hexagone
Sorry for the low quality pics:

[IMG]http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/36/IMAG0424.jpg[/IMG
Asher
beautiful.
b0mb3r
damn that is MINT! congrads thumbs_up.gif
hexagone
Holy shit, I love this car. There is some undescribable charm about it, and I love driving it. It's not fast, but rowing through the gears and getting the M42 up in RPMs is just a hoot. It needs absolutely nothing, as I went through the receipts and it probably has had $15k of maintenance done at a single dealership since 1991.
Bjorn
I know it's a 3 series, but what are the details?

I thought I spotted some M colours on the gear knob, but I thought E30 M3s had big assed wheel arches . . .
Aircooled
E30 318is in brilliantrot. The s indicates sport of course and includes the little spoiler on the back, different front lip, non bottle cap wheels, sport seats of which the drivers side looks slightly beat, but is typical of cars this age. I would think this example probably has around 130k+ miles, judging by the seats and possibly garage kept. The odometer gears are a common failure on e30s, many owners usually put several hundred miles or more before replacing them if they do at all. When they don't its a guaranteed red flag on the carfax. Tan interior which is pretty common, I love the cardinal red and black interiors. A common mod is to switch out with an M3 knob.

Looks like there is a crack on the dash above the glove box, pretty common. Air bag steering wheels came on the sports in the later years, I myself prefer the thin 3 spoke wheels found on earlier sports.

There's pretty much two types of e30 owners, ones who love the the 4 cylinder, and ones who love the the six with few in between. 4 cyl guys always rag that the six has a timing belt that needs to be changed at regular intervals, which is true but e30s and bmws in general are higher maintenance cars and bmws like to have new water pumps and their coolant flushed so its really not that bad, it promotes better maintenance. M42's have chains which need less attention and some owners tend to let other things go as a result. The timing belt is really the only weak point on the m20 six, keep changing it every 60k and you're golden. The sixes are good to 200k easily and its not uncommon for some eta cars to be puttering around with 400k+ miles without a rebuild. The 4 cyls are known to have profile gasket issues and the occasional chain tensioner issue but for the most part are reliable engines as well they will also do 200K+ with few issues. M42 engines do weigh a bit less and the owners like to say their cars are more tossable than the m20 cars which is probably true to a point. It's nearly impossible to get 180 n/a hp out of a four and still be a reliable street car where the m20b25 (in the 325i and is) is 171 stock and has more torque as well.

E30s are what I believe to be one the the greatest generations of the 3 series. They are however old, the newest e30 is already 20 years old and its hard to find them that are rust free, interiors are not completely beat etc. A friend of mine is a tech at a bmw dealership and tells me that there is a guy who brings in a 60k mile e30 year after year that is in mint condition so there are some out there. You run into a lot of things going bad due to the age that can sometimes be difficult to diagnose such as fuel pumps and mysterious electrical issues etc. The rear suspension is fairly simple and is prone to bump steer but its just a part of learning the cars quirks. A properly maintained E30 is a marvelous machine, light, nimble, communicative, with decent power. It has something that newer bmws fail to deliver, as previously stated. It is truly an ultimate driving machine.

I myself have been looking for an e30 to replace the jetta, I've seen them overpriced, beat to hell, and some good deals that my parents just fail to see. Once I get out of school and have my own car insurance policy I'll probably get and 325is and an ix for winter and an M3 in the future.

It looks like Hex has found a clean car, but they are quirky old german cars so it'll be interesting to see how long he holds onto it. At least he has the right car to put those BBSs he had on his e46.
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Dec 31 2010, 08:57 AM) *
It looks like Hex has found a clean car, but they are quirky old german cars so it'll be interesting to see how long he holds onto it. At least he has the right car to put those BBSs he had on his e46.

I'm no stranger to quirky old german cars. But from the getgo, this one is the most promising to not quirk me around too much. And those BBSs on the e46 were 18s... wouldn't fit (unfortunately).

I gotta get a new knob.. the car has the M knob pictured, but has tears around the plastic logo. And also, yeah there's a crack in the dash, but it's nice and symmetrical and not too obtrusive.
nismo
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Dec 31 2010, 11:57 AM) *
At least he has the right car to put those BBSs he had on his e46.

Please tell me it will be lowered on the RS's after winter thumbs_up.gif
hexagone
QUOTE(nismo @ Dec 31 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Please tell me it will be lowered on the RS's after winter thumbs_up.gif

I have even cooler stuff in line thumbs_up.gif
Razor
An old Bimmer with an interior that doesn't look like torn hooker labia (bennay tongue.gif )...? Win!
Altostratus
Hahahahhahahahh. Hooker labia.....
clarkma5
It looks lovely but I'll try not to get too attached.
goota
very nice, time to start bleeding money into it smile.gif
Aircooled
How's the coilover install going?
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Mar 27 2011, 02:56 PM) *
How's the coilover install going?

How did you know DS_Naughty2.gif
Aircooled
r3v
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Mar 27 2011, 03:56 PM) *
r3v

In that case, yeah it went awful.

Most of the screws that held shit in place either sheared off, stripped, or were seized. And then I realized I somehow installed the threaded collar upside down and now I have to unbutton everything and flip the threaded piece. Since this happened, I just went ahead and ordered new sway bar bushings, brackets, links, screws strut mounts and tie rod links for both sides. So I'll have replaced everything up front except the control arms, which according to the stack of receipts were replaced in 2005 like 30k miles ago.

Then I also bought a griot's buffing kit and will touch up all the scrapes and chips, do a bit of wet sanding and repolish the entire car. 205/50/15 Falkens came in, which will be mated to the BBS RSs that I'm awaiting parts for in 15x8 and 15x8.5.

Yeah, doing everything at once.
Aircooled
Did you get that cheap JOM kit?

Also its probably time to change the car listed under your name. It's been awhile since you've had a 16v.
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Mar 27 2011, 04:37 PM) *
Did you get that cheap JOM kit?

Also its probably time to change the car listed under your name. It's been awhile since you've had a 16v.

Yes.

Any Billy/H&R setup wouldn't be anywhere low enough to what I want it (don't worry, no stretched tires here), and are more expensive. To get a custom GC/threaded setup I'd be going easily over a grand, which is kinda hard to justify since it's more than 50% of what I paid for the car.

Otherwise... I put 3000 miles on it from Jan 1st to Feb 1st. Not a single hiccup.

.... except for the water pump that blew a few weeks ago that I replaced. Oh BMWs, you never cease to eat water pumps.
hexagone
OHirtenfelder
dry.gif not so sure...let's see how it turns out dry.gif
Aircooled
Needs moar masking tape and black spraypaint.
b0mb3r
nice wheels thumbs_up.gif
hexagone
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Apr 1 2011, 05:40 AM) *
Needs moar masking tape and black spraypaint.

Yeah I need to get to that. It's the rustproofing coating.
hexagone
Spring is here, and we had a 70+ degree weekend (maybe summer is more like it) and I got to spend it with le car.

While utterly cared for mechanically during its midwest life, the body had been a bit neglected. Scratches, nicks, and a nice hazy chalk-like brilliantrot that was more like brilliantpink were just a few of the problems.

In addition to that, the bumpers and mirrors had completely lost any shine, and were a flaky, dreary looking color. So I took matters into my own hands.

Inspired by this actually:

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10574

Pictures below:

Some minor interior work... but the carpets were more than I could handle

What do we have here? I wonder where this is going..

Couldn't get the bumper torx screws off, even with an impacts, so I improvised:

yours truly

Did some work, and went out that night. Woke up and I believe my goodies were all ready:

about that paint...

It's all in the prep. Do the prep. I couldn't have imagined having to clean all the trim after the work was done...

slowly but surely

You know what really grinds my gears? The stupid fading undercoating. Let's fix that too while waiting on the wax

and I believe something actually came out of all this.

A guy in a 4.8is X5 had come up to me a few moments earlier and asked me if I was selling it

Not too bad for a $20 HVLP gun right? Perfect match too, gotta love single stage

sharp lines

Paint flowed beautifully without having to buff it

what chalky mirrors?

You may have noticed my shitty basketweaves sans caps

Stay tuned and look for another update this Wendsday when these come to life:

Razor
Hex, I gotta say, you've got a beauty on your hands this time. DON'T FUCKING SELL IT THIS TIME, YA' HEAR?
Aircooled
Very nice, need an Mtech steering wheel and read tails now.
b0mb3r
hex i am very impressed with your skills...
shandyman5
Hex, this looks awesome..... please don't hella flush 'tard it... please for the love of god.
SwissWhiskey
I'm already worried about the wheels...
hexagone
no fear.

This is the fitment to expect, tires are 205/50/15.

Razor
No FEAR? 'The FUCK are you smoking?

May your car be the latest target of bird droppings.
hexagone
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 11 2011, 05:27 PM) *
No FEAR? 'The FUCK are you smoking?

May your car be the latest target of bird droppings.

Excuse me sir? Now what is the problem here?
hexagone
MustangAficionado
Ur gunna need a rollbar like the other guy
b0mb3r
you are not using ronals?
hexagone
Also:

TBH, I wish I had gone with a tire brand that doesn't run small (these are Falken 512s) and that I went 215/55 or 215/50 instead of what I have now (205/50). But this is my first time with a lowered e30, and now I see why 16"s are the preferred size. Not to mention that my coils (JOM) are dialed all the way down all around.

No, you can't have the brake fans. Well maybe, but if you have to ask, you probably can't afford them.
DB9
I've definitely seen a lot worse. I think these look pretty good actually.
OHirtenfelder
Dude, that shit is sexy! Don't sell it Hex. Really, don't. No, really...don't do it. Keep this one! For the love of the little, bearded baby Jesus! Do us all a favour! And yourself!
hexagone
awkward turtle

moe
That looks amazing. Nice work Hex.

Think it may be time to find myself an E30 project car.
SwissWhiskey
I was expecting worse... thumbs up! I like it.
Razor
What's wrong with the driver's front wheel?
hexagone
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 14 2011, 10:24 AM) *
What's wrong with the driver's front wheel?

nothing, threw on the wheel fans for pic purposes
Razor
QUOTE(hexagone @ Apr 14 2011, 02:40 PM) *
nothing, threw on the wheel fans for pic purposes

Is there a fourth RS behind it?
Altostratus
you are thick sometimes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.