Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sharpening Techniques......
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
DonJuanMair
I think i need to revise my sharpening techniques. I have been using the same one for a while now, i guess being lazy.

Lab sharpening is what i use. Anyone want to share theirs and what they recommend?
ronaldo.s
Lately I've just been using high-pass. Duplicate the layer, set it to soft light and high-pass radius of about 4. Then I just lower the layer opacity to where I want it.

Never tried lab sharpening but interested to see what everyone else is doing as well.
smalltrees
Sharpening is one of those digital mysteries... how to do, when to do in the process and how much...
there are numerous techniques... you should always confine your sharpening to the luminosity/greyscale of the image.
as sharpening, is not "really" sharpening, it is an increase of contrast, of edges... increasing the contrast will affect color...
so, any sharpening needs to be on the greyscale only...

Sharpening is image dependent, your amounts and techniques, should be customized for that image, and most importantly the final use...
what looks good on your monitor, may or may not be the correct amounts for the final product...

Sharpening should be the last step of your processing... so... this means turn off any in-camera sharpening...
use the best software for this very critical step, and this does not come from the camera...

Sharpening can be global, but... should also be fine-tuned locally/selectively... to enhance, or direct the viewer's eye...

I use several methods... here are two methods, I use most often...
the first one is very portrait friendly... Thank you... Kevin Ames...
this is set-up as an action, and I will often run twice, if needed...

Unsharp Mask
Amount... 150% often to 200%
Radius... 1 pixel
Threshold... 0

Edit/Fade
Opacity... 100%
Mode... luminosity

Gaussian Blur
Radius... 1.4 pixels

Edit/Fade
Opacity... 100%
Mode... color

a newer method, I have found, and works very well, and has more strength... uses the LAB mode...
many people have fears about LAB, as it can be very visually daunting...
it is also the most powerful mode, very easy to make colors very far out of gammet... ( which can be very useful...)
Photoshop uses LAB, very often, behind the scenes, for many calculations, as greyscale, and color data are independent...

this method uses two passes, the first pass is a small amount, very wide, to "wake-up" or find as many edges as possible
then the second pass sharpens those edges... I have found this method very useful...
my favorite technique, for printing... or when there is lots of detail... ( not... so portrait friendly, unless you are after a gritty/grungy... feel)

Convert Mode...
To... LAB Color Mode

select the lightness channel... ( luminosity/greyscale... )

Unsharp Mask
Amount... 10% - 20% but, no higher...
Radius... 250 pixels... ( calling all edges... )
Threshold... 1

Unsharp Mask
Amount... 100%
Radius... 1.4 pixels
Threshold... 1

Convert Mode
To... RGB Color Mode

Gaussian Blur
Radius... 1.8

Edit/Fade...
Opacity... 100%
Mode... Color
Amount... 100%

try it... you might like...
Seethegrim
You guys sharpen images? huh.gif Why would you need to? Unless I've been living ignorantly for the past 3 years to this 'crucial' step of processing.
smalltrees
sharpening... good reading here...

sharpening... and more reading...

willainsworth.com
I find the best way to use photoshop, duplicate layer (ctrl + j ) then fliter > other > Hi pass, set it low around 3 -6 then change in layers panel (on the right) from normal to overlay. hope this helps...
Jag_Imaging
I use unsharp mask since that was what I was shown in school..Works well
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.