Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mid-Engined Exotics
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
So the NSX may be gone, but the mid-engined exotic segment is really, really heating up. What's your favorite?

Audi R8

Ferrari 458

Lamborghini Gallardo

Lotus Esprit

McLaren MP4-12C

Spyker C8 Aileron

Bjorn
Right now it's the Lambo.

I love the base R8 coupe, but the variants make my head hurt.

458 is beautiful, but too much computer for my taste.
moe
I debated including the Spyker here, but in the end I did, because it's the one I'd drive. The others all seem boring by comparison. Although I'm sure while the Spyker stays a niche car for loonies, the others will be/are crushingly competent. Can't wait to see the first comparison test between them all.

And Leif there are five, very straightforward variants of the R8, it's the Gallardo that gives me a headache. Seriously the stock 4WD, Spyder, Balboni, Superlegerra, Blancpain, Performente Spyder (or whatever the fuck)...
dukenukem
The Lotus is a lie.
MustangAficionado
Shoulda added the Noble instead of the Spyker IMO

Ferarri

Gallardo is my favorite Lambo since forever it seems, but nothing about it excites me when considering the best new mid engine exotic
misnblu
Audi R8.
Love the rest but something about the Audi sets my hormones off.
moe
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 25 2010, 04:19 AM) *
Shoulda added the Noble instead of the Spyker IMO

Not a great comparison there. The Noble's a LOT faster, and more expensive than any of the cars here. These cars are roughly in the same ballpark.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 24 2010, 11:37 PM) *
Not a great comparison there. The Noble's a LOT faster, and more expensive than any of the cars here. These cars are roughly in the same ballpark.

Noble is faster and Esprit doesn't exist.
moe
But it will, and it'll go head-to-head with these cars.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 25 2010, 02:47 AM) *
But it will, and it'll go head-to-head with these cars.

So right now we are voting on CG images and non moving prototype then. Gotcha.
clarkma5
I have a never-ending boner for the Gallardo, I can't help it. I do love the new McLaren though.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 24 2010, 09:37 PM) *

225-250k of the McLaren MP4-12C vs 300k Noble. I mean I understand based on this list, but if we're saying "ballpark"...

Suppose it's more of a super car, tho; granted. Great answer to those who find the 458 too geeky tho, manual gearbox (only), stainless frame, steel brakes w/ no ABS, no traction control, twin turbo V8.
350Z
I find it a little odd that the Esprit is LHD in the pics.
SwissWhiskey
New Stratos... woot.gif

430 Scud, in this list though it would be a white Gallardo with a Manual.
Phix
The Audi is ok.

The Ferrari is gorgeous and refreshing. Voted.

The Gallardo is... tired. As much as I love Lamborghini, I'm just tired of the line up at this point regardless of what new aero bits or engine tweaks they can slap on them.

The McLaren is... unoriginal? I want to like it but I just see so many different cars when I look at it, particularly Porsche. Maybe they deliberately went with a conservative design for their first step into the market as an independent, who knows.

The Spyker is DieselStation.

Oh, and the Lotus is utterly forgettable. Literally, I forgot about it in the initial list above hence the tacking on at the end. Also, a lot of strong Japanese design vibes from it.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Nov 26 2010, 08:25 PM) *
The Spyker is DieselStation.

?
BadBoi
I voted McLaren. It really appeals to me as the simplest on that list. I really really like it, especially in black/dark grey. That said, it was a close call between that and the Italia.
BlackJack
Audi R8 for me. Ever since it came out, I've always been a fan. Even with the variants out, I love it more and more. Small, simple, fucking fast.
Frederf
And the Porsche Carrera GT wins the poll!
OHirtenfelder
Audi.

It came out, kicked ass really hard. Is achingly beautiful, and it came from a manufacturer that has never built an actual supercar!

Stunning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.