Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a new Mac
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
ekkoj
I've been thinking about switching from PC to Mac for a while now, and after installing PS CS4 I think I need to do it as soon as possible.

But I'm unsure of which Mac to get. Obviously I'm on a budget, I can spend up to around 2200 usd, but given the fact that the 15" Macbook Pro retails at around 2450 usd here in Norway, my budget sort of limits me a bit.

Now, I need the mac for editing pictures and maybe putting together the occasional video shot on my 5d Mk II, ant that's pretty much my only requirements. I really don't need it to be a laptop as I've still got my Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E for whenever I need to travel. Today I do all my editing on the Lifebook hooked up to 2 24" Samsung monitors. The Lifebook runs Win7 on a 2,5 Ghz Intel processor and 4 gb ram ( 3gb effectively as it's 32 bit) It worked fine With CS3, but with CS4 it started to slow down my workflow. Editing videos does not work at all, it's just to slow.

I've looked into a 21,5": 3,2GHz Imac with 4gb ram which fits my budget nicely, but eliminates the use of my two Samsungs. I guess I could hook one of them up to the Imac, but that would just look funny, wouldn't it?

Ideally I guess I could go with the 2,8Ghz 3bg Mac Pro and run the Samsungs, but at 3400 usd it's way out of my price range. Alternatively I could buy the 15" 2,4Ghz 4Gb Macbook Pro at 2450 usd, But I don't know if it's powerful enough to have an effective workflow or if I can hook my two Samsungs up to it, plus I don't really need a laptop.

In fact, I'm confused with how to compare the processor and Gb capacities of the Macs to that of my current computer, and would really like some input on what to buy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GFWilliams
What's the highest spec Mac Mini you can get?

If that's not enough, my 13" Macbook Pro works fine on CS5
ekkoj
QUOTE(GFWilliams @ Dec 21 2010, 12:57 AM) *
What's the highest spec Mac Mini you can get?

If that's not enough, my 13" Macbook Pro works fine on CS5

# 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2 GB

Retails at around 1400 usd. Throw in an extra 500 and I have 4 Gb more Ram.

Will that one do the trick?
GFWilliams
QUOTE(ekkoj @ Dec 20 2010, 11:03 PM) *

I would have thought that would be plenty. Seems the sensible option, although MacBook Pros are very nice to own.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(ekkoj @ Dec 21 2010, 01:03 AM) *

If possible, you should try get something that has the new Intel i5 or i7 processors. Apple doesn't do major upgrades to their hardware as frequently like PC does, so if you're looking for something that will last, rather try get the latest.

Just a thought. Its what stopped me from buying an 'older' Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro & rather putting a bit extra into the i7 processor setup.
ekkoj
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Dec 22 2010, 04:00 PM) *
If possible, you should try get something that has the new Intel i5 or i7 processors. Apple doesn't do major upgrades to their hardware as frequently like PC does, so if you're looking for something that will last, rather try get the latest.

Just a thought. Its what stopped me from buying an 'older' Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro & rather putting a bit extra into the i7 processor setup.

Yeah, i stopped by an Apple-store yesterday and had a talk with them.
I now have my mind set on the cheapest 27" iMac. I'll have to check what processor it has and reconsider if it has the old one.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Martin
QUOTE(ekkoj @ Dec 22 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Yeah, i stopped by an Apple-store yesterday and had a talk with them.
I now have my mind set on the cheapest 27" iMac. I'll have to check what processor it has and reconsider if it has the old one.

Thanks for the advice guys!

How close to the screen do you usually sit? I have the 24" and I think its a little too big to the distance I have at my desk. You shouldn't have to twist the neck just to see the entire screen.
ekkoj
QUOTE(Martin @ Dec 28 2010, 12:49 AM) *
How close to the screen do you usually sit? I have the 24" and I think its a little too big to the distance I have at my desk. You shouldn't have to twist the neck just to see the entire screen.

I dont sit that far away from the screen, maybe 70 cm. But, Im used to working on two 24" screens, so I did want as big screen as possible if I was to replace them with only one.

I put the Samsungs up for sale after I posted this thread, and they were sold the next day. Looking at my desk after the buyer had picked up the screens, it looked so empty that I drove out and bought a 27" iMac.

Takes a bit getting used to and learning all the new shortcuts, but so far Im really impressed with it smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.