Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Christmas present
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
dukenukem
I bought myself some custom spec'd AST coilovers for the STI. I have been lusting after them for a very very long time now and finally they went on sale and I jumped on the opportunity.

They are based on AST 4100 series of coilovers but the valving has been changed entirely to suit the USDM STI. One of the things I loved about these CO were the development of the CO was kept as open as possible with a ton of information made public that almost no other coilover company has done. This way can understand what you are buying rather than just reading some hype on a website.

I should be receiving them in a couple of weeks once the valving job is done.

Some of the more technical threads that were spawned during the creation of these coil overs

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-...ntrol-more.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/vendor-announc...hole-we-go.html

Bjorn
Nice.

I would love to change the suspension on the Legacy, but don't know what that would do to my warranty. I would love to be able to change my ride height for snow and summer driving.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Dec 30 2010, 10:47 AM) *
Nice.

I would love to change the suspension on the Legacy, but don't know what that would do to my warranty. I would love to be able to change my ride height for snow and summer driving.

It would void your warranty claim related to your suspension only. And even then its only if the stealership can prove your aftermarket parts is what caused a specific part failure.
Altostratus
Mmmmmmmmm sexy
misnblu
Very nice coilovers.
You going to anything like pillow ball mounts and some camber plates? That's when it really makes it fun.
Good luck with your setup. smile.gif
dukenukem
QUOTE(misnblu @ Jan 9 2011, 05:38 PM) *
Very nice coilovers.
You going to anything like pillow ball mounts and some camber plates? That's when it really makes it fun.
Good luck with your setup. smile.gif

Hopefully by spring time I should be able to save up for vorshlag camber plates front and rear. That's another 800$ I need to save. X.gif
b0mb3r
I take it these will be wonderful on your track days?
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jan 10 2011, 07:11 PM) *
I take it these will be wonderful on your track days?

The guys who designed the coilovers did all of the following with basically their standard spec coilovers with slightly firmer springs on the race car

2009 RTA Street AWD National Champs
2009 RTA Street Eastern Division Champs
2009 One Lap of America 1st in class
2009 One Lap of America 4th overall
2009 One Lap of America Rookie of the Year
2010 RTA Modified AWD Eastern Division Champs

I sure as hell hope they do well on the track. smile.gif
ShinRa
go dumped or go home biatch
dukenukem
QUOTE(ShinRa @ Jan 11 2011, 07:36 AM) *
go dumped or go home biatch

Fucking canadians. canadian.gif Raspberry.gif
dukenukem
They are here!!!!!
b0mb3r
pics or it did not happen
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jan 12 2011, 07:08 PM) *
pics or it did not happen

Will open the box after dinner. Raspberry.gif
goota
install that shit! we want to see what it looks like on the car
dukenukem

Didn't take them out entirely yet but they are oh so pretty. happy2.gif
bankE46
but.. but.. santa claus doesn't visit brown people!

but seriously, those look like an awesome buy and I can't wait to see the STi's new stance!
dukenukem
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Jan 13 2011, 08:43 AM) *
but.. but.. santa claus doesn't visit brown people!

but seriously, those look like an awesome buy and I can't wait to see the STi's new stance!

A quote from the product description:
The few more details:

* These are NOT for slamming your car!!! If that's all you're interested in then go elsewhere. These were designed and massaged with performance being the foremost thought in our minds. Since Imprezas actually handle worse when slammed then we didn't even consider tucking the tires.

Their recommended ride height is 14" up front and 13.5" at the rear .. so the car will really be only slightly lower than what it is right now. Hex might be disappointed.
clarkma5
Hex was already disappointed that you didn't put deep-dish '80s BBSs on your Impreza.
misnblu
Are you going to corner balance the car once you put these on?
Like everybody we're all dying to see it on the car. laugh.gif

I'm in the process of changing up the daily drivers suspension with H&R springs for a one inch drop and some KYB products for the finishing touches. Like you, I'm giddy with getting the parts and putting them on. biggrin.gif
That first drive is going to be fun as yours will too.

I'll send you some popcorn in anticipation of having our first drives with the new setups. smile.gif
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 13 2011, 08:20 AM) *
A quote from the product description:
The few more details:

* These are NOT for slamming your car!!! If that's all you're interested in then go elsewhere. These were designed and massaged with performance being the foremost thought in our minds. Since Imprezas actually handle worse when slammed then we didn't even consider tucking the tires.

Their recommended ride height is 14" up front and 13.5" at the rear .. so the car will really be only slightly lower than what it is right now. Hex might be disappointed.

I now afford you props
dukenukem
QUOTE(misnblu @ Jan 13 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Are you going to corner balance the car once you put these on?
Like everybody we're all dying to see it on the car. laugh.gif

I'm in the process of changing up the daily drivers suspension with H&R springs for a one inch drop and some KYB products for the finishing touches. Like you, I'm giddy with getting the parts and putting them on. biggrin.gif
That first drive is going to be fun as yours will too.

I'll send you some popcorn in anticipation of having our first drives with the new setups. smile.gif

I want to corner balance them but surprise surprise there is no shop that does corner balancing in KC that I know of.

That said I am still weighing my options regarding getting all out camber plates or stiff Group-N rubber mounts since they will help with reducing the noise and some of the ride harshness while being better than stock rubber tops.

Spring can't come soon enough so I can really throw the car around some bends. smile.gif
misnblu
I can tell you from two cars having either pillow mounts or camber plates the ride is not harsh at all on either.
It's actually better than stock with the ride quality.
It's going to depend on the spring rate and damping but with the setup you've got they should already be metered to your car. So really you shouldn't have to worry about a harsh ride but some feedback from your experience is necessary though. smile.gif
b0mb3r
say what? is not the whole point of coilovers to get them corner balanced? since I am too lazy I just stick with springs and shocks.
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jan 14 2011, 09:12 AM) *
say what? is not the whole point of coilovers to get them corner balanced? since I am too lazy I just stick with springs and shocks.

Corner balancing coilovers will give the last bit of performance advantage that they offer. It is in no way mandatory to do so.
b0mb3r
O RLY? All the coilover fanbois stated that if you don't corner balance them, you will end up with different spring rates and funky handling.
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jan 14 2011, 01:29 PM) *
O RLY? All the coilover fanbois idiots stated that if you don't corner balance them, you will end up with different spring rates and funky handling.

Fixed.

the point of corner balancing is to ensure that all 4 wheels have equal or near equal amount of weight pressing down on them. Spring rates are defined by the springs you use ( until you hit bumpstops in which case they go to infinity).

Here is an excellent article on corner balancing.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/cornerbalance.htm

While corner balancing is preferred its true value will only been seen when you are pushing 9/10 or more on a race track.
dukenukem
After consulting with 2 of the most well respected vendors/ suspension gurus I have decided camber plates on a daily driven car that is going to see snow and salt is just not worth it. Instead I am going to go with the next best thing, Whiteline Com C mounts

It gives me extra caster and camber and I can fine tune the rest using camber bolts. Should get me -2 camber up front which is more than enough for daily driver.

For rears its going to be Group-N hardened rubber mounts.
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php...products_id=607
misnblu
Whiteline makes some awesome products.
Those mounts look great and first time I've seen where you can adjust camber and caster on one mount. Nice.
Nice products by Turning Concepts too.
dukenukem
This is how the car sits right now..

The ride height is set at 13.5" in the front and 13" in the rear. I am going to try and hike up the rear by another 0.5" to see if it smooths out the ride even more.

The alignment specs are:

Front Left: Front Right
Camber -2.2 -2.1
Caster 5.2 5.3
Toe 0.00 -0.06
SAI 17.2 16.3

Rear Left: Rear Right
Camber -1.7 -2.0
Toe 0.01 -0.04
Razor
Perfect height and camber. Low but without HERRA FRUSH GÜDNUZZ.
bankE46
I demand better photos.
dukenukem
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Mar 22 2011, 08:15 AM) *
I demand better photos.

So do I. I just need to get a camera now.
dukenukem
Here is my half assed review of the coilovers. There will be lots of incoherent babbling so beware.

Build quality:
===========
As expected for $2400 coiloves the build quality is top notch. The coilovers shipped without the tophats because I got them through Hyrdolix and saved a ton of cash. A++++ for him. biggrin.gif Everything came wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap to make sure there was no metal on metal contact because everyone know that is just gay.

Install
=====
There were no issues with installing the coilovers. Everything went in where it should without problems. The couplers for the rear adjusters need to be tightened using godzirra strength but besides that no problems whatsoever.

Ride Quality
==========
On to the important part .. how do they ride?

I have no tracked/ autocrossed them yet but will be doing so April 3rd. however these are my impression of them having daily driven them for 10 days or so

Initially, I had set the ride height at 13.5" up front and 13" in the rear with the damping set up at 2 from full soft both front and back. Mind you, the ride height is 0.5" lower than what TIC recommend. The car looked pretty nice at this ride height. People who saw it at the last BWW meet can feel free to disagree. tongue.gif
Anyways, the ride quality on the highways at speed is as good as stock on smooth roads and a bit bouncy on less than perfect roads. The bounciness was not harsh as it would be due to overdamped shocks but much softer telling me I was hitting the bumpstops over some of the undulating roads.
One thing I would like to clarify is even with the bounciness the car rode pretty close to stock. The ride quality is perfectly livable especially considering the fact that the spring rates are almost twice that of stock springs.

Current setup
===========
Front Left: Front Right
Camber -2.2 -2.1
Caster 5.2 5.3
Toe 0.00 -0.06
SAI 17.2 16.3

Rear Left: Rear Right
Camber -1.7 -1.8
Toe 0.01 -0.04

Ride Height: Front and Rear 13.5" from center of wheel cap to fender wall

Front sway bar: 24mm solid up front and 24mm solid in the rear.

Since there is area for improvement I decided to heed TIC's advice and bump up the ride height to 13.5" in the rear. The improvement in ride quality is instantly apparent. The car is LOT more settled over bumpy roads at high speed and at low speed, you will still feel the bumps but they are not bone jarring as one would expect from coilovers. Turn-in and body roll are GREATLY improved thanks to the added castor and camber. Even with all-season tires I can take clover-leaf turn for going from 435E to 69N at over 55mph and the car is perfectly stable with no body roll or front end push. I love it!

One more thing to add is I have not heard a single clunk, pop or any other noise coming from the coilovers. Color me impressed.

shandyman5
Congrats Duke!

Hot chick as well! I think she is a British model right?
dukenukem
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 25 2011, 04:29 PM) *
Congrats Duke!

Hot chick as well! I think she is a British model right?

Gemma Atkinson. She likes Guiness and I would like to do many naughty things with/ to her.
shandyman5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 25 2011, 06:24 PM) *
Gemma Atkinson. She likes Guiness and I would like to do many naughty things with/ to her.

That's right, I knew I had seen her before! She is slamming! There is another British model who is smoking as well.... I think her name is Lucy Pinder. She has some damn good photos both in lingerie and nude.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.