Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F1 goes Turbo Four Banger in 2013.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
SwissWhiskey
Soon we can all say goodbye to the high-revving V8s currently shrieking their way around the world's Formula One circuits. F1 has officially enacted new rules that require all teams to run a new turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine design by 2013. In addition, the maximum engine speed will be reduced from the current 18,000 rpm to a maximum of 12,000 rpm.

All told, the changes are expected to allow the vehicles to use around 35 percent less fuel than the outgoing eight-pots, even while churning out very similar power numbers. While neither the FIA nor F1 organizers are willing to throw out any solid numbers, there is word that the engines will use high-pressure gasoline injectors that can dump fuel into the combustion chamber at up to 7,251 psi.

Atomization? Yeah, it looks like they've got that covered.

Interestingly enough, F1 is also moving to limit the number of engines (again) that a team can use during a season. Right now, the rules allow for a stable of eight engines, though by 2013, that number will drop to five before falling to four soon after. That would mean on top of nabbing better fuel economy and yielding high power, the new lumps will need to be stout enough to take the abuse of multiple races without popping. Here's to the future.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/10/officia...re-four-cylind/

5 Engines per Season
12'000 rpm.

The 5 engines per season sounds interesting. Wonder what tech they will bring to the table (which might see life in production cars towards 2018/2020).

Lancer007
This makes me excited. But at the same time I feel like most of the rule changes and implementations in F1 are arbitrary and aggravating.
Bjorn
12,000 RPM?

What's the fun in that?
Aircooled
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Dec 10 2010, 05:08 PM) *
Soon we can all say goodbye to the high-revving V8s currently shrieking their way around the world's Formula One circuits. F1 has officially enacted new rules that require all teams to run a new turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine design by 2013. In addition, the maximum engine speed will be reduced from the current 18,000 rpm to a maximum of 12,000 rpm.

All told, the changes are expected to allow the vehicles to use around 35 percent less fuel than the outgoing eight-pots, even while churning out very similar power numbers. While neither the FIA nor F1 organizers are willing to throw out any solid numbers, there is word that the engines will use high-pressure gasoline injectors that can dump fuel into the combustion chamber at up to 7,251 psi.

Atomization? Yeah, it looks like they've got that covered.

Interestingly enough, F1 is also moving to limit the number of engines (again) that a team can use during a season. Right now, the rules allow for a stable of eight engines, though by 2013, that number will drop to five before falling to four soon after. That would mean on top of nabbing better fuel economy and yielding high power, the new lumps will need to be stout enough to take the abuse of multiple races without popping. Here's to the future.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/10/officia...re-four-cylind/

5 Engines per Season
12'000 rpm.

The 5 engines per season sounds interesting. Wonder what tech they will bring to the table (which might see life in production cars towards 2018/2020).

How did you manage to copy and paste off the website and have 1.6 change to 2.4?
eraser_rx
Please let mitsubishi and subaru enter the F1
moe
^ LOL, they'd go bankrupt so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

I can already imagine the ricers fantasizing about swapping turbo-four F1 engines into their Civics...
misnblu
Wow, I really don't know what to say about this.
Coming from the premier league of state of the art, are we actually letting ourselves be destroyed by tree huggers demanding we change things this much?

So Nascar is next with the 4 cylinders too?
I think IndyCars are in for the 4 bangers as well.
skr
The FIA has had a "greener" stance as of late, and tree hugging is attractive to global companies who share the same philosophies whom otherwise wouldn't look at F1 as a premier global marketing marquee.
bobo27
not a fan of turbo fours in F1. There is rumblings again that VW is now interested because of this rule change.
tune
In some respects I agree it's a shame potential sponsorship drives some of the changes, but it's another opportunity to see new technologies develop, which I'm all for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.