Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Someone help me
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
DonJuanMair
I have the tif, covert it to 8 bit and then convert it to srgb and then save the tif and when i re open the tif or the jpeg which i also save in windows picture and fax viewer it looks real dark. When i pull it up in photoshop it looks perfect. I want to order a print but dont want to waste the money on a dark print

can someone help
Seethegrim
Windows Picture Viewer can't read all color spaces as far as I know.

Quick question though: if you're doing a print, why are you converting it to a sRGB? Thats a lower color space than AdobeRGB. Its meant for web, not print.
DonJuanMair
Ah I see. Mpix asks for srgb
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Dec 15 2010, 02:47 AM) *
Windows Picture Viewer can't read all color spaces as far as I know.

Quick question though: if you're doing a print, why are you converting it to a sRGB? Thats a lower color space than AdobeRGB. Its meant for web, not print.

but it should read sRGB as that's by far and away the most common colorspace and virtually every software uses sRGB as their native colorspace. AdobeRGB is great but the problem is MOST programs that aren't made by Adobe can't read them - it uses a proprietary 5 byte per pixel map which most software can't read. And even when it does read it it's often poorly converted into CMYK - here at the magazines I learned a long time ago that my Adobe RGB images never printed properly so I now convert everything to sRGB when I'm done editing.

QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Dec 15 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Ah I see. Mpix asks for srgb

Doesn't surprise me, as I stated above most places don't actually use any other colorspaces. To be honest I wouldn't worry about the preview you're getting in picture/fax viewer - it might be adjusting for your printer or some other peripheral device. I would ask Mpix if they can give you their color profile for you to preview but either way you won't know until it's actually printed. I would do a proof then adjust accordingly. Also don't forget to check your CMYK clipping (ctrl+shift+Y on PC I think - I know it's command+shift+Y on Mac) and CMYK preview (ctrl+Y PC, command+Y Mac) as many times a really nice RGB image translates really poorly into CMYK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.