Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a project car
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Bjorn
I think I want a new project car (I'll find somewhere to put it). After some serious thought I think I really like the idea of turning an old Volvo 240 wagon into something seriously quick. Not sure how to do it yet (Mustang V8 is documented on the internets, and is very tempting), but I have been looking for the car without much luck.

My inspiration:

Where do you find cars these days?

I have checked local sites like craigslist.ca and kijiji.ca without finding anything. Ebay is little help either, just a mess of people selling shit. Autotrader is a pain in the ass too, keeps on forcing me to look at local listings.
fiber optic
I passed up 2 sweet 240 wagons that popped up on Craigslist here. I think they were both sub 1000 USD cars. I was thinking of LS2 power for one.

Surprisingly enough the pricing on ebay is better, even when I restrict the search to stuff closer to me. The craigslist people in general think pretty highly of their crap.
Bjorn
Yeah, I have been having fun popping around the US on craigslist, lots of 240s, some $500ers, but lots of $3,000 which is absurd.

Maybe I just can't use ebay properly. All I get is page after page of people selling car covers.
fiber optic
I don't know if the canadian ebay differs from the one here but you can restrict the search to "Cars and Trucks". Naturally there's always idiots that can't categorize properly but usually there's not too much extra BS.

Currently it only found seven 240s and only a couple of those are wagons.
MustangAficionado
My roomie and I recently built one, but the thing was definitely rusting and creaking apart. He suggested craisglist too.
moe
Get a 914, you know you want to.
Bjorn
^I do, I really do, but a 914 would be more than $10,000 to put right. They are skyrocketing in popularity, and price; in addition parts are horrendously expensive.

I figure I could have an awesome Volvo 245 V8 for somewhere in the $5-10K range, which will make me happy for right now.
moe
How about an MX5...with a V8...
Bjorn
They're really $$ here. Maybe because they are all garage queens thanks to our -30 C winters. Even an 89 or 90 is gonna run about $7,000.

I would bet I can get a running 245 and drive it home for less than $1,500. But that might be a pipe dream. Step two would be getting a written off Mustang GT 5-speed (for the engine and transmission) from SGI (the public insurance provider in the next province over). Some looking yesterday found several written off mid 90s examples for less than $500.
dukenukem
Put a full race twinscroll kit on your LGT.
goota
whatever you get. Turbodiesel it.
fiber optic
QUOTE(goota @ Jan 12 2011, 01:35 AM) *
whatever you get. Turbodiesel it.

moe
^ Not feeling the whole rust thing, but otherwise awesome.
fiber optic
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 12 2011, 09:20 AM) *
^ Not feeling the whole rust thing, but otherwise awesome.

That's the original paint, Aztec Bronze.
EDIT: After 34 years of California sun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.