Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winterizing
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bankE46
I know theres a lot of DS'ers in the north, so who has winterized their rides? What kinds of setup are you using this year and hows it working out so far?

I've got the M riding on a set of 17" ASA JH3's wrapped in Dunlop Graspics. I found the total package on craigslist for a mere $420 tard.gif so I jumped on it and picked them up next day. They've only got one season's use on them because the owner upgraded to a new 550 with a different bolt pattern. I haven't had a chance to try them out in serious weather yet, but I'm pretty damn sure I would have either been stuck home all winter or killed myself if I left the 18s on there with the PS2s!

Winter mode: (damn road salt mad.gif )
Razor
Same VW 18" rims, but now with Blizzak LM-25 goodness.
clarkma5
My summer performance tires are approaching their wear bars and my wipers are two years old! Muahahaha.
Lancer007
Haha, it's hard living in this part of the country eh clarkma?
clarkma5
Damned tricky.
b0mb3r
I just got a set of VW 16" rims with all-season tires. They do good for the weather that we get here during winter...oh and i put in orange rain-x washer fluid :-)
bankE46
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 4 2011, 05:12 PM) *
Damned tricky.

ಠ_ಠ
Bjorn
I was planning to get a new set of snow tires and wheels with my Legacy, since my Michelin X-Ices on 15s wouldn't fit, but money has been tight lately, so I have just been driving on my all-season 16s.

The AWD compensates a little for not having proper tires, in terms of driving away from a stop, but stopping is just like any other car — bad.
dukenukem
Michelin pilot sport a/s on stock bbs 17" wheels. Kc doesn't really warrant snow tires.
bankE46
Huge blizzard yesterday.. got the day off from work but I had to come in this morning. According to the weather service we got about 27"! After about 30 mins of digging I was able to free the M, and the new snow tires were a blast around town! biggrin.gif

dukenukem
Rock on!! I was out drifting in the snow on Monday when we got dumped with a foot of snow. Fun times smile.gif
VVTL-i GT-S
Drive the beater, just like everyday...15" Enkei w/Nitto NT450...it kinda works...only in light snow (3"/less)...
911xx
My red car is a brownish gray during winter time. Plus I drive it in and out of a heated indoor garage, witch should make it rust even faster!
cran.gif dry.gif
porsche944

After I've already been out and backed into the spot i was in when it came down... Obv have to get out the passenger side. I am very happy with my decision to put big knobbly pickup truck tires on the van. With its sizable torque, its quite the beast in even deep unplowed snow.
Synesthesia
Finally got around to uploading some pictures, after dealing with lots of annoying TPMS research/fiddling... Braid Winrace A w/ Continental ExtremeContact DWS

All nice and clean:

Being put to use:

Bjorn
Not my car, but the extent of this year's winter modifications.

Coated the frame in rust-proofing gunk, fitted a tire with lots of tred on the front, and ziptied the back.

b0mb3r
is that a fixed gear?
Bjorn
Yeah . . . for simplicity, not hipster cred.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 23 2011, 09:14 PM) *
Yeah . . . for simplicity, not hipster cred.

Hipster status confirmed.
Bjorn
I would deny it, but denial of hipsterism is a sure sign of hipsterism.
moe
^ That's pretty ironic, you must be a hipster.

Also, sad realization about my new job. There is absolutely NO place to park without either buying a space or paying an hourly rate for parking. I will be taking the train from now on sad.gif
bankE46
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 24 2011, 10:56 AM) *
^ That's pretty ironic, you must be a hipster.

Also, sad realization about my new job. There is absolutely NO place to park without either buying a space or paying an hourly rate for parking. I will be taking the train from now on sad.gif

At least you never have to waste money on snow tires!
dukenukem
On a random note, I was recommended this product to protect my new coilovers from winter crap.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/corrosion_pg/LPS3.html

It forms a transparent film that is supposed to be good for upto 2 years though I would just spray the exposed metal bits every year and go from there.
BlackJack
^It looks good, but it states for indoor use only so idk how it would be good for the car.

I have all season on my Jeep and they're good enough for now. In the summer or after I get my tax refund check, I plan to slap on 35" tires with 2.5" lift. Fuck yeah.
dukenukem
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Jan 24 2011, 11:48 AM) *
^It looks good, but it states for indoor use only so idk how it would be good for the car.

I have all season on my Jeep and they're good enough for now. In the summer or after I get my tax refund check, I plan to slap on 35" tires with 2.5" lift. Fuck yeah.

Quite a few people have used it on their coilovers with good effects.
bankE46
Got another 12" of snow last night. What a great drive into work! Middletown was like a playground and I had 3 lanes of packed snow on the highway to myself while everyone else huddled together on the cleared lane. woot.gif

Semi-buried M:

The calm before the storm of drifts:

b0mb3r
that's all we good:

but it was enough where my car would not make it out biggrin.gif and I had to work from home happy2.gif
Bjorn
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Jan 27 2011, 08:41 AM) *
The calm before the storm of drifts:

Starting to look like Winnipeg.
porsche944
Unburrowing this morning, was taken aback by how pretty the property looked.

bankE46
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Jan 27 2011, 01:16 PM) *

Are your front tires on backwards?
porsche944
I never noticed the tread went different ways o.0 Probably standard rotation? idk ill have to ask my dad; he touched em last
Bjorn
Canadian winter shot.

We just got 25cm of now in these parts.
speedyK
I tried spiked tyres for the first time this week

Not my usual ride though.

A mid-engined, 420kg, 1 litre motorbike-engined 150 bhp car with 6-speed paddle shift - around an ice and snow circuit.

After a morning's training, we had a 2-hour race, 7 cars, with 4 drivers for each car, each driver undertaking two 15 minute stints.

At lunch, before the race, we learned that our team was slowest in warm-up. An ispection of the cars gave us a clue as to why.

The pic of the spikes above is from a rival car – as is this. Clusters of three spikes all around the outer tread blocks on the outer and inner tread surface:

In contrast, our car had just the occasional spike scattered here and there! huh.gif

We made it our goal to NOT finish 7th (last).

Our car before the race

In action

Here it was a blind crest which dropped steeply down into a right-hander before a left hairpin so tight that you could only get the car round by using the throttle to bring the rear round

There were some very narrow and very bumpy parts of the track. I figured those with better grip could out accelerate us, out-brake us and get through turns quicker, so the only chance we had was to drive faster on the bumpy parts.

Our first driver clipped a snow wall and lost the rear valance. On my first stint, I went so fast over the bumpy part (helmet banging hard on both the B post and the central helmet stay post) that the rear clam fell off. While another of our drivers was at the wheel, the engine cover flew away. On my last stint, flat out through the bumpy section, the front clam fell off ( I didn't hit anything, as the continued presence of the front valance showed). This way, we improved our power:weight ratio biggrin.gif

Our car at the end of the race:

We didn't come last thumbs_up.gif

Not 6th

Not 5th

We were beaten for 3rd place (after 2 hours of racing) by two seconds.

Great fun and I want to try again – but next time with more spikes! dry.gif

I travelled to the event in the C4S on its Pirelli sottozero winter tyres. Superb traction. Next month I'm taking it to drive it in an ice event – but will be a little more restrained cool.gif

Synesthesia
Well that looks like a ton of fun! What country was this in Speedy?
speedyK
It was in Switzerland.

My other cars with winter tyres are my Peugeot 106 GTI – on Rallye steel rims (just had them refurbished for this winter) With Continental winter tyres

My Smart Brabus Roadster-Coupé – on a second set of Brabus rims and Pirelli Sottozeros

and, of course, my trusty Durango – on Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres – for when the going gets seriously tough

Bjorn
I would love to find a set of rally rims for my winter tires, but I can't seem to find a place in Canada, on the internet, that will give me a quote on a set.

All the wheel shops here sell shitty chrome 22s, and heavy "ricer" wheels for four bolt civics.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 30 2011, 04:57 PM) *
I would love to find a set of rally rims for my winter tires, but I can't seem to find a place in Canada, on the internet, that will give me a quote on a set.

All the wheel shops here sell shitty chrome 22s, and heavy "ricer" wheels for four bolt civics.

Look at my post. wink.gif
Bjorn
^sweet. Thanks.
shandyman5
QUOTE(speedyK @ Jan 30 2011, 01:34 PM) *
It was in Switzerland.

My other cars with winter tyres are my Peugeot 106 GTI – on Rallye steel rims (just had them refurbished for this winter) With Continental winter tyres

My Smart Brabus Roadster-Coupé – on a second set of Brabus rims and Pirelli Sottozeros

and, of course, my trusty Durango – on Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres – for when the going gets seriously tough

Why submit the Porsche to snow if you have all of these other options to drive in the winter?
SwissWhiskey
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Feb 1 2011, 05:22 AM) *
Why submit the Porsche to snow if you have all of these other options to drive in the winter?

Because he can.
shandyman5
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Feb 1 2011, 01:22 PM) *
Because he can.

Just because he can doesn't mean he should...... especially with all of his other options.
speedyK
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Feb 1 2011, 05:22 AM) *

About 70% of the Porsches sold in Switzerland are 4wd, like my C4S. They don't all hibernate! biggrin.gif

Anyway, putting the Porsche on winter tyres was also an excuse to get a set of Turbo II rims – looking forward to these going on in Spring thumbs_up.gif

dukenukem
QUOTE(speedyK @ Feb 1 2011, 02:22 PM) *
About 70% of the Porsches sold in Switzerland are 4wd, like my C4S. They don't all hibernate! biggrin.gif

Anyway, putting the Porsche on winter tyres was also an excuse to get a set of Turbo II rims – looking forward to these going on in Spring thumbs_up.gif

Is your daughter old enough to get married?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 1 2011, 03:45 PM) *

LOL
shandyman5
QUOTE(speedyK @ Feb 1 2011, 03:22 PM) *

So you did it more because you enjoy driving it and because of that you wanna drive it all year round? I am asking because you have other cars you can drive in the winter. With those options why subject the 911 to salt, and grime, and dirt if you can keep it clean, and not subject it to possible paint damage etc.
speedyK
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 1 2011, 09:45 PM) *

cool.gif Off topic! biggrin.gif

I've got two daughters! One is 18 and the other is 20.

Here's the older one at 18

And the younger one at 17

Can you keep them in the manner to which they are accustomed? keke.gif
speedyK
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Feb 1 2011, 09:51 PM) *
So you did it more because you enjoy driving it and because of that you wanna drive it all year round? I am asking because you have other cars you can drive in the winter. With those options why subject the 911 to salt, and grime, and dirt if you can keep it clean, and not subject it to possible paint damage etc.

I want a fast, comfortable, sporting car to use all year round. My 300ZX Twin Turbo could not be fitted with winter tyres because my local authorities would not permit it (and would not have had great traction anyway). I intended to replace it with a GT-R – but there have been endless issues in Europe with the GT-R and that swung me to the C4S (after a brief flirt with a V12 Aston).

The whole family hate the Porsche image, but appreciate its abilities. It is superbly competent.
dukenukem
QUOTE(speedyK @ Feb 1 2011, 03:16 PM) *
cool.gif Off topic! biggrin.gif

I've got two daughters! One is 18 and the other is 20.

Here's the older one at 18

And the younger one at 17

Can you keep them in the manner to which they are accustomed? keke.gif

You would be surprised how quickly people get accustomed to new manners. DS_Naughty2.gif

Also, congratulations on you/ your wife having a pretty good gene pool. Your daughters look lovely. smile.gif
shandyman5
QUOTE(speedyK @ Feb 1 2011, 04:20 PM) *
I want a fast, comfortable, sporting car to use all year round. My 300ZX Twin Turbo could not be fitted with winter tyres because my local authorities would not permit it (and would not have had great traction anyway). I intended to replace it with a GT-R – but there have been endless issues in Europe with the GT-R and that swung me to the C4S (after a brief flirt with a V12 Aston).

The whole family hate the Porsche image, but appreciate its abilities. It is superbly competent.

Thank you. blush.gif I just needed clarification. C4S>GTR anyway!
bankE46
Ice storm on tuesday night, took me 30 mins to carefully chip it all off! oh.gif

P.S. SpeedyK - I'd gladly have you as a father-in-law tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.