Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: low on mtx oil...
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
bobo27
So a while ago, September of 2010 I had an engine rebuild on my 2.3 Mazda 3. While the shop (Michigan Motor Exchange in Westland, MI) was doing that, and drive train was disassembled, they noticed my clutch was worn, and called me to ask if I wanted to get it replaced. I said sure, and they put in a EXEDY OEM Replacement Clutch MZK1003. I picked up my car from them on 10/11/2010 and so far it has been ok, the clutch was a bit weird at times... Yesterday while on the highway to NAIAS, my gear poped out of its place, out of 5th, and i drove back home on 4th. A few friends told me that it was either the syncro or the gear it self, and also to change the mtx oil asap. So i did that and while draining the old one, less than a coffee's cup came out, and the car requires a tad bit over 3 quarts... So i have been driving since October, to now with very low mtx fluid, and have put less than 2000 miles on the new clutch and rebuild motor. Now there is the proper amount of fluid in there, it shifts good, and it has not poped out of gear... Should I be worried?

this is what came out:
Aircooled
Maybe not? How many miles?
redls1bird
Personally, I see your options as:

#1 Assume its fukt, rebuild/replace it.

#2 Hope its ok, drive it till it actually is fukt, rebuild/replace it.

I go for #2
skr
I would be worried that your 5th gear + synchro might be worn due to friction and heat, but a high quality fluid usually helps a lot in these situations. I've read and seen situations where 3rd gear grinds were stopped because of fluid replacement. But that doesn't mean their 3rd gear isn't f'd up.

So yes, I'd be worried to an extent, but no, I wouldn't take action right away if things are smoothed out for the moment. I say change your fluids often, and use a magnetic drain plug to help catch any metal shavings that may have resulted. Be prepared for a transmisison rebuild(1-5th gear synchros, and 5th gear) if things start to mess up in the future.
clarkma5
VW claims the manual transmission fluid in my car is lifetime, but it's apparent that it needs to be changed every 40,000 miles. I discovered this at 55,000 miles. It takes 2 liters of gear oil and when I did the change a little over 1 liter came out. I really wish I had discovered the recommended-but-not-published transmission fluid change interval earlier but I did the change with new fluid and my transmission seems to be pretty good. Granted, having 60% of your gear oil left is a lot better than 10%...

If you put new fluid in there and things seem to feel good again, I'd be tempted to just say you're OK and drive it.
dukenukem
Someone told me that all newish VW have a sealed gearbox and you need to take it to the stealer to get the oil changed. Is that true?

Also, bobo .. try putting some motul gear oil. I have heard a lot of reviews of guys with grinding gears who said the oil alleviated a lot of the grinding and noise.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 18 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Someone told me that all newish VW have a sealed gearbox and you need to take it to the stealer to get the oil changed. Is that true?

Nope, depending how "newish" you mean.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Jan 18 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Nope, depending how "newish" you mean.

Someone told me their 03-04ish Passat had a sealed gearbox and you can't change the oil without some fancy schmancy equipment.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 18 2011, 05:32 PM) *
Someone told me their 03-04ish Passat had a sealed gearbox and you can't change the oil without some fancy schmancy equipment.

Strange. I can re-fluid the DSG without the stealership's permission if I so desire... probably will when I get to that point. Ridiculously overpriced operation, that is.
clarkma5
Draining my car's gear oil is a breeze; honestly, a gear oil change is easier than an oil change. I never attempted any services on my '02's tiptronic, I suspect it may have been more difficult but I don't know.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 18 2011, 02:44 PM) *

they told me the same thing... but it was just two tamper proof plugs. I drained mine at 90K and it was clean without any dirt...
bobo27
Would it be possible to do the entire engine rebuild and clutch replacement, without daring the mtx fluid? I changed it prior to the whole fiasco, and put 3 quarts of the really good stuff. Between this engine job and now, there has been no work done to the trany at all... changed the oil a couple of times, did my winter tire swap. Car is always in same spot at house, I would have noticed any leaks, but there has been none. The guy at Michigan Motor told me that they have did not touch the trany fluid, but for there to be so little someone would have to unplug the drain or maybe something they did and obviously not admitting. Just trying to trace all possible scenarios to see why there was such a low level of fluid, its not making scene.
Bjorn
I thought that with transmissions you had to flush them to get all the fluid out, since there isn't a drain pan like on an engine . . . Maybe the fluid is still in there.
clarkma5
Mine just drains. I put in 2 quarts last year, drained it recently and got the majority of 2 quarts out of it.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 20 2011, 05:56 PM) *
I thought that with transmissions you had to flush them to get all the fluid out, since there isn't a drain pan like on an engine . . . Maybe the fluid is still in there.

It's less of a problem to get it all out with a manual trans. It's all right there in the gears. Automatic trans is all throughout the valvebody, torque converter, and pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.