Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ipad/iphone friendly portfolio
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Kasper
I have a flash portfolio, working OK, until yesterday.
I knew the iphone and ipad wasn't reading flash content, but I was like "yeah, well.."
Yesterday I messed around with ipad for the first time and then it hit me quite hard that a LOT of customers are using ipad/iphone when they are checking out my site. I got quite worried so I started checking out what others have done.
Easton - flash
Scott Dukes - flash
Webb Bland - non flash
Wynn Ruji - flash
Seagram Pearce - non flash

Whats your take on this? I really want to build a website wich runs nice on all devices.
Seagram and Webb have nailed it I think!
Seethegrim
Mine is just super basic html. It isn't even made up of splices like my previous site. I've finally realised that the simpler the site, the more professional it looks.

The flash vs non-flash debate still rages on, even though flash has been replaces with jquery (I think). It looks the same as flash & has none of the compatibility issues.

Your other alternative is using a script which detects the users browser & then redirects to either the web (flash) version, or a super basic web (non-flash version). I know a few guys who have done this so that browsing on the iPhone is a pleasure.
rob200sx
I've just enabled iPhone/Android support on my site.

It's running Slideshowpro, doesn't cost much and is quite worth it imo, apart from the main flash, it was a little bit of code to embed (provided for by the software) and that's it.

doesn't work on WP7 phones but seems to be ok on the iphone/ipad

mcdronkz
Just develop your site using HTML/JS code. There isn't really anything you can't do without Flash these days, sometimes it's just a bit more complex.
Kasper
Thanks for your replies, I Think im going for the old school with a javascript popup thingy.
Does anyone have a number on how many uses mobile devices for their surfing? I think its around 50% so its a major subject that should be taken seriously. I'm not really interested in loosing any visitors/potential clients.
StE823
check out my site, its iphone and ipad friendly

http://www.shutterlit.com

i was using flash before for a year until i want to make some change and my friend put this gallery for the portfolio page... and so far it work nicely on iphone and ipad...
Daz
QUOTE(rob200sx @ Jan 20 2011, 01:59 PM) *
I've just enabled iPhone/Android support on my site.

It's running Slideshowpro, doesn't cost much and is quite worth it imo, apart from the main flash, it was a little bit of code to embed (provided for by the software) and that's it.

doesn't work on WP7 phones but seems to be ok on the iphone/ipad

Your portfolio lows nicely on my iPad.

Oh, you copyright 2010 needs updating to 2011.
rob200sx
Yeah i'll get round to that tomorrow, glad it works on the ipad though smile.gif
v2lab
i built my personal site around that idea - to be mobile friendly so myself, friends, and clients could pull it up on the go.. (www.raviangard.com)

basic html, just pictures and quick descriptions..
TW0R
I just have a folder on my iphone with my portfolio in it. I need to update it now that I think of it...
Daz
QUOTE(TW0R @ Jan 24 2011, 04:57 PM) *
I just have a folder on my iphone with my portfolio in it. I need to update it now that I think of it...

That kind of misses the point though. Knowone but you can access that portfolio.
Kasper
(www.raviangard.com)
I really like that, going back to super basic, nice and clean! thanks
TW0R
QUOTE(Daz @ Jan 24 2011, 08:36 PM) *
That kind of misses the point though. Knowone but you can access that portfolio.

You can access my website too, it's just not exactly complete right now.
Ravi Angard made it > http://jordandonnelly.com
zac
what software or tools are you guys using to create such simple sites/homepages?
v2lab
QUOTE(zac @ Jan 26 2011, 09:55 PM) *
what software or tools are you guys using to create such simple sites/homepages?

I used dreamweaver CS5 & photoshop CS5 (for both mine and jordan donnelly's site)
rob200sx
notepad ftw! smile.gif
Seethegrim
QUOTE(v2lab @ Jan 27 2011, 09:40 AM) *
I used dreamweaver CS5 & photoshop CS5 (for both mine and jordan donnelly's site)

+1

Dreamweaver is great, cos it checks your code for you (if you're manually writing it) and also helps debug & check compatibility issues.
Daz
Anyone got a copy of Dreamweaver CS5 they would like to send me smile.gif
Kasper
I aslo use Dreamweaver. works GREAT
Daz
QUOTE(Kasper @ Feb 4 2011, 08:07 AM) *
I aslo use Dreamweaver. works GREAT

It's a steep learning curve though as I'm finding out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.