factor is getting the difference from my current shots to ones that have my own personal flare to them. I guess you could say to help develop my own style. I'm just wondering if that book might help me with some of the more technical bits so I can focus on other stuff more.

That doesn't make much sense does it lol.

QUOTE(Mitch Hemming @ Jan 29 2011, 11:00 AM) *
I saw that on Josh Mackey's website. Im presuming he wrote it? or atleast promoting it

He co-wrote it I think. His name isn't listed on that link above but it is listed on other sites I've checked.
mcdronkz
QUOTE(Daz @ Jan 31 2011, 06:07 AM) *
Just want to improve in general. What I mean by the WOW factor is getting the difference from my current shots to ones that have my own personal flare to them. I guess you could say to help develop my own style. I'm just wondering if that book might help me with some of the more technical bits so I can focus on other stuff more.

That doesn't make much sense does it lol.

I haven't seen much of your work, but I believe your photos are technically sound. How much preparation do you put into these shots?

I'm sure it would help you to think more about your final photos. Make concepts, make sketches, figure out what you want and what (which environment for instance) will fit the car best. It's hard to produce stunning images without knowing with what you want to end up.
Daz
QUOTE(mcdronkz @ Jan 31 2011, 02:54 PM) *
I haven't seen much of your work, but I believe your photos are technically sound. How much preparation do you put into these shots?

I'm sure it would help you to think more about your final photos. Make concepts, make sketches, figure out what you want and what (which environment for instance) will fit the car best. It's hard to produce stunning images without knowing with what you want to end up.

Thanks. I usually spend about 3 hours on a shoot and end up with roughly 15-18 decent shots. Some I spend a while setting up, others not so long.

I think thats what I need. To get my workflow sorted a bit more and to just think in advance a bit more. So far I've down alright but I know I can improve it massively.
Daz
I've ordered this so will see how helpful it is smile.gif
Mitch Hemming
QUOTE(Daz @ Feb 2 2011, 09:46 PM) *
I've ordered this so will see how helpful it is smile.gif

let us know how you find it. im curious to know if its worth buying
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.